What do the last 2 digits of my public ip address mean?

jakeslayer9091

Hello, I've recently moved into an apartment complex, and the internet sucks, under 25mb/s download when they advertised "High speed internet", Now I don't know anything about networks but I wanted to investigate and check if they are using the same internet package for all the apartments. (Each apartment has its own router). and after connecting to two in different areas, I got the same IP on both of them except that the last 2 digits were different. (Check examples), What does this mean? Are all apartments on the same IP meaning if someone is dumb enough to get DDoSed, everyone else will be affected?

Router 1: 10.255.255.6

Router 2: 10.255.255.87

These are just examples and not my real IP. (the last 2 bolded digits are though)

Once again, I know nothing about networks.

My custom loop 5000$ PC:

CPU: Intel i7 9900k Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A RAM: 32GB (x4 8GB Modules) Corsair Dominator VideoCard: Asus Nvidia 2080ti HDD/SSD: 1TB M2 Samsung EVO 970 Case: LianLi O11 Dynamic (White) Radiator: x1 Corsair Hydro X Series XR5 360 Fans: x6 Corsair LL120 RGB Tubing: Thermaltake PETG ID: 13mm OD: 16mm Fittings: Bitspower Throughout Waterblocks: CPU: EK-Velocity RGB (Nickel+Plexi) VideoCard: EK-Vector RTX 2080ti w/ Nickel Backplate (Nickel+Plexi) Reservoir: Bitspower Touchaqua Sedna Front Plate Options: Corsair Commander Pro, Corsair RGB Controller, Custom Sleeved Cables for CPU, ATX and PCI-E

It's literally just an address.

Like it doesn't make a difference if your house number is 2567 or 2569 or 2678, it's just a number.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

47 minutes ago, jakeslayer9091 said:

Hello, I've recently moved into an apartment complex, and the internet sucks, under 25mb/s download when they advertised "High speed internet", Now I don't know anything about networks but I wanted to investigate and check if they are using the same internet package for all the apartments. (Each apartment has its own router). and after connecting to two in different areas, I got the same IP on both of them except that the last 2 digits were different. (Check examples), What does this mean? Are all apartments on the same IP meaning if someone is dumb enough to get DDoSed, everyone else will be affected?

Router 1: 10.255.255.6

Router 2: 10.255.255.87

These are just examples and not my real IP. (the last 2 bolded digits are though)

Once again, I know nothing about networks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv4

If you want to actually understand, read up on it on wikipedia, and then possibly continue googling things to help explain it. Its not difficult, but your not really going to understand it unless you go and learn it.

Short answer, your ISP has ISP blocks to assign out to modems, your apt complex is going to be using a single ISP so all of them are going to likely have the same first 1 or 2 octets. But every address is a different address, so no, if someone in the complex is getting DDOSed, your not ALSO getting DDOSed. That said..... if someone is actually get DDOSed, if your ISP is garbage and can't protect against the/load balance, it is possible the lines coming into the complex are getting hammered, and effectively, you would also be getting DDOSed.... unlikely tho.

Again, best bet is to read up on it, itll make a lot more sense and help you ask better questions as well 🙂

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 hour ago, jakeslayer9091 said:

Are all apartments on the same IP meaning if someone is dumb enough to get DDoSed, everyone else will be affected?

You may or may not have “every apartment on the same IP” as it varies by provider. There are many small providers that service only the MDU market and don’t operate like the big traditional ISPs, most importantly they probably don’t have enough public IPs for every apartment. If you’re getting a private IP (10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x - 172.24.x.x, 192.168.x.x) or CGNAT IP (100.64.x.x - 100.127.x.x) then your ISP is sharing public IPs between multiple users. If you aren’t sure, you can share the first half of the IP you are actually getting.

What may be more important in a DOS/DDOS attack is that the whole apartment complex is unlikely to have more than 1Gb/s for everyone to share - might even be lower like 250Mb/s. This would mean that even if you have your own public IP, the total connection coming in to the complex may be saturated by a relatively small attack.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: