I disabled my Administrator account, and now I am left with no admin account

RockSolid1106
Go to solution Solved by RockSolid1106,

So, I got this fixed.

I had to boot into safe mode, and then over there, while signing in, my Administrator account(The one which I had disabled) was present. I selected it, entered my password and you know what I did further. 

Go ahead and create another administrator account and set it a password and done!

And that's how I got back the password field for the UAC prompt and now I am able to get administrator privileges.

Thanks to each one of you who helped me.

Hey guys

I have some serious issue here. 
How it started: Earlier I had an administrator(lets call it earlieradmin) account which had a password. And another account was a standard account(no admin rights). Now, I learnt that there was a built in administrator account in Windows and so I enabled it with:

net user administrator /active:yes

Then I set a password to the administrator account and then, I just deleted the 'earlieradmin' account. And then my mistake: I disabled the administrator account(net user administrator /active:no). And now, whenever I need admin rights on my standard account, all I see is the UAC prompt asking me to allow the app admin rights, but no way to enter the password. The only option over there is the "No" button.

What I have tried:

I have accessed cmd from the startup repair(or whatever) and then used the administrator(yes, it did allow me to enter cmd with that account with the password) and then enable the administrator account with:

net user administrator /active:yes

But then when I exit cmd and go to run an app with admin privileges, the issue is the same. I also tried to add a new account from the repair cmd and adding to the administrators group, but it just doesnt work. The account doesnt get added and its the exact same.

Please help me out

EDIT: This is Windows 10 Home

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

Yeah um... interesting...

too bad it's not Linux. Is there another account on the PC you can grant administrator to from CMD, or make a new admin account?

As Someone with the username “</TheCoder2019_”, my coding skills are atrocious.

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

Intel Core i3-8100 (Thanks, @Schnoz!)

GTX 1060 OC 3GB or Intel UHD 630

16GB (2x8) Cosair Vengeance LPX CL16 - 2400MHz

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page

Thanks for the reply.

No, I dont have any other account on the PC.

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

VPN Server Guide

Just now, LTTfan2006 said:

Thanks for the reply.

No, I dont have any other account on the PC.

Then make one with admin rights from startup repair, then log into the account without a password? Also make sure to quote people so they see your replies

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page

1 minute ago, TheCoder2019 said:

Then make one with admin rights from startup repair, then log into the account without a password? Also make sure to quote people so they see your replies

So you mean to go to the startup repair cmd, and then 

net user /add <some username>

Is that right?

And by the way, my account is a standard one, not an administrator. So I cant just make a standard user an administrator one

^

VPN Server Guide

Just now, LTTfan2006 said:

So you mean to go to the startup repair cmd, and then 

net user /add <some username>

Is that right?

Something like that. Then grant that account administrator. Look here for the syntax

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

GAMDIAS Argus M1

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Can you try making an account from the recovery environment and giving that admin permissions? If it doesn't let you do that then you may need to consider putting a Windows Password Recovery tool on a USB and booting to it.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

1 minute ago, TheCoder2019 said:

Something like that. Then grant that account administrator. Look here for the syntax

I have already done that, as I mentioned in the first post. I added an account:

net user /add <username> <password>

then 

net localgroup administrators [username] /add

But that wont work

^

VPN Server Guide

7 minutes ago, LTTfan2006 said:

And by the way, my account is a standard one, not an administrator. So I cant just make a standard user an administrator one

In recovery (from install media) you should be admin anyway

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

What I am doing:

Click the restart button while holding down the shift key. Then in the repair menu, I get into the cmd and over there, I can get admin privileges by entering my administrator password. And that's how I am adding a new administrator account. But everything remains the same, there is no new account added for some reason.'

Is that what you guys are asking me to do? Hope I am not getting something wrong.

^

VPN Server Guide

So guys, I went into the cmd of the repair options, and then I tried:

net user <my current username>

But then: 

the username could not be found.

This username is the user which I have logged onto, and I know that it exists. 

So what I think is, the cmd is looking for and adding new users to some other directory or whatever, and not the main directory. I dont know how to explain this, but I feel you can help me out with this. Thank you so much for your help.

^

VPN Server Guide

So, I got this fixed.

I had to boot into safe mode, and then over there, while signing in, my Administrator account(The one which I had disabled) was present. I selected it, entered my password and you know what I did further. 

Go ahead and create another administrator account and set it a password and done!

And that's how I got back the password field for the UAC prompt and now I am able to get administrator privileges.

Thanks to each one of you who helped me.

^

VPN Server Guide