Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Are the features in Windows 10 Pro suspicious? It just looks like its gonna invade my privacy!

I was looking to change my OS but couldn't decide between Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro. The price is fine for each OS but I saw a lot of new features on Windows 10 Pro than on Windows 10 Home. I still can't decide or even figure out what all of the features mean for the Pro version. Can someone tell me which OS to get, and what settings to turn off? I'm only going to be using it for gaming and light video editing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TechHelpNeeded said:

Are the features in Windows 10 Pro suspicious? It just looks like its gonna invade my privacy!

Those features are there mostly for enterprise-use and power-users, they're not there for invading anyone's privacy.

3 minutes ago, TechHelpNeeded said:

Can someone tell me which OS to get

If you don't understand what the features do, then you most likely won't need them, either, and so you'd be just fine with the Home - edition.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just always work under the assumption that any version of windows 10 is basically streaming all of your data constantly to microsoft.

You can check little boxes in the os that say they aren't sharing that data but I've yet to see anyone ever confirm that it actually doesn't send that data.

Otherwise just go with linux or mac os. I don't personally like either of them but they are preferable over 10.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TechHelpNeeded said:

I was looking to change my OS but couldn't decide between Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro. The price is fine for each OS but I saw a lot of new features on Windows 10 Pro than on Windows 10 Home. I still can't decide or even figure out what all of the features mean for the Pro version. Can someone tell me which OS to get, and what settings to turn off? I'm only going to be using it for gaming and light video editing.

the features of windows 10 pro are not worth it for 97% of users. Most users who would use the pro version are people with threadrippers/xeons or servers who can use more than 128gb of ram (windows 10 home doesn't support more than 128gb of ram). 

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.

- He who fears he will suffer, already suffers because he fears.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, emosun said:

Just always work under the assumption that any version of windows 10 is basically streaming all of your data constantly to microsoft.

You can check little boxes in the os that say they aren't sharing that data but I've yet to see anyone ever confirm that it actually doesn't send that data.

No-Country-for-Old-Men_Tommy-Lee-Jones_Josh-Brolin_Javier-Bardem_9.jpg.bdfb250a2bcd05fa856522805a1c1623.jpg

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, emosun said:

I've yet to see anyone ever confirm that it actually doesn't send that data.

There would be big ass lawsuits all over the place if it did.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

 

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

 

GPD Win 2

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

There would be big ass lawsuits all over the place if it did.

if there was no EULA i bet there would be. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 Pro has features that most people won't need.

 

for example, a list of stuff Pro has:
Support for 2 sockets

Support for more than 128gb of ram

Domain support

Hyper-V

 

most home users won't need that.

Phone: iPhone SE 2020 | 64GB | iOS

PC: Supermicro X8DT3 | 2x Xeon X5650 | R9 290X | 32GB RAM | 1.25TB Total SSD | Bitfenix Whisper 850W | Windows 10 Pro

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol. I hope you don't use Android or iOS. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, emosun said:

if there was no EULA i bet there would be. 

EULAs are very very rarely legally binding and can easily be challenged in court, for things that do actually break the law.

🌲🌲🌲

Judge the product by its own merits, not by the Company that created it.

 

Don't dilute <good thing> by always trying to focus on, and drag conversation back to, <bad thing>.

🌲🌲🌲

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, emosun said:

if there was no EULA i bet there would be. 

What does the EULA have to do with this? If MS was found to be sending the data they offered a switch for and you explicitly turned off that would spark government level lawsuits on the spot. 

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

 

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

 

GPD Win 2

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×