Looking to upgrade my first PC build.

Go to solution Solved by 21rkosta,

Don't worry your doing great 🙂 (including Pcpartpicker list is much better then a lot of newbies).

That's a pretty solid build. I would say unless your having any specific issues (really long load times, heat issues, et cetera) the most obvious upgrade would be a cpu upgrade (GPUs are flat out too expensive right now especially because the one you have is pretty decent).

That said, what kind of monitor are you using. An upgrade to a 1440p 144hz monitor may be a much better investment then any other kind right now. If your monitor is 1080p 60hz then it's definetely your biggest weakpoint.

Hello people of the LTT forum, I was wondering what I could do to upgrade my computer that I bought a couple years ago. I built it myself (with help from Linus videos ad others) and I want to upgrade the overall performance of my PC. Here is the link to the parts list: parts list 
ps. I have not been on the forum before, so I don't know if asking for help with this kind of stuff is socially acceptable or something. Sorry if I did something wrong.

Don't worry your doing great 🙂 (including Pcpartpicker list is much better then a lot of newbies).

That's a pretty solid build. I would say unless your having any specific issues (really long load times, heat issues, et cetera) the most obvious upgrade would be a cpu upgrade (GPUs are flat out too expensive right now especially because the one you have is pretty decent).

That said, what kind of monitor are you using. An upgrade to a 1440p 144hz monitor may be a much better investment then any other kind right now. If your monitor is 1080p 60hz then it's definetely your biggest weakpoint.

Omega-  I5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 1060 | Cougar Panzer | DDR4 16GB 3000MHz | MSI Z170 Gaming M5

EVGA 650 GQ | AOC 60Hz Freesync Panels x2 | AOC 144hz Freesync Panel x1

Epsilon- I7 2700k | Asus GTX 970 | Corsair 780t | DDR3 8GB 1600MHz | EVGA Z68 FTW Mobo

Corsair 750W G2 | Acer R240HY x2

Upsilon- i7 5500u | 6GB DDR3 | 720p 60Hz panel

Assuming your use case is mostly gaming. Your difficulty is going to be finding a GPU upgrade with the current shortages and absurdly high demand, plus you have a decent GPU(and system in general) already.

It looks like your motherboard supports ryzen 5000 series, so you could get a 5600x to drop in, but you may not notice any appreciable gains without a better GPU.

I agree with @21rkosta, potentially a nicer tier monitor, or more fast storage would give some improvements. But with the hardware market the way it is, I doubt you'll easily find any parts available that would give you any big gains right now.

nice build! 
So I can only find two things that might be worth an upgrade if you're looking to.
PSU is ok, but you could upgrade to a 650-750 W PSU, better power rating, fully modular. it isn't needed but it would be a nice change if you've just got that upgrade itch. 

The other option is dependent on your current data setup.

IF you keep everything stored on your computer and don't have a backup, you could take that 3tb hdd, grab one more and a 2 bay nas and get your first nas setup started. If 500 gb isn't enough for pc program files you could bump that to a 1 tb  as well

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

4 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

nice build! 
So I can only find two things that might be worth an upgrade if you're looking to.
PSU is ok, but you could upgrade to a 650-750 W PSU, better power rating, fully modular. it isn't needed but it would be a nice change if you've just got that upgrade itch. 

The other option is dependent on your current data setup.

IF you keep everything stored on your computer and don't have a backup, you could take that 3tb hdd, grab one more and a 2 bay nas and get your first nas setup started. If 500 gb isn't enough for pc program files you could bump that to a 1 tb  as well

I don't have that valuable stuff on my pc so im not too worried about that. thanks though, ill look into it.

37 minutes ago, 21rkosta said:

I am using a MAG27CQ (I think that's it) so I have 144hz, although I don't yet have a 1440p monitor, so that would be a good upgrade to work towards.

<-- Moved to New Builds and Planning -->

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card