bandwith medium to big buisness help

hye,

i need to se for a school  project what bandwidht i need for a businesses of 600 people and 1000.
they will do medium work such as: voip mail basic web browsing.

my question how do you calculate this accurately , i found 2 main way of calculating. but they are that far apart that i don know what.

Low – 100 Kbps (kilobits per second) or less: E-fax machines, VoIP phones, laptops and computers for emailing and simple web surfing

Medium – 100-500 Kbps: More intensive web browsing, streaming, emailing, and downloading

High – 500Kbps – 2.0Mbps (megabits per second): Devices that use cloud-based platforms and software programs such as Customer Resource Management, Point of Sale, and Enterprise Resource Planning

Intensive – 2.0Mbps and higher: HD video conference devices and platforms

and

Internet speed (download)
Number of connected users/devices
What you can do

5 Mbps

1 or 2

Online browsing, research, email

25 Mbps

3 to 5

Large-file downloading, basic Wi-Fi, business communication

75 Mbps

5 to 10

Video streaming, frequent file sharing, numerous POS transactions

150 Mbps

10 to 15

Frequent cloud computing, video conferencing, data backups

250 Mbps

15 to 20

Server hosting, seamless streaming and conferencing

500 Mbps

20 to 30

Multiple-server hosting, constant cloud-based computing, heavy online backups

1 Gbps (1,000 Mbps)

30+

Extreme-speed operating for enterprise-ready offices with near-zero interruptions

so i am confused of what i need 😞

4 minutes ago, Yankee delta said:

Low – 100 Kbps (kilobits per second) or less: E-fax machines, VoIP phones, laptops and computers for emailing and simple web surfing

Medium – 100-500 Kbps: More intensive web browsing, streaming, emailing, and downloading

High – 500Kbps – 2.0Mbps (megabits per second): Devices that use cloud-based platforms and software programs such as Customer Resource Management, Point of Sale, and Enterprise Resource Planning

Intensive – 2.0Mbps and higher: HD video conference devices and platforms

This is incorrect. Web surfing is painful on ~1 Mbps.

This looks like a table from when dial-up was common.

I'm not sure it's possible to get 100 Kbps Internet anymore.

elephants

so the second one is acurate? this was the other one that i found for calculating it.

Activity / Task Mbps per User  
Voice or Fax over Internet Protocol (VoIP or FoIP) .10
Email and Instant Messaging .08
Web Browsing 2.00
Data Sharing 4.00
Video Conferencing .50
Large File Transfer 50.00
Web Hosting  and eCommerce 500.00
Streaming Audio and Video 5.00
Cloud Computing .13

I would say you're looking at gigabit (Gb) speeds. For modern uses, I think each user should have about 10 Mb/s, which would make it 6 Gb and 10 Gb for 600 and 1000 people respectively. If you're project asks for it, you also have to consider overhead, if all users are connected at the same time, higher bandwidth use cases. 

Read before asking for help  |  How to respond to a no POST or no power up situation  |  Don't ask to ask, just ask  |  The XY Problem  | Don't just say "Hello" in chat  |  How do I ask a good question?

If my post helped, please give a 'reaction' using the heart 🤍 in the bottom right. 

Make sure to quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

F@H Contribution

BOINC Contribution

HeatWare

"The only difference between a problem and a solution is that people understand the solution."

"Give people permission to make mistakes and the obligation to learn from them."

“The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice.” - Brian Herbert

"People will never truly understand something until it happens to them."

"I usually give people more chances than they deserve but once I'm done, I'm done."

CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X  |  Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Gaming X  |  RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3600MHz  |  GPU ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Trinity OC |  Case BitFenix Ghost  |  Storage HP EX920 1TB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, WD Black 8TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB  |  PSU Seasonic Prime GX-750  |  Displays Lenovo ThinkVision P27q-20, Dell UP2716D  |  Cooling Noctua NH-D15  |  Operating System Windows 10 Home

It's probably doable with a 100 mbps connection to the outside world, but really painful.  Would make more sense to have something in the 500 / 250 mbps or 1 gbps / 500mbps to 1 gbps upload.

In such a big organization you can set up transparent proxies /  caching proxies, to cache a lot of stuff that people access often, so you can reduce the traffic used by most employees by browsing the internets. 

You could have traffic shaping, ex download speed of 10-25 mbps for the first 10-20 seconds, then down to 2-3 mbps until download is done. Whoever needs small documents or whatever gets them fast, big downloads can be requested from the IT team which can get them over night or whatever. 

Local Windows Update servers to reduce the amount of windows update downloads which could choke a 100 mbps connection during the updates period.

You could set up some policies to block Spotify or other streaming services which would otherwise consume around 64-192 kbps of your connection for each listener. If people need music, they can use their mobile phones.... though would just make more sense to pay a few dollars more to keep people happy and more productive (may cost you a few hundred a month more for better connection but divided by 1000 people it's probably less than a dollar or so per user)

For zoom and such (live video calls, each person would need at least 2 mbps .. ideally somewhere around 5-10 mbps ... the actual transfer is probably in the 3-5 mbps for 720p webcams)

voip ... depends on the codec used, but I think 24-32 kbps for mono 22.5 kHz is more or less hi-fi voip these days, with opus and other modern codecs. 64 kbps per user is probably overkill... they stream online radios with 64 kbps.

ps. The problem with e-fax and email is that it's kinda silly to give them a continuous bandwidth ..  with email the mail server can push email to your client when it comes or your email client can request new mail from the mail server once every n seconds .. so could be it's only 100 bytes or so exchanged every 30s...1m between the email client on the users' computer and the company mail server ... so it's basically intra network, which doesn't matter. 

Depending on how much mail comes or goes out, the mail server could probably work just fine with as little as 1mbps or so ... unless your users constantly send emails with big attachments and they want emails to reach the recipients fast.  The mail servers queue outgoing mail and can send it over time, so for example a mail server could have 1 GB worth of outgoing mail and send it over the course of next hour or so... if you need it to go fast, you up the bandwidth. 

23 hours ago, Yankee delta said:

i need to se for a school  project what bandwidht i need for a businesses of 600 people and 1000.
they will do medium work such as: voip mail basic web browsing.

Assuming this is hypothetical then that's really easy. Have a look at both the Microsoft Exchange Bandwidth Calculator as well as the Microsoft Teams Network Requirements documentation. This will allow you to estimate bandwidth.

Having said that, if I was doing this for a client then we would be looking at:

• User layout: are all users in the same physical building or is it multi-campus. What is the inter-campus routing requirement
  • Network layout: are Express Routes / Peering availible instead of routing all traffic over the WAN.
  • What caching is available to reduce WAN dependency (e.g. WSUS/WUfB).
  • What percentage of traffic do we want to cater to? Are we planning to support 95% of traffic at X speed or is it okay if that download is only running at 2Mbps because the network is hammered? 

QOS will be something you want to consider to ensure congestion doesn't wreak havoc with telephony.