I'm new and need help with converting a old laptop into a gaming desktop pc

chellin420

Hi everyone, I want to game on pc I play alot of warzone, but I don't have the funds. How ever I do have a older laptop that is a hp G72-250US notebook that I want to turn into a gaming desktop pc. I don't play on moving it around much and will be hooked up to external monitor, mouse, and keyboard. I'm very new to this like I've never took a pc apart so any input would b nice and appreciated. And also I'm on a low budget or second hand parts. Thanks chellin420!!!!

16196911444536464303949170399613.jpg

16196911739083011709149932325837.jpg

1619691195472525673471721199075.jpg

I don’t think you will be able to do any modern gaming other than possibly esports like valorant or rocket league on a laptop with a 1st gen i3 and intel hd graphics from 10 years ago

You could play retro or indie titles on it. Not all games are graphically demanding.

I'm pretty sure this is a gag post, but I'll help you incase it's not. Assuming this is a legitimate post, I'm telling you right now that there is no way that this laptop is going to run Warzone with any sort of playability period. The best thing to try if you are truly desperate to game on this laptop, is to try a cloud gaming service and hope that your laptop can actually use the service without issues. That, or play on whatever you already play Warzone on, given that apparently you already play Warzone.

Ok so I'm going to be the first to say it... You cannot simply "turn" a laptop into a desktop as they use very different part form factors and components. Your best bet here would be to see if you can find a desktop in your local market that someone is perhaps willing to give away, and then you upgrade it from there. 

Otherwise, you are stuck to current laptop specs which won't run much at all. 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

1 hour ago, chellin420 said:

Hi everyone, I want to game on pc I play alot of warzone, but I don't have the funds. How ever I do have a older laptop that is a hp G72-250US notebook that I want to turn into a gaming desktop pc.

That laptop is far too old to be a "gaming laptop" (it's 11 years old) and even if you did, you would be stuck with stuff made in 2010. That's a first-generation Core cpu, using an integrated graphics. This is stuff that was thrown away when the skylake cpu's came out and every laptop came with SSD's in 2016.

Like you may be able to pick up a 6th or 7th generation intel i7-6xxx or i7-7xxx laptop for cheap and you'd be significantly ahead of this one.

As for "making it a gaming desktop", no, that's not happening. The GPU power in this machine is extremely weak. Here's a comparison:

image.thumb.png.cfef692566c8bf4e336d359bba9953eb.png

That laptop, is the first column. The two in the middle are the most commonly seen iGPU parts in 6th-10th gen Intel CPU's, and the one on the right is the most common dedicated GPU seen in low-end/mid-tier "gaming" laptops of the same vintage

Like the 1050Ti is barely a 1080p60 GPU. The Intel 620 is a 720p60 at most, and the 520 is 720p30. By comparison the GMA is not even capable of 480p30.

Like it can't be understated enough that gaming laptops are a misnomer. True "Gaming" laptops are in effect desktop replacements, and they demand a price (typically $4000) often twice that of a desktop with better hardware. What is often marketed as a "gaming" laptop by OEM's is really only suitable for web-browser games and the occasional base-line game like minecraft or mobile-game ports. No new or recent game, ever works well on a gaming laptop without a high end GPU, and the price is never worth it, since the laptop will last half as long.

In retrospect, laptops are more suited for running games that are 5 years older than the laptop itself. With the current electronics shortage, game devs are in a pinch where they are going to have to lower the quality of the game so previous generations of GPU's and game consoles can run it as few people have been able to buy any new parts since 2019.

So my suggestion here is that if you want a gaming machine, pick up a game console, maybe a pre-owned PS4 or Xbox one. You'll be farther ahead than this laptop.

As mentioned by @Kisai, that laptop is no gaming laptop, you won't be able to do much with it.

But, you could always look at the following videos for inspiration, while it may not be exactly what you need, it's a start ;

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !