3060ti for VR gaming

Tommy-Cash

Hello, im looking to buy Oculus 2 (as I don't want to buy 1000$ VR headset) and use Virtual Machine to play some VR games as Half Life Alyx, Beatsaber. Will my 3060ti be able to run it fine? also have 8600k running at 4.9ghz and with 16gb 3000Mhz RAM. And what resolution you think it will be able to run for example Half Life Alyx on 90hz. Im noob in VR so, please yell at me if needed

Do you mean Quest 2 and Virtual Desktop? That's not really required anymore for wireless tethering. Oculus added AirLink capatibilities to the Quest 2 so you can tether/link to your gaming PC over WiFi. In my experience, it works better than streaming over Virtual Desktop. Best part it's free, whereas Virtual Desktop is $19.99. They're still rolling out the update (version 28) to devices, but you should have it very soon (took my HMD about a week since the rollout announcement). 

Other than that, the RTX 3060 Ti will drive it perfectly fine. 

Oh, didn't know about AirLink.Thank you. Would you say playing with cable(oculus link) is way better than playing with AirLink? Is link cable that necessary?

3 minutes ago, SPARTAN VI said:

Do you mean Quest 2 and Virtual Desktop? That's not really required anymore for wireless link. Oculus added AirLink capatibilities to the Quest 2 so you can tether/link to your gaming PC over WiFi. In my experience, it works better than streaming over Virtual Desktop. Best part it's free, whereas Virtual Desktop is $19.99. 

Other than that, the RTX 3060 Ti will drive it perfectly fine. 

2 hours ago, Tommy-Cash said:

Oh, didn't know about AirLink.Thank you. Would you say playing with cable(oculus link) is way better than playing with AirLink? Is link cable that necessary?

It's a trade off. With a physical USB link cable, i.e. Oculus Link, you get ironclad consistency, no occasional jitter or stutter, just works all the time. My setup uses retractable lanyard anchors on my ceiling to keep the cable above my HMD so I don't get tangled in my legs and arms, but it's still limiting my range of movement (e.g. I cannot keep turning in circles because the cable will bunch up).

AirLink is at a point where it works well for me, but I get occasional jitters and stutters on a game by game basis. Alyx works great, but Onward is a stuttery mess while Phasmophobia is somewhere in between. Overall I prefer AirLink because I can play in a room on the entirely opposite side of my house (granted I have excellent mesh coverage), but I'm keeping my OculusLink handy when WiFi conditions are less than ideal.