A Mac Pro with RDNA2 Graphics Has Leaked on Geekbench

Random_Person1234

Summary

A Mac Pro with an Intel i9-10920X, 192GB of RAM, and an unreleased Radeon Pro W6900X has appeared on Geekbench. This follows Apple recently updating macOS to support RDNA2 GPUs. This GPU appears to be an Apple exclusive judging by its name. No specs of the card besides product name have been leaked, but it is rumored that this card could be the first Navi 21 GPU with 32GB of VRAM. This also follows a photo of an alleged RDNA2 GPU for Apple that was leaked earlier this week. The W6900X was tested in Apple Metal API test, with it scoring 171,448 points, slightly better than the 6900XT.

Leaked system specs:

Spoiler

image.png.adbac9e90d892d2da3c65acf0dd66589.png

Benchmarks:

Spoiler

image.png.91a604c888d59820edb5bb53f49f9754.png

Compared to other GPUs:

Spoiler

image.png.8a1c2883ddc223536a42fe139ea2d57d.png

Quotes

Just recently Apple updated its macOS operating system with support for Navi RDNA2 architecture GPUs. The changelog only mentions consumer Radeon RX models, but the support for the upcoming Radeon Pro series is likely coming soon as well

on Geekbench, an Intel Cascade Lake-X-based MacPro 7.1 has been spotted with a yet unreleased Radeon Pro W6900X graphics card. Judging by its name, it appears to be another Apple exclusive model. Unfortunately, nothing besides the product name has been leaked in terms of specifications, so we are unsure how much memory could this graphics card have but is likely that we are looking at the first Navi 21 model with 32GB of memory

In terms of performance, the graphics card was tested in Apple Metal API test. We are looking at various scores ranging from 152K to 171K points, which puts its right between Radeon RX 6800XT and RX 6900XT.

My thoughts

This looks much better than the Radeon Pro Vega II which currently is the best GPU in a Mac Pro. However, I wonder how much stock Apple will be able to muster of these cards, as RDNA2 GPUs have been pretty hard to come by in the PC market.

Sources

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/compute/2724505

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-radeon-pro-w6900x-navi21-for-apple-macpro-appears-in-leaked-benchmark-results

Edit: Also, ray-tracing on Macs??? I wonder if this card will have ray-tracing capabilities, although I don’t see a use case for it on macOS.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

Yes!!! RX 6000 series macOS drivers!

How AMD just has to figure out their drivers.

If they do, there will be a 6700 XT in my system at some point.

elephants

8 minutes ago, Random_Person1234 said:

A Mac Pro with an Intel i9-10920X

Personally I find this tidbit much more interesting - no Xeon in a Mac Pro?

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

6 minutes ago, Random_Person1234 said:

This GPU appears to be an Apple exclusive judging by its name.

Likely not since the W series is the workstation cards in general, maybe first to Apple devices. The W5700 & W5500 are available for both platforms where the Apple variation ends with X's. The WX series professional cards are all older Vega or Polaris based btw, so the timing for RNDA2 high end professional cards is correct.

I'm more interested in the CPU than the GPU. No production Mac Pro has ever used CPUs that aren't Xeons. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

4 minutes ago, tim0901 said:

Likely because a Xeon would actually be slower so if you don't need to go above the maximum ram of HEDT then you're better off price and performance to use HEDT than a Xeon. When HEDT and Xeon share the same socket and chipset generation you can put the HEDT CPUs in the Xeon motherboards without any alterations or specific BIOS support at all.

However I don't know if Apple would even do this, you can of course put your own CPU in to your Mac Pro, or it's not actually a Mac device at all.

Surely when the Apple ARM based CPU's eventually hit the Mac Pro product line, it will make the Intel variants look a bit silly. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

34 minutes ago, Random_Person1234 said:

Edit: Also, ray-tracing on Macs??? I wonder if this card will have ray-tracing capabilities, although I don’t see a use case for it on macOS.

Image rendering using hardware accelerated RT rather than pure CPU or GPU compute. Can do this with Blender on Windows.

https://techgage.com/article/testing-blender-2-81-alpha-with-nvidia-rtx/

23 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Likely not since the W series is the workstation cards in general, maybe first to Apple devices. The W5700 & W5500 are available for both platforms where the Apple variation ends with X's. The WX series professional cards are all older Vega or Polaris based btw, so the timing for RNDA2 high end professional cards is correct.

Don’t the Radeon Pro variants with an “X” at the end mean Apple exclusive? Looking at the Apple website, only the W5500X and W5700X  appear there. Is there even a performance difference between them and the non-X version?

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

5 minutes ago, Random_Person1234 said:

Don’t the Radeon Pro variants with an “X” at the end mean Apple exclusive.

I did say that 😉 However that doesn't mean exclusive, it means it has the VBIOS that allows it to work in a real actual Mac device.

Exclusive would imply there is no W6900 coming outside of Apple devices, because why would non Apple users give a damn otherwise.

5 minutes ago, Random_Person1234 said:

Is there even a performance difference between them and the non-X version?

No, just AMD's and Apple's blessing to actually use it. However there is likely more than just a simple flag in the VBIOS that allows it to be used in Mac devices, there's at least validation done but also likely some patches for things like Metal API. Basically it's not zero work from AMD or Apple.

@Random_Person1234Actually no I was wrong the W5700X has more CUs enabled than the W5700, interesting. 40 vs 36 and for the 5700 24 vs 22. Also the W5700X has different VRAM options, up to 32GB where the W5700 is 8GB only.

Very interesting, first generation I'm aware of with hardware customization like that.

Well cool to see though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

It'd be odd for Apple to release a Core-based Mac Pro, especially with the ARM transition underway. However, I could see that happening if the company wants to put out a "last hurrah" system that gives pros decent hardware until there's a suitable ARM replacement. A Core i9 would probably lower the starting price, too, much like the old single-core Power Mac G5 did.

Of course, this could also be an audacious Hackintosh... but it's fun to speculate.

2 hours ago, tim0901 said:

We only have specs so might not be a Mac Pro. 

53 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Of course, this could also be an audacious Hackintosh... but it's fun to speculate.

This is my guess as well.  I can't see Apple spending any money on the Intel Mac Pro line by updating the motherboard for any reason at all.  I do find it likely that a new line of MPX modules may be released, including the aforementioned Radeon.  But I don't think we'll see anything significant for the Mac Pro until next year when they finish up the AS migration.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

37 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

I can't see Apple spending any money on the Intel Mac Pro line by updating the motherboard for any reason at all

Edit: Argh nvm, bloody Intel naming. Forgot the Xeon W 3000 series were not LGA2066

Seals the deal for me, fake news (the CPU at least)

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

I don't see how this could be a Hackintosh, since it's an unreleased GPU. Unless AMD is trying to test their card on macOS. This test was also conducted only two days after Apple officially released a macOS beta update for RDNA2 GPU support.

3 minutes ago, Random_Person1234 said:

I don't see how this could be a Hackintosh, since it's an unreleased GPU. Unless AMD is trying to test their card on macOS. This test was also conducted only two days after Apple officially released a macOS beta update for RDNA2 GPU support.

The entire thing could be a lie, reported GPU model and everything. Mac OS supports RDNA2 so it could be any old AIB 6900XT.

40 minutes ago, leadeater said:

The entire thing could be a lie, reported GPU model and everything. Mac OS supports RDNA2 so it could be any old AIB 6900XT.

My feeling here is that this a hackintosh with the SMBIOS identifying it as a MacPro 7,1 (2019 MacPro) , as using a non-Xeon is typical of a Hackintosh "I could build a cheaper system" unit.

The GPU however might just be applying the same trick to the video driver.

Wonder if it will have RGB.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

11 hours ago, Random_Person1234 said:

Yes metal has the full support for the same types of ray intersect tests and Vulkan or DX, in-fact some these arrived in metal long before they did in Vulkan/DX. Redshift is one of (a few) of industry leading rendering engines that have added macOS GPU rendering support (using these apis).  

21 hours ago, Random_Person1234 said:

A Mac Pro with an Intel i9-10920X, 192GB of RAM, and an unreleased Radeon Pro W6900X

An i9 in a Mac Pro? The only two options I see are A) they want to make a cheaper SKU because sales of the previous Mac Pro were too low, or B) it's a hackintosh. I mean the identifier says MacPro 7,1. Wouldn't a new Mac Pro say MacPro 8,1? It is bleeding edge, running macOS 11.4, a beta that was only released a few days ago so I guess it's unlikely that it would be a hackintosh, but it's still a possibility.

If this new Mac Pro is only for base and the more expensive Mac Pros get Intel Xeon, why would Apple do that? I assume this i9 is much faster in single core than the 8-core Xeon-W. So they would have to make an Apple Silicon chip better or at least on par with that i9. They must be extra confident about their SOCs.

But I'm not saying I didn't expect this. I always thought that they needed to release one final Intel Mac Pro to get all the people who need Intel and could not switch to Apple Silicon for possibly years onto the latest platform both Intel and AMD have to offer. Remember, at WWDC20, Cook said they had "more Intel Macs in the pipeline". They've only released one so far, the 27" iMac.

wonder if apple will do M1 with AMD DGPU's? could it even work? very interesting. i wouldn't imagine they have PCI Express support with the M1 chip.

sounds like a lot of development to support people plugging PCI Express items in. i doubt they'd do it.

Would be cool if AMD made a dedicated GPU on the M1 Chip. that would be awesome... 🙂

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

2 hours ago, Maticks said:

wonder if apple will do M1 with AMD DGPU's? could it even work?

If it has PCI-E lanes and support then it will work,just like how NVIDIA's TESLA V100 GPUs work with the IBM Power 9.

While NVIDIA does provide special support in order for the cards to work with these CPUs,it works flawlessly.

You can see in the driver release highlights of driver 390.85 that there was a bug with Power 9 CPUs that was fixed:

• Fixed an issue in the CUDA driver which could result in a deadlock scenario when running applications (e.g. TensorFlow) on POWER 9 systems

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/131167/en-us

The TESLA V100 is a powerful card (Similar to the TITAN V),both have the same GPU.

The TESLA V100 works in both Intel/AMD systems and Power 9 systems.

The TESLA V100 is a beauty: 

data-center-tesla-v100-pcie-625-ud@2x.jp

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566