Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How can LTT staff "steal" office equipment for personal use?

In those videos of the intel extreme makeover where LTT staff each gets 5k to spend on a home makeover, linus often discovers that they use Office equipment like gaming monitors and stuff without his knowledge for personal use at home and says stuff like "did you steal it from the office? Yeah you did, the LTT logo is still on it!". Is this just staged or is it really that in Canada people use company stuff for personal use. In my country this would be illegal because you as a company don't pay VAT so everything is cheaper for you as company than your average joe. So it is not allowed to use company stuff for personal use. 

The long and short of it is that either they get permission and never return it because it’s insignificant, or it was trash on the scale of a company like LinusMediaGroup.

For a company that has dozens of extra monitors and the like for review purposes, eventually the extra’s need to get tossed out as they get newer samples in.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: EVGA 02G-P4 GeForce GT 1030 RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

sometimes it might be for a video and kept with them.

but then they steal so much, that brands don't want to send them more stuff to steal.

*looks at mr.stealer*

Also work can be a lot different, since their workspace or tools could be used both for work and personal use?

Then again depends on what they... steal, so long it's not a seal.

LTT isn't one of those company's who strip search there employs after work.

On fucked up laws: depending on a country selling old hardware to employee might count as monetary benefit and the company would need to pay taxes on it resulting in them often wasting/recycling perfectly fine but no longer needed hardware.

The employees probably can (within reason) borrow products, of course probably first asking for products that may be used in the future.

Linus' reactions reactions probably are just "Oh, I didn't know you were borrowing this" (as maybe someone else approved it) mixed with his on-camera shenanigans, making him say "Wow, did you steal this from the office?!?!"

If it truly was stealing they wouldn't show it on camera.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Like the others said it's likely borrowed stuff Linus doesn't know about and calls it "stealing" as a joke. Idk about employment law in canada but normally people who get cought stealing from their employer don't stay employed very long...

Dislaimer: If my post is older than 5 minutes, refresh the page. Most of my posts get edited straight away. 😄

PSU Tier List          AMD Motherboard Tier List          SSD Tier List

Current Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B550-E - GPU: PNY RTX 3080 XLR8 Epic-X - RAM: 4x8GB (32GB) G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz CL16 - PSU: Corsair RMx (2018) 850W - Storage: 500 GB Corsair MP600 (Boot) + 2 TB Sabrent Rocket Q (Storage) - Cooling: EK, HW Labs & Alphacool custom loop - Case: Lian-Li PC O11 Dynamic - Fans: 6x Noctua NF-A12x25 - AMP/DAC: FiiO K5 Pro - OS: Windows 10 Pro - Monitor: LG 27GN950-B - TV: LG C9 OLED 55" - Speakers: Samsung HW-Q80R + optional surround speakers - Mouse: Logitech G Pro + Powerplay - Keyboard: Logitech G915, Corsair K63 Wireless + Lapboard - Headphones: Beyerdynamic Amiron Home - Microphone: Antlion ModMic

Temperatures @steady state: Furmark + CinebenchR23 running for 1 hour. Fans @850RPM. Pump @1600RPM.

Water: 37°C

CPU: 73°C

GPU: 54°C

19 minutes ago, genisboy said:

In my country this would be illegal because you as a company don't pay VAT so everything is cheaper for you as company than your average joe. So it is not allowed to use company stuff for personal use. 

I highly doubt that. Perhaps if a company bought a load of equipment while the whole office is empty and all of it is at the employees' homes it'd be suspicious, but an employee using something every now and then for personal use isn't a problem, or at least, not something they tend to enforce.

Linus might want to look into this a bit more carefully because I don't think the CRA would be too happy discovering equipment bought as business expenses (and thus taxed differently if at all) being used for personal stuff.

Not sure how it is in Canada but in Sweden we have pretty strict laws regarding this. Even if I "borrow" something from work, it could be classified as tax fraud if that product was bought as a business expense and I use it for things not related to work. The laws are probably a bit more lenient right now as a lot of people are working from home, but I am pretty sure LMG has a long history of people taking things from work to use in their homes.

Might be a bad idea recording yourselves committing tax fraud. Hopefully they know the laws and follows them.

Worth noting that possibility a lot of those things that they "steal"(borrow), is probably not paid for my LMG, but given to them for free by the companies to check out.

Might not be true for everything tho.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

LMG, while they do have a LOT of space?  Does NOT have infinite space.

They have to get rid of stuff so they can keep getting new product.  

In older videos, employees talked about getting a multi-hundred dollar desk from the office for like 50$, because of reasons.  I imagine that happens a lot because they can't afford to store *everything* they get into the shop forever.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Linus might want to look into this a bit more carefully because I don't think the CRA would be too happy discovering equipment bought as business expenses (and thus taxed differently if at all) being used for personal stuff.

thing is LMG doesn't buy a lot of this hardware they get it sent by a brand

its mostly about LTT having so much stuff when someone asks to borrow it or it goes to be removed from inventory someone grabbed it and Linus doesn't know

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Geil EVO 2866, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 730, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Rappter(unfinished compute server) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

Spirt  (unfinished NAS) Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."  @CircleTech

Camera Gear: Canon SL2, 60D, T5, 24-105 F, 50mm F1.4, 75-300 III, rokinon 25 T1.5, Helios44-m, Sony FS700R, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 hours ago, genisboy said:

In those videos of the intel extreme makeover where LTT staff each gets 5k to spend on a home makeover, linus often discovers that they use Office equipment like gaming monitors and stuff without his knowledge for personal use at home and says stuff like "did you steal it from the office? Yeah you did, the LTT logo is still on it!". 

