Rumour: AMD no longer launching Zen 3+ or any refreshed Ryzen CPUs in 2021

Delicieuxz
10 hours ago, StDragon said:

Fair enough. But that begs a question for me at least; where was the name 'Warhol' originally referenced from? Did someone make it up, or was it originally referenced in some official leaked document from AMD?

Could have been made up or could have been an actual name used. I get the feeling that there is a disconnect between a company doing research and engineering investigation and actual commitment to bring that to a product in market within the community/rumor community. Product roadmaps are generally a public document and show what the company actually intends to do and as committed to, these are these ones that would fit under the description of being cancelled if they are no longer going to happen.

As much as it might seem like a waste of effort and resources any engineering development and investigation that is done feeds in to other areas and further development. So if for example AMD were looking at a Zen3 refresh that was going to utilize TSMC 7nm and during that process it was deemed not worth while to commit through to retail products those architecture improvements aren't lost and can be incorporated or further improved upon.

Basically it's generally a bad idea to assume something is actually going to be a thing unless the company has actually said it will be. We're trying to figure out if Schrodinger's cat is alive or not yet we don't even know if that cat was ever in the box in the first place 😉

14 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Could have been made up or could have been an actual name used. I get the feeling that there is a disconnect between a company doing research and engineering investigation and actual commitment to bring that to a product in market within the community/rumor community. Product roadmaps are generally a public document and show what the company actually intends to do and as committed to, these are these ones that would fit under the description of being cancelled if they are no longer going to happen.

As much as it might seem like a waste of effort and resources any engineering development and investigation that is done feeds in to other areas and further development. So if for example AMD were looking at a Zen3 refresh that was going to utilize TSMC 7nm and during that process it was deemed not worth while to commit through to retail products those architecture improvements aren't lost and can be incorporated or further improved upon.

Basically it's generally a bad idea to assume something is actually going to be a thing unless the company has actually said it will be. We're trying to figure out if Schrodinger's cat is alive or not yet we don't even know if that cat was ever in the box in the first place 😉

I remember Warhol being referenced.  I don’t have any links though.  What I find most interesting about all this is that they apparently feel that ryzen in general is not going to be enough to compete with Aldur lake so they’re breaking out some bigger guns. Sort of makes sense. Intel can’t bring out anything before aldur lake and ryzen3 beats rocket lake so they don’t actually have to do a ryzen3+. If aldur lake also doesn’t beat ryzen3 which I honestly doubt, there’s even less reason.  Might as well go on th the next system.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

Heeeyyy, not the only one saying it lol

stop it right now! Intel chill! AAAAAAAAA

AMD is going to provide longer support *sits in the corner and cries* 😥

I hope not, I'm currently planning to get a RTX 3060 and then get a Zen3+ as last hoorah of AM4 later

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"
If my comment helped you please mark it as solution. Refresh before you reply, I edit comments often.

Current PC Spec
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5
Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk
RAM: XPG D10 White 2x8GB 3200 CL16
GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC
Storages: 1x512GB Intel 760P M.2 NVME(boot drive)
1x2TB Umax M1500 Gen4 M.2 NVME(Game storage)
1x1TB Adata SU800 Ultiamte 2.5 inch Sata3 SSD(Game storage)
1x3TB Toshiba 7200RPM CMR drive
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850
Keyboard: Ducky Zero 3108 Cherry MX red
Mouse: Logitech G603 LightSpeed
Headphone: Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
Microphone: AVerMedia AM310
Flight stick: Thrustmaster T16000M FCS 3 pack

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Value: $308
  • Games owned: 229
  • Games played: 163 (71%)
  • Hours on record: 4,976.9h

For every rumour of an unannounced product being cancelled, let there be another one saying it is happening:

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-9-6900h-rembrandt-rumored-to-feature-zen3-cores-and-12-rdna2-compute-units

Maybe this could be reconciled by the Zen 3+ APU eventually existing, whereas desktop will not. OP references Warhol, whereas link above is about Rembrandt. APU is arguably a more strategic battleground than full blow desktop CPUs.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

12 hours ago, Morris_lee_9116 said:

I hope not, I'm currently planning to get a RTX 3060 and then get a Zen3+ as last hoorah of AM4 later

Zen3+ is looking like it was a rumor and hypothetical that didn’t pan out. The sort of zen2 refresh that mostly just raised prices fell pretty flat in the market after all. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.