BOINC Pentathlon 2021

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yea, I'm still sure it's slower than baremetal as I don't really know all the secrets to get the maximum performance for this situation, but it's this or not being able to use the hardware at all and something is better than nothing lol

We can't complain about how you setup the servers when you have almost (if not more than) 500 physical cores to offer. That's probably more than what the rest of the team has combined. 500 extra cores period will make a significant point difference.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

We can't complain about how you setup the servers when you have almost (if not more than) 500 physical cores to offer. That's probably more than what the rest of the team has combined. 500 extra cores period will make a significant point difference.

Right now I have 4.7% of the running tasks in SiDock@Home, I'll set myself an overly ambitious goal of hitting 10%, but only before the event it'll drop heaps during.

10 hours ago, leadeater said:

Nice, very nice. All worth using if you can, up to you how much you want to contribute.

Rather inefficient, but I'm happy to use it all for the event. My 3700x and e5-2680v2 will be dedicated to running boinc, but some of the others will have to perform other tasks from time to time.

To what extent does boinc perform better on higher thread count cpu's over faster single core performance cpu's with fewer threads? 

I have seen similar multicore performance between my 1600af and e5 2680v2 in many applications, will this translate to boinc or will the e5 pull away with its 8 extra threads?

19 minutes ago, Shlouski said:

To what extent does boinc perform better on higher thread count cpu's over faster single core performance cpu's with fewer threads? 

More threads/cores tend to be better as you can run more tasks, higher clocked cores will finish the tasks sooner but not so much sooner as it generally makes up for by having fewer cores. Where the real difference comes in is if one archecture/generation is actually 40%+ IPC higher performance then fewer of these faster cores will do better.

19 minutes ago, Shlouski said:

I have seen similar multicore performance between my 1600af and e5 2680v2 in many applications, will this translate to boinc or will the e5 pull away with its 8 extra threads?

Not sure to be honest, the E5v2 stuff is rather slow compared to more modern stuff so it'll likely be a rather fair fight between them actually. A lot of what I'm running is also E5v1/v2 and even some older 5600 series too. I have newer E5v3 and E7v4 systems but less of those.

39 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Right now I have 4.7% of the running tasks in SiDock@Home, I'll set myself an overly ambitious goal of hitting 10%, but only before the event it'll drop heaps during.

You reminded me that I still needed to register. :old-tongue:

This year I'm working with 110 cores, 220 threads I don't know what percentage of the overall tasks I'll have but I hope I put them to good use.

9 minutes ago, leadeater said:

More threads/cores tend to be better as you can run more tasks, higher clocked cores will finish the tasks sooner but not so much sooner as it generally makes up for by having fewer cores. Where the real difference comes in is if one archecture/generation is actually 40%+ IPC higher performance then fewer of these faster cores will do better.

Great info thanks.

I have a new 360 rad on my 3700x, so I will get to overclocking it 🙂.

I remember boinc being quite the memory hog, how much ram per thread do you recommend?

Presumably you lose performance if the cpu is doing a lot of read/writing to the paging file? 

6 minutes ago, Shlouski said:

I remember boinc being quite the memory hog, how much ram per thread do you recommend?

It actually depends on the project, SiDock uses hardly any so I doubt you'll have any problems. 4.6GB on 12c/24t system and 17GB on 96c/96t system.

As we find out what the other 4 events/projects are how much ram you'll need will change, but you can run low memory tasks with high memory tasks at the same time to fill out the threads if you have to.

12 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

This year I'm working with 110 cores, 220 threads I don't know what percentage of the overall tasks I'll have but I hope I put them to good use.

That's still a lot and here's to hoping that those 220 threads running on the real thing will get you pretty damn close to what I have running.

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

That's still a lot and here's to hoping that those 220 threads running on the real thing will get you pretty damn close to what I have running.

I don't think hypervisor overhead is going to cut you down to 20% the output. I'm working with mostly Xeons & an EPYC so I won't be anywhere near your output.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

I don't think hypervisor overhead is going to cut you down to 20% the output. I'm working with mostly Xeons & an EPYC so I won't be anywhere near your output.

I don't know, I think you'll be surprised how good the EPYC will be.

24 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I don't know, I think you'll be surprised how good the EPYC will be.

With WCG/OPN it's about the same as my dual Xeon E5-2698v3 rig. Plus or minus a few. We will see if a particular workload takes advantage of anything special in the CPU I'm not aware of. 😉

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

Oh almost forgot, SiDock@Home does not have checking pointing so DO NOT pause running tasks as you'll lose any current processing done.

You should probably put that on the first post itself, 'cause many people are unlikely to read through the entire thread and this would be useful for newbies.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

I think I'm pushing this 65w chip just a little... 

image.png.134ab03298316c61f54726d34384a508.png

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

27 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I think I'm pushing this 65w chip just a little... 

image.png.134ab03298316c61f54726d34384a508.png

Nah, just put a little ice on her she'll be right.

12 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Pump those numbers, I want to see 200W!

Shes not stable at anything over 4Ghz, I think for a Ryzen 1700 that's pretty good going myself

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I think the old 3930K needs a little TLC:

245139000_Screenshotfrom2021-04-2917-04-37.png.9accc8cf101fb32065879ba18390dac1.png

It's only running a 4.1GHz O.C. but she's air cooled and I haven't touch the server since...uh...

boinc@boinc-node-7:~$ uptime
21:07:27 up 103 days,  3:05,  1 user,  load average: 10.00, 10.00, 10.00

That would have been the last time the power went out so more than 3 months without any PR. :3

Testing the 5960x at 4.7Ghz, will see how it goes, hopefully it's stable 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Testing the 5960x at 4.7Ghz, will see how it goes, hopefully it's stable 

Do you have one of those golden chips? I can't get mine over 4.4GHz 24/7 stable. I've hit the heat limit. 😕

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Do you have one of those golden chips? I can't get mine over 4.4GHz 24/7 stable. I've hit the heat limit. 😕

Usually runs at 4.5, 4.6 was stable for the last couple days, now testing 4.7. It used to do 4.9 at a hot push but running it hard has degraded the chip by a fair margin over the years. Think if I had better cooling for it it maybe could do 4.8, possibly 4.9 again. If this is stable going to try having 50% of the cores at 4.8. Every clock cycle counts for the pent!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

9 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Usually runs at 4.5, 4.6 was stable for the last couple days, now testing 4.7. It used to do 4.9 at a hot push but running it hard has degraded the chip by a fair margin over the years. Think if I had better cooling for it it maybe could do 4.8, possibly 4.9 again. If this is stable going to try having 50% of the cores at 4.8. Every clock cycle counts for the pent!

What are you using for cooling? I've got a Corsair H100i w/ NF-F12 fans on full brrr.

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

What are you using for cooling? I've got a Corsair H100i w/ NF-F12 fans on full brrr.

Right now I'm using some kind AIO with the same fans on full blast. 

It used to be on a custom look with two thicc rads

4.7 failed unfortunately, testing 4.7 on cores 0-3 now

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Right now I'm using some kind AIO with the same fans on full blast. 

It used to be on a custom look with two thicc rads

4.7 failed unfortunately, testing 4.7 on cores 0-3 now

It's times like this I wish the Xeon/Server market as a whole supported overclocking. I'd love to push my 16 cores & 32 core processor farther for the Pent but it is what it is.

I can look into OCing the 1950X. It's basically a cut down 7001 EPYC CPU.

Question is can I keep the heat in check? 👀