It's likely it's stuff they asked, and Linus just doesn't remember, or someone else was told about it and it was just never noted.

2 hours ago, genisboy said:

Is this just staged or is it really that in Canada people use company stuff for personal use. In my country this would be illegal because you as a company don't pay VAT so everything is cheaper for you as company than your average joe. So it is not allowed to use company stuff for personal use. 

The thing is, if it was staged, it would be hard to get a legitimate reaction.

In practice. A L L, companies have a problem with casual theft by employees, this can range from pens and stationary to full on dumpster-diving equipment that has been discarded. If you happen to know when stuff is going to be discarded you can usually grab stuff that the company doesn't get a credit for recycling, because the company is just junking stuff that is still good, often still under warranty, because some business reason requires that all X thing get replaced by Y thing from another manufacturer.

Likewise, I would not advocate for just casually taking things home. Even within an office, there is equipment theft (and I'm sure LTT may have run into this.) Like some staff will steal newer monitors if given the chance when someone is let go. I've encountered this several times at the office I've been doing work at, and it's one of those things where the staff member has been using 10+ year old monitor/keyboard/mouse and just never asked, and then someone nearby just yoinked someones kit and put their old stuff in that space before the administration staff removed it, and now they're just kind mad about it. 

The thing is, you can run administrative scripts on computers to log the serial numbers of everything, the MB, the GPU, the monitors, the docking stations of laptops. Pretty much everything has a serial number, and if a business was having a problem with theft, they would be checking the serial numbers once a day and investigating changes of hardware. But the other side of this is that things like monitors, keyboards and mice are often not important, businesses just buy whatever is cheap, and unless someone needed a higher end model for a business purpose, a 4 year old 24" IPS monitor from one brand is no different from another.

The majority of the "stolen" stuff is stuff LMG got for free to test.

So if they get questions, they can just say its being tested..

3 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

thing is LMG doesn't buy a lot of this hardware they get it sent by a brand

its mostly about LTT having so much stuff when someone asks to borrow it or it goes to be removed from inventory someone grabbed it and Linus doesn't know

Again, I am not sure how it is in Canada but in Sweden that would also fall under special taxation rules that do not transfer if you take it from work.

Most countries I know of do not differentiate between money and goods. If you get sent a GPU, even if it's just a loaner item, should be taxed in some way.

For example in the UK:

Products to Review.

Influencers are often given products to review or endorse on their channel in the hope it raises the profile of the product. The tax treatment of these fall into a definition of a ‘barter transaction’.

What is a ‘Barter Transaction’!?

The rules around these were developed by case law in a 1948 House of Lords decision (Gold Coast Selection Trust Ltd v Humphrey [1948] 30TC209) and were more recently made explicitly clear for trading and property income in Section 71 of the Finance Act 2016. It essentially states that the value of trading income received in non-monetary form is taxable in full as trading income.

In a nutshell, the value of a transaction is deemed to be the money’s worth of a transaction i.e. how much it could sell for. This can present two problems for influencers:

1. Not everything can be converted to money!

As per HMRC’s Business Income Manual (BIM40051) there is an example given whereby you don’t need to pay tax on the product/service if it cannot be turned into money i.e. accommodation.

So panic over.

2. What if you get gifted a valuable item and end up with a massive tax bill!?

This here is clearly an issue. Imagine being given a high-value free gift to review (AMAZING!), and then having to pay 20% or 40% tax on the product!

A great example is a YouTube Gamer that gets given a brand new, custom-built gaming PC, with a 4k monitor and all the peripherals in the world to go with it. All they ask is you make a video about it and review how great it is. Your first thought might be “I’ve hit the jackpot”! But on consideration – It’s worth £7,000 and you now need to pay £1,400-£2,800 (20%-40%) tax… 

Conversely, it might help to understand that the businesses sending these goods to be review can use the costs to reduce their taxes. So on the contrary, it’s only right the other party pays tax upon receipt of it.

It’s therefore extremely important to ensure an agreement is set out between the influencer and the business looking to promote, with the value of the item explicitly stated.

The same seems to apply in the US:

Exchanging goods and services with another business owner – bartering – is a common practice, and can make excellent sense in today's economy, but the IRS is warning that "barter dollars" are equal to "real dollars" for tax purposes.

While they can "borrow" stuff, they've also said in past videos to have the ability to straight up buy unwanted hardware from LMG at a relatively huge discount. So I assume they know full well the laws around this already.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB(upgrade pending) / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Probably because of how casual the work place culture is.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

LTT has not reached peak casual until we see Linus having a breakdown in all the various definitional uses of the world fuck as Anthony does a tire popping burnout with a Hellcat IN the workshop.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.