DT 770 Pro for casual, non analytical music?

CrispyNacho6927

Hello. I've been wanting to get into the audiophile world for quite some time now and currently have the Cowin E7 Pro for my daily. I love how these sound but they can get muddy in the bass and sometimes even distort in the low end.

I've been looking at the DT 770 Pros and there are a lot of mixed feelings about them for casual listening. Some absolutely love it and some hate it. I will be using a Topping NX1S portable dac/amp to

pair with the headphones I buy.

Are these a good choice or should I be looking for a different set of headphones? If yes, any suggestions? My budget is around 200 dollars. Thank you! 

I have a pair of DT770 Pro 250ohm that are excellent. The only real complaint I personally have is I hate the coiled cable. It does not work well for me in my setup since the headphones come in from my right so it pulls and tugs. I had to get an extension to be able to alleviate this and not pull on the coil to add extra tension/stress on it. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I have a pair of DT770 Pro 250ohm that are excellent. The only real complaint I personally have is I hate the coiled cable. It does not work well for me in my setup since the headphones come in from my right so it pulls and tugs. I had to get an extension to be able to alleviate this and not pull on the coil to add extra tension/stress on it. 

I'll be buying the 80ohm version so the coiled cable wouldn't be a worry for me. Many people say that the highs are piercing. What is your opinion on that? Thanks! 

Just now, CrispyNacho6927 said:

I'll be buying the 80ohm version so the coiled cable wouldn't be a worry for me. Many people say that the highs are piercing. What is your opinion on that? Thanks! 

I am tone deaf to high tones, but I can hear them at times.. especially with people who annunciate there S's harshly. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

I am tone deaf to high tones, but I can hear them at times.. especially with people who annunciate there S's harshly. 

I see. Well thank you for your help! I appreciate it.

It's the treble that can cause fatigue easily. I had the 770 250 and I love its bass but this type of treble is fatiguing that made me sell it. 

And the piercing treble are usually referred to harsh "sss" like in voices. Those are the real issue, you don't want that. Fortunately the 770 doesn't have painfull sss. 

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

58 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

It's the treble that can cause fatigue easily. I had the 770 250 and I love its bass but this type of treble is fatiguing that made me sell it. 

And the piercing treble are usually referred to harsh "sss" like in voices. Those are the real issue, you don't want that. Fortunately the 770 doesn't have painfull sss. 

Does eq help?

1 hour ago, CrispyNacho6927 said:

Does eq help?

I don't remember, I tend not to use EQ if purpose for headphones is for a lot of content and sources. 

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

6 hours ago, CrispyNacho6927 said:

Hello. I've been wanting to get into the audiophile world for quite some time now and currently have the Cowin E7 Pro for my daily. I love how these sound but they can get muddy in the bass and sometimes even distort in the low end.

I've been looking at the DT 770 Pros and there are a lot of mixed feelings about them for casual listening. Some absolutely love it and some hate it. I will be using a Topping NX1S portable dac/amp to

pair with the headphones I buy.

Are these a good choice or should I be looking for a different set of headphones? If yes, any suggestions? My budget is around 200 dollars. Thank you! 

they can be pretty good for casual listening but to me fall under more analytical than casual listening. if you want a cood smooth or smoother sounding closed back. the akg k371,k361, m40x , and if you can find them for the price the B and o h6 may all be a better direction to go

12 hours ago, CrispyNacho6927 said:

I would only recommend the higher ohmage variants. If you don't want to go with the higher-ohmage variants, It'd probably be best to look elsewhere.

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

The best thing you can do with regards to headphones is to actually listen to a few things before you buy something. Obviously, with a global pandemic in full-force, that can be difficult. Everyone has different preferences, and there are a lot of people who will rave about a particular headphone, but that's the only decent pair of headphones they've ever heard, so they don't have anything to compare them to. 

I've tried a reasonable number of headphones (though not as many as some people), and the ones I liked the most were Grado SR225s. I really think they sound pretty good, and so far I haven't found any headphones that I like better. I find them to be very unfatiguing. I consider them to be reasonably accurate, though I still find myself making changes when I switch back to the Quested monitors. 

4 hours ago, H713 said:

The best thing you can do with regards to headphones is to actually listen to a few things before you buy something. Obviously, with a global pandemic in full-force, that can be difficult. Everyone has different preferences, and there are a lot of people who will rave about a particular headphone, but that's the only decent pair of headphones they've ever heard, so they don't have anything to compare them to. 

I've tried a reasonable number of headphones (though not as many as some people), and the ones I liked the most were Grado SR225s. I really think they sound pretty good, and so far I haven't found any headphones that I like better. I find them to be very unfatiguing. I consider them to be reasonably accurate, though I still find myself making changes when I switch back to the Quested monitors. 

Yeah I won't be able to test any headphones out by myself considering I live in India and the situation here is very, very bad right now. Also the Grados are not available for purchase here. What about the DT 990s?

9 hours ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

I would only recommend the higher ohmage variants. If you don't want to go with the higher-ohmage variants, It'd probably be best to look elsewhere.

I see. What about the DT 990s? Thoughts?

16 hours ago, rice guru said:

they can be pretty good for casual listening but to me fall under more analytical than casual listening. if you want a cood smooth or smoother sounding closed back. the akg k371,k361, m40x , and if you can find them for the price the B and o h6 may all be a better direction to go

I do not like the plasticky build of the K371s. Thoughts on the DT 990s?

4 hours ago, CrispyNacho6927 said:

I do not like the plasticky build of the K371s. Thoughts on the DT 990s?

The k371 is plasticky but built well enough. If the 770s are too analytical for you I would not reccomend the 990 as the treble is more sharp  and less forgiving than the 770. If you want a more relaxed sound I would honestly go with the 880 instead.

1 hour ago, rice guru said:

The k371 is plasticky but built well enough. If the 770s are too analytical for you I would not reccomend the 990 as the treble is more sharp  and less forgiving than the 770. If you want a more relaxed sound I would honestly go with the 880 instead.

I see. Sadly the 880s where I live are over my budget. Thanks for the help!

1 hour ago, CrispyNacho6927 said:

I see. Sadly the 880s where I live are over my budget. Thanks for the help!

How about the beyerdynamic tygr? If you buy directly from beyerdynamic it could be within budget.

Edit: just noticed you live in India so highly chance the tygr is stupid hard to get. A headphone the may do what you need within budget is the akg k612 or akg q701.

On 5/5/2021 at 12:26 AM, rice guru said:

How about the beyerdynamic tygr? If you buy directly from beyerdynamic it could be within budget.

Edit: just noticed you live in India so highly chance the tygr is stupid hard to get. A headphone the may do what you need within budget is the akg k612 or akg q701.

Yeah even the AKG Q701s aren't available here. I was eyeing the Hifiman HE400i, and just after a day they shot up in price from 160 dollars to 230 dollars for some reason. So I guess I'll just wait for those to come down in price and buy those instead. Thanks for your help!