be quiet! Shadow Wings 2 doesn't seem to exhaust much air

kingmustard

I have:

• Silverstone PF240-ARGB AIO CPU cooler (2x 120mm fans) (top of case)
    • I run the fans at a flat 20%, which the UEFI reports as 645 RPM. Range is 600-2200 RPM.
    • I run the pump at a flat 20%, which the UEFI reports as 3260 RPM. Upper range is 3400 RPM. Not sure about lower range.

• 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro PWM (140mm, 122 CFM, 500-1800 RPM, PWM, HSP) (front of case)
    • I run both fans at a flat 20%
      • Fan 1 - UEFI reports as 715-750 RPM
      • Fan 2 - UEFI reports as 560-575 RPM
    • If I run at a flat 25% (becomes audible, so I'd prefer not to), the UEFI reports:
      • Fan 1 - 845-880 RPM
      • Fan 2 - 670-690 RPM

• be quiet! Shadow Wings 2 (120mm, 39 CFM, 450-1100 RPM, PWM) (rear of case)
    • I run the fan at a flat 90%, which the UEFI reports as 1135 RPM.

Full system details here.

Whilst the Bitfenix fans seem to push quite a bit of air, even at 20% speed, the be quiet! fan doesn't seem to push much air out of the back of my case, even at 100%.

CPU and GPU both idle around 35C-40C.

However, whilst the CPU is fine under load (65C), the GPU's (80-85C) metal backplate when under load is so hot that you can't even touch it. It's not ideal.

Granted, the be quiet! fan is very quiet, but perhaps it's the wrong choice for my setup?

The Bitfenix fans are also larger.

How are you determining that the fan isn't pushing much air? Specs and load temps?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

The Bitfenix fans are also larger.

How are you determining that the fan isn't pushing much air? Specs and load temps?

When I set the rear fan to 100% and push the system hard, not much warm air seems to be exhausted.

Even if I put a piece of paper near it, it doesn't seem to blow much.

I guess I just want to make sure the exhaust fan is adequate to remove a good amount of warm air out of the case.

Prove me wrong but i think be quiet fans are more effective on lower RPMs so i wouldnt worry too much. And if the temps are right why bother? Also its i the name "be quiet!" So they might have been deisgned to be quiet and not airflow optimized 😉

Ping me or quote me in replys ples. Anyone talking about AiOs and trashing people for a front mount watch THIS JAYZTWOCENTS VID because u 99.9% skipped or didnt understand the Gamers Nexus vid...

Spoiler

Also pineapple doesnt go on pizza

On 5/2/2021 at 8:43 PM, kingmustard said:

I guess I just want to make sure the exhaust fan is adequate

Look at your load temps. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Look at your load temps. 

They're high (65C CPU, 85C GPU), so something isn't working as well as I can.

As I said, I run all fans low, in order to keep the computer quiet, but the exhaust is at 100% and it doesn't appear to be pushing much hot air out, so I thought that was the issue.

Thinking about it, since the radiator fans are pushing air through the radiator (which is up top), a lot of the case heat it probably being exhausted through the top of the case.

5 hours ago, kingmustard said:

They're high (65C CPU, 85C GPU), so something isn't working as well as I can.

As I said, I run all fans low, in order to keep the computer quiet, but the exhaust is at 100% and it doesn't appear to be pushing much hot air out, so I thought that was the issue.

Thinking about it, since the radiator fans are pushing air through the radiator (which is up top), a lot of the case heat it probably being exhausted through the top of the case.

That's fairly low for the cpu and fine for the gpu. 

The issue may be your front intake. What rpm are you running those fans at? Try removing the front panel and seeing how load temps change.

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

That's fairly low for the cpu and fine for the gpu. 

The issue may be your front intake. What rpm are you running those fans at? Try removing the front panel and seeing how load temps change.

CPU and GPU both idle around 35C-40C.

However, whilst the CPU is fine under load (65C), the GPU's (80-85C) metal backplate when under load is so hot that you can't even touch it. It's not ideal. It's a 2080 Founders Edition. The fan curve isn't very aggressive.

I run the 2x front fans (Bitfenix Spectre Pro PWM (140mm, 122 CFM, 500-1800 RPM, PWM, HSP)) at 20% each. At 25%, they're audible, which annoys me 😂

EDIT: I set both intake fans to 25% and removed the front panel but the temperatures didn't change much. I have added the RPMs/ranges to the first post.

i have 120mm bequiet pure wings 2, theyre incredibly strong, try getting those instead

And yes, i did the "paper test" even at low rpm they're very strong and move a lot of air.

7 hours ago, kingmustard said:

85C GPU

yeah, that is hot, im getting a crisis when mine is above 60C! 👀

7 hours ago, kingmustard said:

run all fans low, in order to keep the computer quiet, but the exhaust is at 100%

Percentage is a bit of a useless measurement here, you gotta look at rpms, all my fans run at around  1000rpm under load, front intakes around 1500rpm and they're near inaudible (2x noctua 120mm)

this is with front panel off, the only thing thats too loud in my PC is the PSU (RMI) i gotta figure something out for this, idally replace  with noctua fan i guess, but i dont really want to open the PSU)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

58 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

i have 120mm bequiet pure wings 2, theyre incredibly strong, try getting those instead

And yes, i did the "paper test" even at low rpm they're very strong and move a lot of air.

yeah, that is hot, im getting a crisis when mine is above 60C! 👀

Percentage is a bit of a useless measurement here, you gotta look at rpms, all my fans run at around  1000rpm under load, front intakes around 1500rpm and they're near inaudible (2x noctua 120mm)

this is with front panel off, the only thing thats too loud in my PC is the PSU (RMI) i gotta figure something out for this, idally replace  with noctua fan i guess, but i dont really want to open the PSU)

I have added the RPMs/ranges to the first post.

11 hours ago, kingmustard said:

However, whilst the CPU is fine under load (65C), the GPU's (80-85C) metal backplate when under load is so hot that you can't even touch it. It's not ideal. It's a 2080 Founders Edition. The fan curve isn't very aggressive.

It doesn't take very high temps to be too hot to touch especially with metal. This is normal and you shouldn't be using your hands to determine whether your graphics cards card is cooled well enough. 85c at load is fine.  

Funny how people think 85 is high... Let me boil water on my 5700 XT rq 🤣

Ping me or quote me in replys ples. Anyone talking about AiOs and trashing people for a front mount watch THIS JAYZTWOCENTS VID because u 99.9% skipped or didnt understand the Gamers Nexus vid...

Spoiler

Also pineapple doesnt go on pizza