How is silence transmitted over radio

Linus No Beard
Go to solution Solved by Beerzerker,
25 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

it's actually a great question

since there's a constant static noise as background, how can radio transmit silence, which excludes the static background?

All it means is there is no modulation of the signal (Audio being carried by it) so you hear nothing. When you come across a blank station it's just an indication a signal on that frequency is being picked up.
The signal itself is just that and no more, it must have modulation of some kind for it to carry audio that you'd hear, the modulation being from the audio content it's supposed to be providing.
Think of modulation as the vibrations of a guitar string and the signal itself as the means/medium of providing the vibration to your radio so in turn, it can translate it through your speakers for you to hear where you are. 

when i have my radio not tuned to a station i get static but if i am tuned to a station and they are transmitting nothing then i should get static but somehow it is silent how

You hear the constant sound from the channel that your radio is tuned to..

In between channels is static..

since there's a constant static noise as background, how can radio transmit silence, which excludes the static background?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

25 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

All it means is there is no modulation of the signal (Audio being carried by it) so you hear nothing. When you come across a blank station it's just an indication a signal on that frequency is being picked up.
The signal itself is just that and no more, it must have modulation of some kind for it to carry audio that you'd hear, the modulation being from the audio content it's supposed to be providing.
Think of modulation as the vibrations of a guitar string and the signal itself as the means/medium of providing the vibration to your radio so in turn, it can translate it through your speakers for you to hear where you are. 

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

i think, as often, this isn't the case , if you get a station that sends you will hear something, if its just background noise (hiss) and if the same station sends music you'll hear that. Which is both different to when you listen to something that's not a station sending , you'll hear a lot of different static / dynamic and white noise, which will simply be louder than a station that just doesn't currently sends anything other than the carrier wave. i hope that helps?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity