My headphones died and gave me an electric shock during a work video call, so now I need new ones

scruffy238

My HyperX Cloud Alpha headphones have finally died, in a painful and funny way, and I'm looking for a replacement set of over-ear headphones, ideally for under £200 but I'll consider anything up to £300.

And yes, I did swear profusely in front of my colleagues when they shocked me right on the ears, but I was fine a few minutes later, just a bad headache. I think I damaged them when moving house so it was only a matter of time until they died. 

Here's some more detail on what I'm looking for in my next set of headphones. 

• I don't need a microphone as I use a Shure SM7B plugged into a GoXLR Mini (I use this setup for work as well as for gaming, streaming and talking to friends, so I actually get full use out of this rather than having just copied all the streamers) but as long as it can be removed it's fine to have headphones that come with one. 
  • I need to be able to connect the headphones via aux to the GoXLR Mini. I'm aware that some wireless headphones have a base station with aux input, so these would work, but otherwise I'll be limited to wired headphones. 
  • For wired headphones, I need to have inline volume control either on the headphone cable or the headphones themselves. I swap between machines (USB-C hub with the GoXLR attached) frequently and their master volume level can vary so this is a must for on the fly adjustments without affecting my other audio levels and balance. 
  • For wired headphones I'd want the aux cable to be detachable in case I break it (which has happened before due to my electric sit-stand desk getting it trapped thanks to my idiocy). 
  • Ideally I'd like the headphones to be lighter than my old ones, which were about 300g with the microphone removed. I'd also like them to be comfortable to wear for long periods of time. 
  • I'll be using these for work as well as for gaming, so I'd like to avoid the 'gamer aesthetic' as much as possible. 
  • I play mostly FPS games and Rocket League so the sound stage is really important. 
  • For work, I listen to a lot of audio, especially voices against music, so having decent sound quality is a must. It doesn't have to be crazy sound quality, just decent. 

I'm not looking to get rid of the GoXLR Mini as it serves me really well for my use case and given I managed to buy it for less than a cloudlifter I've been delighted with its value for money, but I'm aware this restricts me to use only headphones with aux connectivity (no wireless dongles over USB) and presumably no amp/dacs for headphones either, although I don't really know much about these. 

Any recommendations you lovely people can make would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to you folks I have a home server that I'm incredibly happy with and I'm hoping you can help me again with this. 

AKG K712's maybe? But they don't have a inline volume controller.
They've got a detachable cable.
They're lighter at 235g.
They've got a really good soundstage which is great for gaming. 
I dont personally think they have a "gaming aesthetic."

Akg k712 and  tygr 300r are both headphones I would look Into

22 hours ago, scruffy238 said:

when they shocked me right on the ears,

No voltage applied to a set of headphones would ever be high enough for that.