Kernel-Power 41 (63) PLEASE HELP!

Dukie
Go to solution Solved by Dukie,
On 5/12/2021 at 12:22 PM, Dukie said:

I update this post with very sad news. As I was editing a video in Davinci Resolve 17 my computer had another KP41 (63) crash. Then I went to update this post and it crashed again and again! I have lost count of how many times it’s crashed. It has also crashed in the bios and during automatic repair. It’s gotten so bad today that I’m writing this out on my phone because my pc is seriously unstable right now and I can barely use it. I need some serious help with this issue! I was able to get a crash dump this time luckily!

Crashdump.PNG

It has been almost 1 month since my last KP41 crash. The solution I found that worked was completely wiping my computer and starting over. God bless your soul if you have the same problem.

I upgraded my CPU back on 01/23/21 from an i5-9600k to a i9-9900kf and everything worked fine for 1 month then I started getting random Black Screen crashes with no BSOD. I have tried absolutely everything I can possibly think of in order to fix this issue but it just won't go away!!! Also it is not able to create a memory dump once it crashes either. If anyone has any ideas of what can cause this issue or how to fix it I'd be extremely grateful. Here's the event viewer log and my current system specs listed below...

- System

- Provider
      [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
      [ Guid] {331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}

EventID 41

Version 8

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000400000000002

- TimeCreated
      [ SystemTime] 2021-05-02T04:03:15.7252329Z

EventRecordID 12015

Correlation

- Execution
      [ ProcessID] 4
      [ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer DESKTOP-LKDSTN9

- Security
      [ UserID] S-1-5-18
- EventData
    BugcheckCode 0
    BugcheckParameter1 0x0
    BugcheckParameter2 0x0
    BugcheckParameter3 0x0
    BugcheckParameter4 0x0
    SleepInProgress 0
    PowerButtonTimestamp 0
    BootAppStatus 0
    Checkpoint 0
    ConnectedStandbyInProgress false
    SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 1
    CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0
    BugcheckInfoFromEFI false
    CheckpointStatus 0
    CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2 0
    LongPowerButtonPressDetected false

System Specs:

CPU: i9-9900kf

GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2060 Super Founders Edition

MOBO: Gigabyte Z390UD

RAM: Oloy Warhawk RGB (4x16gb)

COOLER: Corsair H100i Platinum

CASE: Corsair Spec-06

PSU: Corsair CX750F RGB 750W

M.2: Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

SSD: ADATA SU760 512GB

Clear (reset) and update your BIOS.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

48 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Clear (reset) and update your BIOS.

Already tried that and it did not work 😞

1 minute ago, Dukie said:

Already tried that and it did not work 😞

Are you certain your mobo expressly supports this CPU?

Are you sure the CPU is good?

Try this:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

40 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Are you certain your mobo expressly supports this CPU?

Are you sure the CPU is good?

Try this:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Tried the Processor Diag Tool and it gave it a pass across all 8 cores however I am unsure if there's a issue with incompatibility between the Gigabyte Z390UD motherboard and an i9-9900kf. That motherboard does accept 8th & 9th gen intel cpu's so I wouldn't assume that would be the problem. 

*Update* This cpu is on the support list for this motherboard.

Ok, the CPU passed Intel's own diag test, and the mobo supports it, so safe to assume the CPU isn't the issue.

Black Screen crashes *typically* indicate a loss of power under load.

I assume it's doing this while under load?

Could also be overheating. Are you monitoring CPU and GPU temps in real-time?

6 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Ok, the CPU passed Intel's own diag test, and the mobo supports it, so safe to assume the CPU isn't the issue.

Black Screen crashes *typically* indicate a loss of power under load.

I assume it's doing this while under load?

Could also be overheating. Are you monitoring CPU and GPU temps in real-time?

Just ran Cinebench R23 for a 10 minute benchmark. Average temps was 87.75C (Core #2 being the highest at 93C and lowest being Core #6 at 81C under full load) with a score of 11813 pts. Also Heaven Benchmark at ultra settings, 2560x1440p resolution gave a score of 1730 with an average fps 68.7 and the temps peaked at 75C. The CPU temps seem high to me and this is the first time I've seen them exceed 90C.

*Update* Re-ran Cinebench R23 after tightening down the cooler a little more. Average temps was 85.375C (Core #2 again being the highest at 91C and lowest being Core #7 at 80C under full load) with a score of 11783 points.

What about GPUTemps?

7 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

What about GPUTemps?

Oh sorry when I was talking about running Heaven that was the GPU temps. Heaven Benchmark at ultra settings, 2560x1440p resolution gave a score of 1730 with an average fps 68.7 and the temps peaked at 75C for the Rtx 2060 Super.

