New windows 10 update only supports newer CPUs?

Pantalaimon

No matter how I've tried to install this update I've had constant blue screens, after ages of going though forums one user mentioned the 20H2 update only supports newer CPU's and Ram, I have a i7 4790k and find it hard to believe Microsoft would drop support however after hours of trouble shooting and trying every method of updating windows I cannot find any hardware fault and I've updated and reinstalled drivers so I know the software is fine, and in older versions of windows 10 my PC works fine, so does anyone know for sure if the 20H2 update is dropping support for older CPU's?

I guess I'll be stuck in this build for ever if so 馃槙

No that's totally wrong.聽

F@H
Desktop:聽i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0,聽Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO,聽Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro聽RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan),聽Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

No that's totally wrong.聽

Any idea why a windows update would cause a crash?

I've reinstalled all drivers and tested ram, I cant find any faults with my systems and in previous versions of windows 10 it works great.

I've spent the whole day trying to get the update to work and checking forums with no luck, even made an account here to find a solution but nobody responded to my post 馃槙

i know this to be wrong for a fact...

having recently installed that very update on a 2nd gen core i5 last week, and done 'worse' in the past.

if you're facing constant bluescreens, thats most likely either some corruption of OS files, or a broken driver.

mind you.. a bluescreen can actually be the cause for more bluescreens if it happens at the wrong time, for example while finishing windows updates.

few troubleshooting steps:

- run cmd as administrator and type "sfc /scannow" -- this'll ensure that there's no errors in core windows files.聽

- dig trough event viewer to look for any driver related errors, or to look at what the bluescreens had for an error code. (usually it's only one, or a mixture of 2-3 codes, all pointing towards the same issue.)

- run windows update.. yes, as stupid as it may sound.. maybe just doing a driver update (those are usually optionals that dont download automatically trough windows update) will fix the isssue.

- dont take one 'answer' for the root cause as a truth. i've seen plenty of cases where the majority of errors were saying "hardware issue", but it just ended up being a broken driver.

i'm running 20h2 on a first gen i7, so i would suggest its not specifically a windows issue...

whats the error shown on the blue聽screen?

Just now, Aragorn- said:

i'm running 20h2 on a first gen i7, so i would suggest its not specifically a windows issue...

whats the error shown on the blue聽screen?

Page Fault in non paged area,聽

I'm aware its a memory fault but I've tested my ram and all sticks work fine,

I've also uninstalled and updated my GPU drivers

And I've tried a clean install of windows.

I heard on another site one user fixed it with a bios update to his motherboard but I've never updated a bios before so mine has the bios it shipped with in 2015, but im unsure if even thats the issue.

12 minutes ago, Pantalaimon said:

Page Fault in non paged area,聽

I'm aware its a memory fault but I've tested my ram and all sticks work fine,

I've also uninstalled and updated my GPU drivers

And I've tried a clean install of windows.

I heard on another site one user fixed it with a bios update to his motherboard but I've never updated a bios before so mine has the bios it shipped with in 2015, but im unsure if even thats the issue.

An Un-Updated Bios can cause problems that's for sure.... that's why they have updates after all.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 hour ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

An Un-Updated Bios can cause problems that's for sure.... that's why they have updates after all.

Shortly after my last post my PC stopped working completely, I could only access the shell interface, couldnt use windows at all.

I managed to update my bios by using my phone to download it onto a memory stick and using the memory stick I was able to update the bios. Still didnt work however I was then able to do a clean install of windows, I lost 3tb of files and feel naked but now everything is working much better, I've sorted my drivers out again and am now just reinstalling programs and games for some reasions windows boot manager thinks I have 2 versions of windows installed but I've looked in the partitions and cant see anything but I'll sort that out in a bit

i'm running the latest insider dev build (which is a LOT newer than regular 20h2) on my pc, which has Xeon X5650 cpu's in it, which pre-date your 4790K by 6 years... and it runs just fine

She/Her

26 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

i'm running the latest insider dev build (which is a LOT newer than regular 20h2) on my pc, which has Xeon X5650 cpu's in it, which pre-date your 4790K by 6 years... and it runs just fine

Yea, I think it was either my bios or prehaps a driver error of some kind, the forum was wrong, it did however require a clean install of windows to fix, but its fixed and I'm on 20H2, hopefully it never happens again.

-> Moved to Windows

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv