NAS & CCTV hybrid

Dabaers

Hey Guys, noobie here!

For the past few months I've been toying with an idea of creating a NAS, which has developed into a solid plan until the better half said she would like a camera surveillance system for our home. So I did my research and have gotten to the point of looking a hardware acceleration. I currently plan on using Blue Iris and implementing some "AI" features. The current hardware I am looking at putting together/ waiting to come in is ... Xeon E5 2650v3, Asrock x99 Extreme 4, Node 804, 6x6tb HDD (For NAS), 2x(2 or 4tb) surveillance drives and all the other details are currently undecided. I am looking at Quadro or Tesla card for the acceleration and a maximum of 10 camera feeds. Could anyone help me pick a cost saving and appropriate choice for my needs because I feel a bit lost in the weeds over here. Additionally, the NAS will be used for long term footage storage which I may want to transcode or run in the background to compress files etc, if that impacts graphics card selection. 

Thanks in advanced for answers and resources I appreciate all the help I can get!

1 hour ago, Dabaers said:

.. Xeon E5 2650v3, Asrock x99 Extreme 4,

Do you have these already or are you getthing super cheap? Id probably go with something different here if it was me and new. Probably something like a 10th gen intel or ryzen for the lower power and newer platform.

am looking at Quadro or Tesla card for the acceleration and a maximum of 10 camera feeds.

Is there a reason why your looking at quadros or teslas? id get a geoforce card as there cheaper for almost all uses you could probably get here

What codecs are you working with?

6x6tb HDD (For NAS), 2x(2 or 4tb) surveillance drives

Id just build one big array. Nas drives work just fine for surveillance use. Also makes it much more flexible to add more surveillance time.

8 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you have these already or are you getthing super cheap? Id probably go with something different here if it was me and new. Probably something like a 10th gen intel or ryzen for the lower power and newer platform.

Is there a reason why your looking at quadros or teslas? id get a geoforce card as there cheaper for almost all uses you could probably get here

What codecs are you working with?

Id just build one big array. Nas drives work just fine for surveillance use. Also makes it much more flexible to add more surveillance time.

So I got those parts for real cheap relative to newer components. I was looking at those because they can be had for cheap relative to anything I could think of for GeForce. 

Hopefully h.265, note for surveillance it would be low resolution until critical moments where 4K would take over in recording. 

I will stick to one array!

Thank you

1 minute ago, Dabaers said:

So I got those parts for real cheap relative to newer components. I was looking at those because they can be had for cheap relative to anything I could think of for GeForce. 

Hopefully h.265, note for surveillance it would be low resolution until critical moments where 4K would take over in recording. 

I will stick to one array!

Thank you

what quadros and tesla cards are you looking at? normally the cheap ones will be old and limited with tinks like h.265

11 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what quadros and tesla cards are you looking at? normally the cheap ones will be old and limited with tinks like h.265

So I saw the m2000 or k4000 I believe it was from Tesla there was the k10 but I’ve been looking more into it and might not be the solution for me with enterprise firmware and subscription. I probably should have clarified that this project is aimed to be as cost effective as possible!

21 minutes ago, Dabaers said:

So I saw the m2000 or k4000 I believe it was from Tesla there was the k10 but I’ve been looking more into it and might not be the solution for me with enterprise firmware and subscription. I probably should have clarified that this project is aimed to be as cost effective as possible!

Yea those are some pretty old gpus now, like the k4000 is simmilar to a gtx 670, and the m2000 is simmilar to a gtx 950. Those older geoforce cards would probably be cheaper used now, and work fine in all of your use cases it seems

Also those older cards don't have h.265 encode support if you wanted to do that on the gpu here.

17 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea those are some pretty old gpus now, like the k4000 is simmilar to a gtx 670, and the m2000 is simmilar to a gtx 950. Those older geoforce cards would probably be cheaper used now, and work fine in all of your use cases it seems

Also those older cards don't have h.265 encode support if you wanted to do that on the gpu here.

Ok, would I be better off letting the cpu take on the task, getting a better gpu or lowering my standard for encoding quality?

Ok, would I be better off letting the cpu take on the task, getting a better gpu or lowering my standard for encoding quality?

For cctv, the encode quality will be basically the same, you won't notice the difference in most uses. 

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

For cctv, the encode quality will be basically the same, you won't notice the difference in most uses. 

Ok, so lowering the standard to match graphics would be the way to go. Do you think the GeForce would be better than quadro in that instance? 

Just now, Dabaers said:

Ok, so lowering the standard to match graphics would be the way to go. Do you think the GeForce would be better than quadro in that instance? 

Yea those quadros are pretty old, so id probalby stay away.

Also why not go with 10th/11th gen intel so you can use the igpu for vidoe encoding?

18 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea those quadros are pretty old, so id probalby stay away.

Also why not go with 10th/11th gen intel so you can use the igpu for vidoe encoding?

Honestly, money and availability, I would love to go with the newer cpu but I also don’t want to pour hundreds of dollars I to this project. Right now as it stands I have roughly 125 into the motherboard and processor. The storage is my main focus price wise!

On 5/1/2021 at 3:16 PM, Dabaers said:

Honestly, money and availability, I would love to go with the newer cpu but I also don’t want to pour hundreds of dollars I to this project. Right now as it stands I have roughly 125 into the motherboard and processor. The storage is my main focus price wise!

for 125 you can get basically nothing except for very very old server hardware that is only cheap because nobody wants it.

an i3 10100 costs about 90 bucks and a motherboard for it about 80 bucks and thats really the absolute minimum you should aim for if you want to have a good experience with the stated use cases.

An old quadro card alone is gonna cost you more then this CPU.