*Another Update for CPU Temps* I cleaned off and reapplied thermal paste to the cpu and saw a massive drop in thermals! Cinebench R23 multicore benchmark test came back with average core temps being 77.25C (Core #2 and #4 were the highest at 80C and Cores #6 and #7 being the lowest at 74C under full load) with a score of 12190. I'm much more satisfied with these numbers!

Cooling down both will help, are you still seeing crashes?

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Cooling down both will help, are you still seeing crashes?

Haven’t had a crash in 2 days. Not sure why but they do happen randomly. I recently fixed error 0xc0000035 and that may or may not of been the reason why I’m not seeing any crashes now.

Lack of crashing is good. If you get any more BSoDs, upload the crash dumps here.

Fingers crossed!

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

Lack of crashing is good. If you get any more BSoDs, upload the crash dumps here.

Fingers crossed!

Well that's the thing. Whenever it does crash no .dmp file is created because the crash happens so suddenly that the bugcheckcode is 0 which is an inaccurate code being thrown. What could be the cause of no .dmp file being created when crashing?

11 hours ago, Dukie said:

Well that's the thing. Whenever it does crash no .dmp file is created because the crash happens so suddenly that the bugcheckcode is 0 which is an inaccurate code being thrown. What could be the cause of no .dmp file being created when crashing?

Hardware issues (or an XMP or OCing gone badly wrong)

Sudden crash to black screen is either overheating or insufficient power under load.

18 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Hardware issues (or an XMP or OCing gone badly wrong)

Sudden crash to black screen is either overheating or insufficient power under load.

Not sure if it's the XMP because the motherboard supports up to 4133mhz (4266mhz when OC'd) for RAM and my 4x16gb (64gb total) of RAM is at 3200mhz. Also nothing is OC'd on my pc at the moment. I've also got a 750w PSU which provides enough power to my current rig. It's starting to look more and more like it was a overheating issue on the cpu. Brought down the cpu temps 10C overall after cleaning and reapplying new thermal paste and haven't had a crash in 4 days. I'm still fairly new to pc's since I just got into learning them in December of 2019. So my question is what should I look for to fix the issue of no .dmp file being created upon crashing?

3 hours ago, Dukie said:

Not sure if it's the XMP because the motherboard supports up to 4133mhz (4266mhz when OC'd) for RAM and my 4x16gb (64gb total) of RAM is at 3200mhz. Also nothing is OC'd on my pc at the moment. I've also got a 750w PSU which provides enough power to my current rig. It's starting to look more and more like it was a overheating issue on the cpu. Brought down the cpu temps 10C overall after cleaning and reapplying new thermal paste and haven't had a crash in 4 days. I'm still fairly new to pc's since I just got into learning them in December of 2019. So my question is what should I look for to fix the issue of no .dmp file being created upon crashing?

Well, an overheat and instant off (what they call a "thermal shutdown") won't create a crash file anyway.

So if it's heat-related, then there is nothing you can do other than keep the system cool.

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

Well, an overheat and instant off (what they call a "thermal shutdown") won't create a crash file anyway.

So if it's heat-related, then there is nothing you can do other than keep the system cool.

Ok! Well I feel a lot better about this now because things are making a lot more sense. Should've monitored my thermals before I went out and bought/installed  a new PSU lol. Thanks for the help!

10 minutes ago, Dukie said:

Ok! Well I feel a lot better about this now because things are making a lot more sense. Should've monitored my thermals before I went out and bought/installed  a new PSU lol. Thanks for the help!

No worries, keep us in the loop should things go south

On 5/5/2021 at 6:50 PM, Radium_Angel said:

No worries, keep us in the loop should things go south

It just crashed again! Oh man just when I thought I had figured it out too...

I was just looking on Google and out of no where it just black screened! I'm noticing in the Event Viewer that 1 minute before it crashed I got a PerfNet 2004 error and then EventLog 6008 error as well.

30 minutes ago, Dukie said:

It just crashed again! Oh man just when I thought I had figured it out too...

I was just looking on Google and out of no where it just black screened! I'm noticing in the Event Viewer that 1 minute before it crashed I got a PerfNet 2004 error and then EventLog 6008 error as well.

Don't you just love inconsistent problems like that?

Tell you what, just to eliminate the heat as a root cause, run your system with the side panel off for a bit, this will improve airflow and should (in theory anyway) eliminate overheating as an issue.

5 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Don't you just love inconsistent problems like that?

