How to look behind you in third person shooters?

lerodemmy

I’m primarily a console/controller gamer, but I’m trying to learn mouse and keyboard.  One thing I think is really important that I can’t figure out how to do, is running forward while having the camera looking behind you.  This is very useful in the third person shooters I play.  Can anyone give me some tips on how to do this?

CPUIntel Core i9-14900K I GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming I MotherboardAsus ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming I RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB I SSDSamsung 980 Pro 2TB I PSUCorsair RM1000x (2021) I Cooler: Corsair iCUE Link H150i I CaseCorsair 5000D Airflow I FansCorsair QX120 x10 Cables: Corsair Premium Individually Sleeved Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB I MouseCorsair Nightsabre Wireless Mouse Pad: Asus ROG Sheath Monitor: Aorus FV43U 

If you are turning around by looking to the right: wwwwwwwwwwwwwdssssssssssssssssss

If you are turning around by looking to the left: wwwwwwwwwwwwwwassssssssssssssssss

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Turn the mouse to look behind you, walk backwards by pressing the S key.

Some games also have a button to toggle free look which allow you to move the mouse around to change view without changing the direction your character is facing. This is game dependant and you will need to check the key bindings in settings to see if the game has it and what button it is.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 hours ago, Spotty said:

Turn the mouse to look behind you, walk backwards by pressing the S key.

Is that really how you walk *forward*?

4 hours ago, lerodemmy said:

is running forward while having the camera looking behind you

i mean i could totally see this being reversed because you're looking *backwards*

Not that different to a controller, but on controller you just keep pressing *forward* instead of switching walk / run direction.

And before anyone says it, yes running forward while looking behind you is super important in third person action games usually, gotta see where the monster (enemie) is thats chasing you ,obviously!  🙂

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

19 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

And before anyone says it, yes running forward while looking behind you is super important in third person action games usually, gotta see where the monster (enemie) is thats chasing you ,obviously!  🙂

Yes.  very important in Resident Evil games.

CPUIntel Core i9-14900K I GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming I MotherboardAsus ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming I RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB I SSDSamsung 980 Pro 2TB I PSUCorsair RM1000x (2021) I Cooler: Corsair iCUE Link H150i I CaseCorsair 5000D Airflow I FansCorsair QX120 x10 Cables: Corsair Premium Individually Sleeved Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB I MouseCorsair Nightsabre Wireless Mouse Pad: Asus ROG Sheath Monitor: Aorus FV43U 

I rarely come across games that have this. I also don't like it because it's disorienting as fuck to me.

The game either implements it and you can find in in the controls or you just look behind you with mouse and walk backwards while doing it.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

15 hours ago, tikker said:

I rarely come across games that have this. I also don't like it because it's disorienting as fuck to me.

To me everything first person  is disorienting as hell. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

However as said many games incorporate this "looking behind you thing" into their gameplay and i really like doing it, i often clear levels mostly using this view (i also like to have the camera as low as possible) it just gives me a sense of being in control of everything, sure you need  to look ahead as well, but often its the things behind you that get you lol 

15 hours ago, tikker said:

walk backwards while doing it.

so you really gotta switch from forward to backward ? (w / s on keyboard?)    

That is similar as with some older games that have "tank controls" usually with fixed camera, but not necessarily, can have 3d camera as well.

Now that's something many people find disorienting/annoying and it can be,  although i love it, many of my favorite games have tank controls ( the first Resident Evil games, Fatal Frame, Dino Crisis, etc)

i mean its probably not a huge issue on m/kb controls if you're used to it, to me it seems weird, i dont play games with m/kb ever, its actually super confusing and feels slow. Of course most games i play are made with using a controller in mind anyway.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

To me everything first person  is disorienting as hell. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

However as said many games incorporate this "looking behind you thing" into their gameplay and i really like doing it, i often clear levels mostly using this view (i also like to have the camera as low as possible) it just gives me a sense of being in control of everything, sure you need  to look ahead as well, but often its the things behind you that get you lol 

so you really gotta switch from forward to backward ? (w / s on keyboard?)    

That is similar as with some older games that have "tank controls" usually with fixed camera, but not necessarily, can have 3d camera as well.

Now that's something many people find disorienting/annoying and it can be,  although i love it, many of my favorite games have tank controls ( the first Resident Evil games, Fatal Frame, Dino Crisis, etc)

i mean its probably not a huge issue on m/kb controls if you're used to it, to me it seems weird, i dont play games with m/kb ever, its actually super confusing and feels slow. Of course most games i play are made with using a controller in mind anyway.

You just smoothly transition by the required combination of WASD and mouse or left stick and right stick. It's not hard if your familiar with playing games with keyboard and mouse. Tank controls are indeed confusing nowadays, because they're player based instead of camera based. Remakes (such as of RE) often have alternate or "modern" control scheme that are not tank control in my experience.

Nothing beats aiming or camera movement with mouse for me. It's so direct and accurate. 3rd person games often feel nice with a controller for movement, but I almost always go back to keyboard and mouse as it just feels tigher overall.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

17 minutes ago, tikker said:

Remakes (such as of RE) often have alternate or "modern" control scheme that are not tank control in my experience.

Yeah, but it takes away a huge factor what made these games so unique in the first place, ive been playing RE Outbreak recently and its probably easily my fav RE game, so corny lol, but the only reason zombies / monsters are scary is due to the extremely limited player movement, otherwise you'd just run circles around them (which i did in RE remake especially lol)

23 minutes ago, tikker said:

Nothing beats aiming or camera movement with mouse for me. It's so direct and accurate. 3rd person games often feel nice with a controller for movement, but I almost always go back to keyboard and mouse as it just feels tigher overall.

yeah, i can see that, its just a preference thing and what someone's used to i guess, and well aiming is probably better with kbm for sure, but the games i play arent really designed around  precise aiming, so its not an issue. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity