Thinking about getting a new headset, any recommendations?

ArunasNe

I'm looking for something that would be quite universal, I need for gaming, video, movies and music. So I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations? Currently thinking about Steelseries arctis pro headset, but again I don't know if I should get it with or without the dac? Does it make any difference? Besides the price of course, since I don't need any of those adjustments outside of software, I won't be messing with it on the go. All the help is much appreciated.

1 hour ago, ArunasNe said:

I'm looking for something that would be quite universal, I need for gaming, video, movies and music. So I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations? Currently thinking about Steelseries arctis pro headset, but again I don't know if I should get it with or without the dac? Does it make any difference? Besides the price of course, since I don't need any of those adjustments outside of software, I won't be messing with it on the go. All the help is much appreciated.

You are currently looking at the wrong place of the market for good audio in a headset. Forget about "gaming" headsets and focus on researching actual good audio. Let alone the build and comfort is questionable on all gaming headsets.

What I'd recommend are the MH752 from cooler master. They are "gaming" headphones BUT not made up from scratch from a clueless gaming company that makes keyboards or mice. They are reskinned with a really good mic on it for being on a headset. It is removable as well so it wont annoy you at all times. It has got a USB dongle thing that is pretty good and I think better than any motherboard built in audio out there. And for the love of F don't use surround. It doesn't make sense. Anyways. There are other headphone/mic combos out there that will be muuch much better than any headphone from steelseries, logitech, razer etc. The ones I use are the Fidelio X2HR from Philips. They are open back which is much better for music, movies and gaming IMO. They also have a removable 3.5mm cable which can be switched out for a mic/cable combo that can be inserted so you've got a headset. These headphones are built like a tank, super comfy with memory foam ear pads that are HUGE. The sound is really open and has a good imaging for that pin pointy accuracy. I'd rather recommend these over the MH752's since they are closed back and not worth it if you want to upgrade to a headphone DAC/amp later on.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wired

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

6 hours ago, Tigerleon said:

You are currently looking at the wrong place of the market for good audio in a headset. Forget about "gaming" headsets and focus on researching actual good audio. Let alone the build and comfort is questionable on all gaming headsets.

What I'd recommend are the MH752 from cooler master. They are "gaming" headphones BUT not made up from scratch from a clueless gaming company that makes keyboards or mice. They are reskinned with a really good mic on it for being on a headset. It is removable as well so it wont annoy you at all times. It has got a USB dongle thing that is pretty good and I think better than any motherboard built in audio out there. And for the love of F don't use surround. It doesn't make sense. Anyways. There are other headphone/mic combos out there that will be muuch much better than any headphone from steelseries, logitech, razer etc. The ones I use are the Fidelio X2HR from Philips. They are open back which is much better for music, movies and gaming IMO. They also have a removable 3.5mm cable which can be switched out for a mic/cable combo that can be inserted so you've got a headset. These headphones are built like a tank, super comfy with memory foam ear pads that are HUGE. The sound is really open and has a good imaging for that pin pointy accuracy. I'd rather recommend these over the MH752's since they are closed back and not worth it if you want to upgrade to a headphone DAC/amp later on.

So the sound from MH752 should be better than arctis pro? Since arctis pro seem to have high-res audio certification I thought it should sound better.

39 minutes ago, ArunasNe said:

So the sound from MH752 should be better than arctis pro? Since arctis pro seem to have high-res audio certification I thought it should sound better.

High res means nothing in the gaming headset world.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wired

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

Just now, Tigerleon said:

High res means nothing in the gaming headset world.

Well maybe, but I'm gonna be using them for well basically everything, mostly gaming, but not just gaming.

I would get a good headphone and a modmic ...

sennheiser hd280pro

akg k360

beyerdynamic dt770pro

takstar 280pro

if you want some close back ... there's a lot more tho and that's only the ones I'm thinking about on the top of my head.

for open back

phillips x2hr

dt990pro

etc.

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

2 hours ago, ArunasNe said:

Well maybe, but I'm gonna be using them for well basically everything, mostly gaming, but not just gaming.

The MH752 is going to be better than the Arctis in basically everything as well. I've used an MH752 before and demoed a bunch of different Arctis headsets and I can say the MH752/MH751 is better in every way.

But I also second the recommendations above if you don't need a built-in mic.

4 hours ago, ArunasNe said:

high-res audio certification

This really means nothing. It just means a company spent extra money to get certification confirming it does at least 24 bits 96khz. Which most devices support 24 bits and most people can't hear over 20khz. So it's a sticker used more of a gimmick than something actually materring