Tell you what, just to eliminate the heat as a root cause, run your system with the side panel off for a bit, this will improve airflow and should (in theory anyway) eliminate overheating as an issue.

There’s a possibility we were looking in the wrong place the entire time but solved other issues that are unrelated to the random crashes along the way. Here’s what I did...

Went through Driver Verifier Manager and disabled Logitech Drivers. Restarted the computer and 10 seconds after logging in I got this BSOD. This means that the Logitech Drivers are causing interference with the OS!!!

Here is a really interesting piece of information! I think this is in fact a bad driver issue causing KP41 crashes. Went to Control Panel and looked at all the Logitech drivers I have installed and sure enough I found a Logitech Unicode driver that was installed on 02/23/21.... The same day I had the very first KP41 crash! So I uninstalled that particular driver and now I play the waiting game! 

*Update* Had another KP41 crash after uninstalling the first Logitech program. Went to uninstall Logitech Ghub from the Control Panel and no matter what I did it would not uninstall successfully even though it said it did. Search around in the files under (C):/Program Files/ LGHUB and deleted the entire LGHUB folder then I was able to uninstall it successfully from the Control Panel. Thought it was very odd that it could not uninstall normally. Maybe Logitech GHUB is the culprit behind the crashes?

12 hours ago, Dukie said:

Maybe Logitech GHUB is the culprit behind the crashes?

It certainly can be. The real trick with troubleshooting is we can only go off what we know, or what is told to us.

The general rule of thumb for troubleshooting is "check for viruses or malware" first, and most people say "ya ya ya ya nothin' there" 

Maybe they did a scan, maybe they just "knew" their system was clean.

So we move on to other things. No one ever mentions stuff like that Logitech software, or their weird 3rd party RGB software from a nowhereistan developer that they found on a sketchy chinese website. It couoldn't possibly be an issue because it came with a self-signed totally legit driver certificate!

I'm of the opinion that the less software installed and/or running resident, the better off I am.

(Case in point, what autostarts on my system is CPUTemp, GPUTemp and MalwareBytes. That's it.) 

Long story short (too late!) we'll only know if that was an issue if the problem goes away. The reason it wouldn't install is possibly due to a Service that was running that wouldn't gracefully shut down. Logitech are good like that. So is McAfee and Norton.

Off-topic:

In the days prior to Windows 10, poorly written software didn't crash a system, it took bad hardware to do that. Come Win10, I"m seeing bad drivers, bad software causing all manner of chaos/BSoDs and as a long-time IT person, it irritates me that we are stepping back to the dark days of Win95/Win98, but that's a rant for another thread.

8 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

It certainly can be. The real trick with troubleshooting is we can only go off what we know, or what is told to us.

So here is my game plan for now. I'm going to leave my computer running for the next 48-96 hours and if I experience 0 crashes I'm going to confidently say that I believe it was Logitech's GHUB software that was causing the KP41 crashes for some reason. Only time will tell but give me a few days with using my computer BAU and I will get back to you if anything goes south. Fingers crossed!

On 5/8/2021 at 6:00 PM, Dukie said:

So here is my game plan for now. I'm going to leave my computer running for the next 48-96 hours and if I experience 0 crashes I'm going to confidently say that I believe it was Logitech's GHUB software that was causing the KP41 crashes for some reason. Only time will tell but give me a few days with using my computer BAU and I will get back to you if anything goes south. Fingers crossed!

As an update I've let my computer run for over 36 hours without turning it off and normal use such as video editing/recording watching videos, playing Valve Index VR, there has been 0 KP41 (63) crashes! I'm going to say the problem was with incompatibility with Microsoft Corporation Drivers and Logitech GHUB Drivers because as soon as I uninstalled Logitech GHUB the problem went away! Glad that this is finally figured out!

On 5/10/2021 at 11:41 AM, Dukie said:

As an update I've let my computer run for over 36 hours without turning it off and normal use such as video editing/recording watching videos, playing Valve Index VR, there has been 0 KP41 (63) crashes! I'm going to say the problem was with incompatibility with Microsoft Corporation Drivers and Logitech GHUB Drivers because as soon as I uninstalled Logitech GHUB the problem went away! Glad that this is finally figured out!

I update this post with very sad news. As I was editing a video in Davinci Resolve 17 my computer had another KP41 (63) crash. Then I went to update this post and it crashed again and again! I have lost count of how many times it’s crashed. It has also crashed in the bios and during automatic repair. It’s gotten so bad today that I’m writing this out on my phone because my pc is seriously unstable right now and I can barely use it. I need some serious help with this issue! I was able to get a crash dump this time luckily!

Crashdump.PNG