Apple Q2 financial report "Enthusiastic customer response to ‌M1‌ Macs"

Spindel

Summary

First the boring part: "For the quarter, Apple posted revenue of $89.6 billion and net quarterly profit of $23.6 billion"

iPhone stands for 53,5% of the revenue, services 18,9%, Mac 10,2%, iPad 8,7% and wearable/home/accesories 8,7%. 

Quotes

Mac revenue was up 70% to a new all-time record

My thoughts

Most interesting is the Mac revenue being up 70% to an all-time record. Apple has grown so much so if only looking at percentages it doesn't look as impressive as when you start to look at absolute numbers. Mac revenue is about $9 billion, compare this to HP personal systems at $10,6 billion or Dell client solutions (consumer + comercial) at $13,8 billion. 

I also read elsewhere (not in posted source) that M1 Macs already outsells all intel macs (not really surprising since the M1 lineup consisted of the best selling models) but still. 

Sources

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/04/28/apple-2q-2021-earnings/

Holy moly. When the new Pro laptops are released it will be even more, many people have been waiting for a Mac laptop with magsafe, sdcard support and a new awesome screen (if that is what we are getting), me included (and I have a 2014 Macbook Air and a 2020 Lenovo Thinkpad).

If it ain´t broke don't try to break it.

5 hours ago, Spindel said:

Summary

First the boring part: "For the quarter, Apple posted revenue of $89.6 billion and net quarterly profit of $23.6 billion"

iPhone stands for 53,5% of the revenue, services 18,9%, Mac 10,2%, iPad 8,7% and wearable/home/accesories 8,7%. 

Quotes

My thoughts

Most interesting is the Mac revenue being up 70% to an all-time record. Apple has grown so much so if only looking at percentages it doesn't look as impressive as when you start to look at absolute numbers. Mac revenue is about $9 billion, compare this to HP personal systems at $10,6 billion or Dell client solutions (consumer + comercial) at $13,8 billion. 

I also read elsewhere (not in posted source) that M1 Macs already outsells all intel macs (not really surprising since the M1 lineup consisted of the best selling models) but still. 

Sources

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/04/28/apple-2q-2021-earnings/

Mind Blown Explosion GIF - MindBlown Explosion Mind - Discover & Share GIFs

PC Manufaturers:  mindblown

Oh My Fuck Bubbles GIF - OhMyFuck Bubbles Omf - Discover & Share GIFs

Intel & AMD: Shitfuckshitfuckshitfuckshitfuckshitfuck

Golden Globes: Here are GIFs of Tom Hanks looking unamused during Ricky  Gervais' monologue.

M1 Skeptics[including me]: (Pissed)

10 Drake & josh w\ Megan ideas | drake & josh, drake and josh, drake

Apple Fans and evangelist: Interesting(Sips champagne)

5 hours ago, Spindel said:

Apple's gross margin of 42.5% was the company's highest since the third fiscal quarter of 2012. Apple's gross margin has typically hovered in the 38% range in recent years.

This is the part that I'm really surprised by, most likely due to the in house nature of M1.

Arch is better than Ubuntu. Fight me peko.

Here's some more related tidbit from Toms Hardware

Apple executives said Wednesday that roughly 50% of the Mac and iPad sales in the second quarter of 2021 were to people who'd never owned those devices before. Much of that growth has been attributed to the M1 system-on-a-chip, the release of which led the Mac to enjoy the best financial quarter in its decades-long history.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/apples-m1-chip-is-bringing-long-time-x86-pc-users-to-the-arm-powered-mac

1 hour ago, Spindel said:

Hype via actual marketing and being generally good for the first time in a while. Also, it's not like laptop sales aren't at all-time highs with some of the largest YoY increases ever.

On 4/29/2021 at 10:50 PM, Spindel said:

Well so it should, not just because they are outright better but everyone is talking about the M1 Macs so that's what people want. I'd personally find it strange if this wasn't the case, I'd also be worried that Apple's marketing isn't working and people are buying inferior products.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Well so it should, not just because they are outright better but everyone is talking about the M1 Macs so that's what people want. I'd personally find it strange if this wasn't the case, I'd also be worried that Apple's marketing isn't working and people are buying inferior products.

Well if you believe internet forums the sky is falling and no one will buy AS macs because you can't dual boot to windows on them. 

... and yeah I learned a long time ago that whatever is the trend regarding usable tech according to tech forums the reality is the opposite, here are some highlights:

-iPhone is DOA it has no physical keyboard, and Nokia N series has much better API

-Nintendo Switch is DOA it is under powered and Nintendo games are only for kids

-Next generation of macs ships without floppy drive, they are DOA everyone needs a floppy drive

-Next generation macs ships with only USB and firewire, they are DOA everyone needs serial and parallel ports

-Next generation ships without optical drive, they are DOA everyone needs a Blu-Ray in the computer

-Next generation iPhone ships without head phone jack, DOA!

-Apple introduces wireless head phones, DOA!! every one wants wired head phones

-Apple introduces Apple Watch, DOA!!!, who needs this!

-Microsoft introduces the Zune, apple is doomed iPod sales will fall of a cliff now

-Apple computers are only for image driven hipsters that only care about looks *proceeds to pay extra for ram sticks with RGB lights*

4 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Hype via actual marketing and being generally good for the first time in a while. Also, it's not like laptop sales aren't at all-time highs with some of the largest YoY increases ever.

With Intel CPU's, they were entirely depending on Intel. If Intel was lacking, so was Apple. With M1, it's all down to Apple. And they made huge leap. Question for the future is, will they be able to keep up.

It's what I was afraid about AMD's Ryzen, making huge strides every time and running out of steam. But so far that was not the case. We'll see how it'll be for the future...

This is good for Apple of course, but it is worth noting that basically everyone in the pc segment (except for Dell iirc) has been posting record shipments and similar. I believe Apple in it's report warned about future constraints starting to hit them in the following quarters.

I think the Q4 data was 20% growth across the entire market with Lenovo on the volume and Apple in the lux end showing the biggest increases.

Anyways, not trying to reign in on parades, just noting that the general market right now for computers (notably not for cellphones) is superheated. Which makes it a good time to be launching a brandnew product stream hahaha.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Not surprising in the least. With such a big push toward remote work and such along with the hype/advertising to move to M1 macs, I'd be surprised if customer response wasn't "enthusiastic". Also having actually great hardware + software for an astonishingly good price surely helps.