Trying to swap PSU in a prebuilt and verify pinout is standard.

harrisonjr98

I was able to find an HP Omen Obelisk 875-0160 prebuilt for quite cheap. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06365618 <- This is the exact model. I'm typically not a prebuilt guy but it had a competent GPU and was cheap locally. I would like to swap out for a 3070 that I also got my hands on, and thus I'm trying to upgrade the 500w bronze PSU it comes with. The thing is, I don't see any way to verify that the HP is using standard pinouts. For those out the loop, some of the larger prebuilt OEMs will use non-standard pinouts and even occasionally weird mobo form factors and whatnot. With the PSU pinouts, it's not always externally obvious what you're dealing with and can just look like a standard 24-pin/8-pin/what have you until you've fried your machine. I tried HP support but they were not at all knowledgeable enough about what I was asking (understandable honestly.) Any guidance about this specific model would be suggested, or a way to find out that doesn't involve external tools or much electrical know-how - because I have neither haha. Thanks in advance!

Bump? I'm seeing conflicting things - reviews for this unit tout easily upgradeability of everything including the PSU, but a couple of forum threads from others with the machine have had issues with different PSUs.

It looks to be a standard ATX PSU and motherboard.

Do you not own a multi-meter?

On 5/2/2021 at 7:06 PM, jonnyGURU said:

It looks to be a standard ATX PSU and motherboard.

Do you not own a multi-meter?

I do not have a multi-meter unfortunately, and even then I'd be a little uncomfortable with my own ability to "check" it beyond a shadow of a doubt. Thank you for your input, I can't believe you frequent this forum and still help out where you can, that's wicked!

Just make sure, in case any of the cables from the original power supply are modular, that you use only the cables that come with your new power supply.  Looking ar pictures here, doesn’t seem there’s any PSU length restriction either, so any good quality standard ATX PSU is fine.

https://in.pcmag.com/hp-omen-obelisk-late-2019/133390/hp-omen-obelisk-late-2019

I do see a 4-pin and standard 24-pin CPU/motherboard sockets.BBEB6029-71D7-41BF-9941-A166B7C550CE.thumb.jpeg.b2cc6fbfe7035348ccce867c7c779fbc.jpeg