Testing SSD Thermals or SLC Cache exhaustion (stuttering)

cloneman

I got an SSD in a refurb computer and it appears to really slow down a lot when after you write ~15gb to the drive. It also gets hot (reaches 60C during writes, 25C idle)

Is there a specific benchmark I can use to see if it's the SLC cache that's filling up or if it's a thermal limit on the drive? It's an obscure Super Talent 512gb Sata SSD. FTM51N325H

When it hits that limit, it becomes extremely slow , even the start menu or MSpaint takes 1 minute to open, file transfers drop to only 20MB/s

29 minutes ago, cloneman said:

I got an SSD in a refurb computer and it appears to really slow down a lot when after you write ~15gb to the drive. It also gets hot (reaches 60C during writes, 25C idle)

Is there a specific benchmark I can use to see if it's the SLC cache that's filling up or if it's a thermal limit on the drive? It's an obscure Super Talent 512gb Sata SSD. FTM51N325H

When it hits that limit, it becomes extremely slow , even the start menu or MSpaint takes 1 minute to open, file transfers drop to only 20MB/s

IIRC HDTune will slow the performance drop, which should give you an indication that the cache is exhausted. 

I assume you've searched the 'net for detailed information on the part number?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Put a fan blowing on it and see if lower temps make a difference?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020