US Tariffs vs Scalping Prices

Weirdman

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the US tariffs and how they affect prices versus the price of scalpers? For example, I have been frequently seeing the 5950x on Amazon for $999.99 by Orinokia Tech (which I am jumping to assuming is an international seller based on the name and their English responding to reviewers). I understand that the MSRP of the 5950x is $799, but a $200 price increase doesn't sound crazy if they are factoring in the cost of the tariff (which I hear is 25%) on top of a minor price increase to match demand. I've also seen similar price increases elsewhere, such as the B550 Vision D motherboard, which is being sold for about $100 above MSRP by a UK seller on Amazon (Bleepbox).

I would appreciate any insight, since I don't mind paying the difference as long as I am not supporting scalpers.

Thanks

It's pretty easy to find out the MSRP. Then just compare that to what they're asking. I wouldn't be using third party Amazon sellers as a starting point.

There's no real difference between scalping and increasing prices due to demand. It's just who you'd rather give that money to.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

To add to what dizmo said, any tariffs the manufacturer would have incurred importing product to the US, would be included in the MSRP.  

Junk Yard Dog Build

I7 -10700K
MSI Z490 MPG Gaming Plus

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32gb (4x8gb) DDR4 (3200 MHz)

Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC Pro

Corsair H115i Platinum AIO

EVGA 750 GQ

In a Cyberpower PC X-Titan case

5 hours ago, dizmo said:

It's pretty easy to find out the MSRP. Then just compare that to what they're asking. I wouldn't be using third party Amazon sellers as a starting point.

There's no real difference between scalping and increasing prices due to demand. It's just who you'd rather give that money to.

5 hours ago, bondoao1 said:

To add to what dizmo said, any tariffs the manufacturer would have incurred importing product to the US, would be included in the MSRP.  

Does that mean the current MSRP of the 5950x in the US is no longer $799 as listed in places like BestBuy and Newegg?

On 5/1/2021 at 12:53 AM, Weirdman said:

Does that mean the current MSRP of the 5950x in the US is no longer $799 as listed in places like BestBuy and Newegg?

MSRP or Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price of the 5950x is still $799. That is the price set by AMD, and it is up to the retailers to set their own prices based on the MSRP. 
MSRP is typically set by the manufacturer prior to product release based on manufacturing costs (including taxes and tariffs) and the profit they want to make from said product.
MSRP is usually adjusted by the manufacturer when manufacturing costs change.

Junk Yard Dog Build

I7 -10700K
MSI Z490 MPG Gaming Plus

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32gb (4x8gb) DDR4 (3200 MHz)

Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC Pro

Corsair H115i Platinum AIO

EVGA 750 GQ

In a Cyberpower PC X-Titan case

No MSRP of CPUs are set by manufacturers, there are only 2 of them, that's what they want the GPUs to be sold for to the consumers. $999 for 5950x is actually quite good, that's just a 20% price increase. There are AIBs that increased GPU prices for something like 3060 from $330 to $500, a 34% MSRP increase, and then there are scalpers that add insult to injury and scalp those GPUs to $900 for $330 GPU.

$799 is the normal price, where tariffs and seller margins are accounted for, $999 is the shortage price where seller has to pay more to the distributor to get an item, anything more (like vendors setting 3080 price to $1199 "MSRP") is greedy price. The shortage in the chip manufacturing industry is about 20%, not 150% like those vendors make it up.

AMD, Intel, and Nvidia have never updated their official MSRP's for any of their products that release prior to the tariffs. There is no benefit to them in doing so. They can't really control what the retailers sell them for anyway and it's better from their standpoint to let the retailers be the "bad guy." 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16