Does Apple M1 graphic's actually better than 1050ti

e22big

Just curious, this story has been blowup for a while but the only data I saw is some obscene benchmark. Were they actually faster than 1050ti or is there something that is missing?

It's around 1050 Ti performance from my experience

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

20 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

It's around 1050 Ti performance from my experience

but how did you measure that number accurately? it's not like a Mac can run a PC games to compare FPS isn't it?

3 minutes ago, e22big said:

but how did you measure that number accurately? it's not like a Mac can run a PC games to compare FPS isn't it?

You can run GPU benchmarks such as OctaneBench and VRay, I believe. Pretty sure this comparison was based on expectations. What he expected the 1050Ti could do, the M1 usually could, and what he expected would be the 1050Ti's limit, was usually the M1's limit too.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

5 minutes ago, ImAlsoRan said:

You can run GPU benchmarks such as OctaneBench and VRay, I believe. Pretty sure this comparison was based on expectations. What he expected the 1050Ti could do, the M1 usually could, and what he expected would be the 1050Ti's limit, was usually the M1's limit too.

But that's the thing, they only have benchmark information to rely on - and many of those aren't exactly a wildly use benchmark for gaming graphic, not something like TimeSpy and such.

Pro-Apple media had a long history of cherrypicking benchmark that benefit their mobile workload (even M1 CPU itself) so I kind of curious if that data is actually reliable. In M1 CPU case, they can justify not performing that well on Cinabench with real world result but there's no such thing for its GPU and all we know is that it can run mobile game well.

2 minutes ago, e22big said:

But that's the thing, they only have benchmark information to rely on - and many of those aren't exactly a wildly use benchmark for gaming graphic, not something like TimeSpy and such.

Pro-Apple media had a long history of cherrypicking benchmark that benefit their mobile workload (even M1 CPU itself) so I kind of curious if that data is actually reliable. In M1 CPU case, they can justify not performing that well on Cinabench with real world result but there's no such thing for its GPU and all we know is that it can run mobile game well.

You never mentioned gaming. You're going to get wildly different results since macOS uses Metal and Windows uses DirectX (which is why there aren't as many games on Mac, and why the games on Mac don't perform that great) M1 benchmarks are hard since most established ones weren't ported at the time.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

17 minutes ago, ImAlsoRan said:

You never mentioned gaming. You're going to get wildly different results since macOS uses Metal and Windows uses DirectX (which is why there aren't as many games on Mac, and why the games on Mac don't perform that great) M1 benchmarks are hard since most established ones weren't ported at the time.

well if they are comparing it to a 1050ti, I'll definitely hold them up for that since it's a gaming GPU 

but I can see yout point

8 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Is like asking if a Tesla battery has a higher capacity than a diesel tractor

Basically this. And another factor is that M1 runs in ARM, not x86. ARM is far more leaner than x86, which means way less overhead for the GPU to chew through. And its not like M1 is geared to gamer, its still the same target audience that mac hits since the dawn of time: educational and office worker, and lifestyle people.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 hour ago, e22big said:

well if they are comparing it to a 1050ti, I'll definitely hold them up for that since it's a gaming GPU 

but I can see yout point

Apple metal isn't focused for games. It's was made with productivity in mind and games just use it. When comparing games between macosx and windows with identical hardware osx is worse off in general.

So in terms of compute power it's about the performance of a 1050ti. In terms of gaming who knows it's not made for that both in hardware and software.