Netflix joins Japan’s VTuber trend

Jet_ski

Summary

Netflix has launched their own weekly VTuber show. VTuber is short for Virtual YouTuber and it's a growing type of content in Japan. It's essentially an interactive live stream where characters are animated by motion capture. They sing, dance, and interact with the audience.

For their first show, an employee will perform as N-ko and they will introduce anime shows available on the streaming service. Netflix calls N-ko Mei Kurono their "first-ever anime ambassador."

Quotes

"Living on Netflix Anime YouTube, N-ko is our official Netflix Anime Ambassador. N-ko will connect with fans around the world by hosting her very own weekly show, The N-ko Show. Stay tuned for its first episode launching globally on April 30, 10AM (Japan time) on our Netflix Anime YouTube channel."

My thoughts

I want N-ko to host the next TechLinked episode. Sorry Riley.

Sources

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-netflix-vtuber-idUSKBN2CE14F

https://about.netflix.com/en/news/n-ko-mei-kurono

The model looks good and the movements are smooth (though these are clearly pre-animated movements, not live), i don't quite understand the connection between Netflix and a ram.

Also the voice is a bit disjointed from the design of the character. should have gone with an older looking character or a younger sounding voice

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

Also the voice is a bit disjointed from the design of the character. should have gone with an older looking character or a younger sounding voice

Its pretty common for a young looking vtuber character to be voiced by older voice. You can have a look at Inuyama Tamaki as one of the more (in)famous example.

15 minutes ago, Jet_ski said:

I want N-ko to host the next TechLinked episode.

I want Shishiro Botan to do a TechLinked video. Just translate it to japan for her and put in english sub. Hololive x LTT. Make it happen plox

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

3 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

I want Shishiro Botan to do a TechLinked video. Just translate it to japan for her and put in english sub. Hololive x LTT. Make it happen plox

I like this idea. 

Main PC: the literature club machine

Intel I5 9600k @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI z390-a pro | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB 3000Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB | Seagate barracuda 3.5" 2.5tb  | Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 | Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB DUAL OC | Thermaltake Core P3 TG Snow Edition

Daily drivers

OPPO A52 | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Razer Deathadder V2 Pro | Beryodynamic DT 990 PRO | Focusrite Scarlett solo gen 2

I've never seen even a passing mention of a male vtuber - character, they're seemingly practically all pretty, young girls.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

10 minutes ago, Arika S said:

The voice dosent fit IMO. 100% agree. But this is a test episode so chances are it isn't final. 

Intel I5 9600k @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI z390-a pro | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB 3000Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB | Seagate barracuda 3.5" 2.5tb  | Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 | Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB DUAL OC | Thermaltake Core P3 TG Snow Edition

Daily drivers

OPPO A52 | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Razer Deathadder V2 Pro | Beryodynamic DT 990 PRO | Focusrite Scarlett solo gen 2

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I've never seen even a passing mention of a male vtuber - character, they're seemingly practically all pretty, young girls.

Welcome the world of appealing to weebs. 

Daily drivers

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Meet Holostars. And there's a lot of male vtuber talents out there beyond the cover's confine, like Kentama (voiced by Austin Evans Camera Guy), Taka Radjiman from Nijisanji ID, etc.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

so that voice doesn't fit imo

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

2 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Meet Holostars. And there's a lot of male vtuber talents out there beyond the cover's confine, like Kentama (voiced by Austin Evans Camera Guy), Taka Radjiman from Nijisanji ID, etc.

TIL Austin evens camera man is a vtuber. That's pretty cool if I'm honest 

Daily drivers

5 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Maybe they made the model before deciding to have a employee do the voice? Possibly the initial idea was to just get a (semi-)professional VA to do it, but they ended up changing the plans.

3 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Its pretty common for a young looking vtuber character to be voiced by older voice. You can have a look at Inuyama Tamaki as one of the more (in)famous example.

There is a difference between intentional and unintentional disconnection between appearance and voice, I don't think this here was intentional. And I personally think Tamaki voices fits pretty well when considering the character settings.

3 minutes ago, mon1ka said:

Austin evens camera man is a vtuber. That's pretty cool if I'm honest 

evens, but his camera man who is a VTuber is called Ken

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

3 minutes ago, mon1ka said:

TIL Austin evens camera man is a vtuber

He has been a fan of Himemori Luna for a long time, and Akai Haato for even longer. Iirc he snooped in watching Luna's stream in one of Austin's PC building video.

1 minute ago, Kanna said:

evens, but his camera man who is a VTuber is called Ken

Damn autocorrect. 

Daily drivers

1 minute ago, SorryClaire said:

He has been a fan of Himemori Luna for a long time, and Akai Haato for even longer. Iirc he snooped in watching Luna's stream in one of Austin's PC building video.

That's really cool. Didn't know that

Daily drivers

12 minutes ago, Kanna said:

so that voice doesn't fit imo

the voice doesn't fit and netflix anime is kinda bad for dubs so yeah.

subs are great tho.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

15 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

If you check Nijisanji you can find a lot of male Vtubers. Females are still majority though.

50 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Well, yeah, i dont think anyone is under the assumption that most Vtubers are actually all 18 year old girls (or 17 in Grandma Marine's case). But the actual voice here doesn't fit the face. The Vtubers i watch all either change their voice or have a natural voice that matches their avatar. Which is not the case here.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

35 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

They exist.  It doesn't help that some of the earlier attempts of male vtubers, were misguided. Girl vtubers just do what they want, and play what they want (even if they are bad at it,) or chat, or chill, or whatever. However Guy vtubers seems to just avoid/ignore interacting with their viewers so they can concentrate on their gitgud game, and that's just not interesting to watch in an interactive medium. 

Most vtubers don't seem to know they need to be on Twitter to let their followers/subs know when they are streaming.

The Japanese vtuber space is almost entirely on Youtube. The Western vtuber space is almost entirely on Twitch. Discovery on Twitch however is abysmal, and the only way you will be noticed on Twitch is by being followed/raided by someone 10 times more popular than you, so twitch's algorithm starts recommending you due to being followed by other vtubers. Youtube on the other hand will readily send you down the vtuber rabbit hole, but mostly just the Japanese vtuber's where english channels have translated or made edits to the Japanese footage. If you're a western vtuber on Youtube, you're swimming in a sea of recommendations that will mostly be Hololive. Since Youtube lacks several mechanisms for growing your audience through peer recommendations you are basically beholden to following vtubers on Twitter to know when they are streaming.

If you want to be successful at being an entertainer (which is what vtubers are) you have to have something unique to your character. Simply being "sexy man" or "cute girl" is not enough. Sure you can stream with a model, or even a still drawing of one, but unless you are being entertaining, that model is no better than a logo.

Takahata101, anime man, bartender, twitch ambassador, apparently lives in Linus's neck of woods.

Merry, from Denmark, anime doge,  also draws webcomics

Like you need at least a starting point from which to find more vtubers that are to your interests.

The fact that we're seeing even Netflix jump onto the vtuber bandwagon does make me think that the space is starting to get a bit crowded and that this might become a trend that will fizzle out. The sheer amount of vtubers out there is just staggering and whenever I see ads for new talents I can't help but wonder if they're going to make it in the long run. That being said, they're all literally just streamers with a gimmick so as long as streaming is a thing there will (probably) be a decently sized vtuber community even if there's a dip in popularity similar to what happened in 2018.

Arch is better than Ubuntu. Fight me peko.

9 hours ago, WereCatf said:

i know some male vtubers on twitch. in fact i think i follow more male vtubers than female

1 minute ago, RILEYISMYNAME said:

get me off this planet

I hear Luxendarc is beautiful this time of year.

Though the ferry doesn't come until 2176.

elephants

I want to make it more mainstream so I can watch without people thinking I'm weird. It's like anime all over again.

Level 2 Tech Support for a Corporation servicing over 12,000 users and devices, AMA

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 5800x3D | GPU: Sapphire 6900 XT Nitro+ SE | Mobo: Asus x570 TUF | RAM: 32GB CL15 3600 | PSU: EVGA 850 GA | Case: Corsair 450D | Storage: Several | Cooling: Brown | Thermal Paste: Yes

Laptop - Dell G15 | i7-11800H | RTX 3060 | 16GB CL22 3200

Plex - Lenovo M93p Tiny | Ubuntu | Intel 4570T | 8GB RAM | 2x 8TB WD RED Plus 

Another VTuber? Good luck to them. I know Netflix is popular but it is still only limited in accessibility. I only distantly follow some of the Hololive ones currently but more often than not, it is to have something on in the background than active watching.

On first look the model seems well done. Since I got mine made I've become really critical on problems with the models, and I see similar problems on some of the older Hololive ones for example. Creating a VTuber isn't difficult. When I was looking to start Twitch streaming I got a Live2D model made of one of my MMO characters and I use that. I don't consider myself a VTuber though. It's just me with my game avatar, and the majority of my followers are people I knew already. On voice-avatar disconnects, I definitely have one. To get around that, make it lore. I blame mine on excessive consumption of Dwarven grog.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible