The creators of Humble Bundle are suing Valve for monopolistic behavior in a class action lawsuit

JLO64

On 4/30/2021 at 10:28 PM, poochyena said:

absolutely. I think the only people who see 30% as too much don't realize that 50% cut is actually the standard for retail. And as you explain, steam does offer a lot more than just a place to buy a game, its a social network.

eh, of course there are steam fanboys, but they are a small minority and exist in every community. I'd bet my house that there are nearly as many people who say the same about epic, that they'd only buy games on Epic store and never steam. Think of all the people whose first or main gaming experience is from fortnite.

People who see the 30% cut also don't realise that publishers often take 70% of all profits or even 100% until they recouped the money they spend initially and then still take a high % of profits. So if you can self-fund your game, publishing it to Steam yourself is actually a pretty good deal. Sure the EGS still has a better split which is good for Dev and I am all for good competition (cough no paid exclusives cough).

14 hours ago, Kisai said:

That's literately what I said, and how is this a "good" thing, it's basically a huge pain in the ass and you have to do it for every single game. Steam, just move the directory, and it's done, all 1000 games.

No, it's not literally what you said. You said you had to cancel the download, close EGS, then refresh it. Pausing it and unpausing it not the same.

Steam also requires an integrity check on those 1000 games so it takes time.

12 hours ago, NZgamer said:

Did you not read the end part that I wrote?

Here, I'll write it in a larger font so you can see.

And yet you responded. You also asked me a question, which wasn't rhetorical. So I ask you, why ask a question you don't want an answer to?

See, the funny thing is, if you read what I wrote you would know that I did read that and directly addressed it saying I have plenty of free time.

12 hours ago, NZgamer said:

I'm going to block you for bringing me into this pointless argument after I presented my opinion.

You're going to block me for replying to your reply? That's odd. It's not like I'm spamming you. If you're finished with your argument you can simply not respond. I'm not digging into back logs to specifically find you and pester you.

#Muricaparrotgang

Valve is the biggest dog on the block but I dont see how theyre monopolistic. There are a bunch of other online stores people can shop at.

Epic is monopolistic due to the entire timed exclusive + crappy store thing. Youre basically forced to use their garbage launcher to play certain games. With Steam, the only exclusives are Valve's own games (eg., CSGO).

Thats not a monopoly. Buyers have numerous options. They just prefer Valve. Deal with it Humble Bundle.

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

doesnt steam give you an actual product key (or is it a steam key that reappears) that could technically be used elsewhere?

cant remember and at work atm but couldnt this open the door to be used elsewhere though?

Whats the talk about Steam not being fast?

The issues im having with Steam are certainly mostly not of a technical nature, their features are mostly sound, its more the region locking and handling of keys etc im having issues with.

And Steam doesnt exit? 

20210506_211854.thumb.jpg.d8ec9e573af910a72d21e20381f97050.jpg

And that it doesnt exit if you simply close the window is a god sent and also not uncommon.

Its just actually making use of windows features in a sensible way (as far as thats even possible lol)

20210506_212147.thumb.jpg.4f1f69eceabcf1048779856278f4b3e6.jpg

10 hours ago, Dreckssackblase said:

People who see the 30% cut also don't realise that publishers often take 70% of all profits or even 100% until they recouped the money

Ok, how do you take 100% if you already have to give someone else 30%?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

people complaining about steams cut is industry standard(which I do think is high) but after 10m its 25% and 20% after 50m

you arent locked into steam though you can actually buy other places and activate on steam because thats where the developer decided to go

I dont understand any of this

typical lawsuit shit

5 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Does steam get a cut from steam keys?

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/04/why-valve-actually-gets-less-than-30-percent-of-steam-game-sales/

https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/keys

Such monopolistic behavior lol

Seriously how is this monopolistic behavior

Best case scenario of HB winning is that Steam starts charging a set price for Steam keys based on the price the game is sold on Steam. More likely, Steam shifts to forcing all sales to go through them.

*slow clap*
WRC9 is on EGS timed exclusive. 
image.png.a65e676786a7252f4c54f953b2299bb1.png image.png.2a0cbd379c070eded2a8a3992e257a67.png 

20 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Steam also requires an integrity check on those 1000 games so it takes time.

If you copied the files into appropriate folder including appmanifest_<numbers>.acf, you can play the game straight away, no? 🤔

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

12 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

If you copied the files into appropriate folder including appmanifest_<numbers>.acf, you can play the game straight away, no? 🤔

Every time I've done it it needed an integrity check.

#Muricaparrotgang

On 5/6/2021 at 9:24 PM, Mark Kaine said:

Because I talked about profit. If Steam takes 30% of your sale price, the profit you made obviously isn't the sale price

• 6 months later...

Why exactly aer we reviving an old thread?

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

37 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Why exactly aer we reviving an old thread?

18 hours ago, Sahl said:

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

- thread cleaned -

If you're unable or unwilling to help, then please don't reply and move on.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

From the Ars Technica article…

The suit includes a laundry list of competitors that have tried to create their own platforms to take on Steam's monopoly, including CD Projekt Red, EA, Microsoft, Amazon, and Epic (not to mention "pure distributors" with platform-free stores like GameStop, Green Man Gaming, Impulse, and Direct2Drive). But the lawsuit argues that Steam's lock-in effects mean none of these stores have been able to make much of a dent in Valve's monopoly position, despite plenty of well-funded attempts.

"Lock-in effects" my arse…those stores were/are all garbage, that is why they aren't successful. Just another company blaming their failures on the success of others but that is pretty much what everyone seems to do these days.

-kp