Jagged edges in video games.

GabinusWielki

So I had this problem since I got this pc but I chose to ignore it but it's really starting to annoy me. The problem is I have jagged edges in video games, at first I thought it's just an antyaliasing problem but no matter if I have it turned on or off it still is like that. Here's an example from Devil May Cry 5, I even put it in ultra settings to see if it fixes anything but it dooesn't. It might not be that apparent on this image since I can't upload higher res images here but you can still see this on Nero's arm, (the guy in the front) turning up resolution scaling reduced the problem but my pc is just not good enough to run at 200% res scailng. Is there anything I can do?1995808309_DevilMayCry5_2021_04.29-11.24_1.thumb.png.dcff7d1c1f4ea1def822f238c88d0188.png657740932_DevilMayCry5_2021_04.29-11_24.thumb.png.62b3e08a2f308d8120ddf35c271bca8c.png

I don't see any issues in your screenshots. Are you sure your 1080p resolution is not just too low for what you want? You could try to set the resolution scaling to >100% and see if it helps.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I can't post images of higher resolution so you can't see it that well but you can still see it on the right arm of the guy in front

3 hours ago, GabinusWielki said:

I can't post images of higher resolution so you can't see it that well but you can still see it on the right arm of the guy in front

Upload to imgur.com instead.

From your 2nd screenshot i can see the staircase effect on the sword. Probably look much worse in motion. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

11 hours ago, GabinusWielki said:

you can still see it on the right arm of the guy in front

that looks normal, just how video games work, they arent "photo realistic".  Thats also why besides anti aliasing motion blur exists.

8 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

From your 2nd screenshot i can see the staircase effect on the sword.

that's how games look at 1080p , especially without motion blur . (im not suggesting to turn on motion blur btw, just saying its exactly an issue that often gets camouflaged by excessive motion blur)

8 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Upload to imgur.com instead.

imgur has hardcore compression, they should either use abload or indeed LTT , but that won't change how computer graphics look of course.

1968189445_Screenshot_20210429-234046_SamsungInternetBeta.thumb.jpg.18ae9708b43d7dd68e43d0f7b08f3b45.jpg

pixel galore lol…

ps:  also pro tip(s): especially in capcom games TAA+FXAA  looks worse than TAA. (usually)

Also you can try setting image quality (texture filtering) to high/max and also anisotropic filtering / anti aliasing options in Nvidia  settings (if you have a Nvidia GPU)

like so:

20210429_235826.thumb.jpg.8396fe43b3d79890ca78aba8e1b8330d.jpg

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

that's how games look at 1080p , especially without motion blur . (im not suggesting to turn on motion blur btw, just saying its exactly an issue that often gets camouflaged by excessive motion blur)

Not all games looks like that. Some game engine have really bad stair case/pixel crawling effects and some doesn't. 

6 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

imgur has hardcore compression, they should either use abload or indeed LTT , but that won't change how computer graphics look of course.

Indeed, but it doesn't ruin/degrade the image quality that bad. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Could it be that these games just aren't at their best in 1080p, and end up blurry and grainy because of it?

Could the more detailed textures and effects lose some clarity, or shouldn't it matter?

I see you are restricted to 75hz, so your frame rate shouldn't be causing any performance issues, should it - especially at 1080p?

If your pc can't cope with upping the resolution scaling at 1080, even when you are limited to 75hz, could it simply be you don't have the hardware to run it full stop?

At least not at the resolution and setting you want.

Have you ever gone into your control panel to make sure film grain and sharpness aren't turned up too high?

That can really affect the image quality if it isn't tailored to your personal situation.