WAN Show is pre-recorded?

dilpickle

EDIT: OK it's live as confirmed by Linus. The captions were ahead of the audio because reasons. 🙃

I've never watched this show but I always see it as a livestream in my youtube feed. I happened to watch it today and turned on captions. I was surprised to see that the captions are pre-transcribed and the words are actually appearing before they say them.

The show is still streaming as I type this so you can check yourself.

Is this already known? Because it's news to me. Is this a one time thing?

Kinda lame to have all those people in youtube chat donating money and asking questions when no one is seeing it.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.f4a98a5ff41c983610e91377cd74251b.jpg

There has seemed to be a new youtube feature in place to make Auto Generated looks like an official captions. Seen it on mine as well.

image.png.abfe7aec8f56cf27a364a47b5fcb7ed1.png

First translated titles for no reason in the search bar, now this? I get that Google wanna make google translate better at word recognition, but not like this.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

2 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

There has seemed to be a new youtube feature in place to make Auto Generated looks like an official captions. Seen it on mine as well.

image.png.abfe7aec8f56cf27a364a47b5fcb7ed1.png

First translated titles for no reason in the search bar, now this? I get that Google wanna make google translate better at word recognition, but not like this.

No like I said the words are appearing before they say them. And they are almost 100% accurate.

Plus I just heard a bad word being bleeped.

This is 100% a pre-recorded show. You can see for yourself right now.

1 minute ago, dilpickle said:

No like I said the words are appearing before they say them. And they are almost 100% accurate.

Plus I just heard a bad word being bleeped.

This is 100% a pre-recorded show. You can see for yourself right now.

Explain the superchats.
Also, I got "ASUS" as "a sous". LTT became "ltte".

elephants

Just now, FakeKGB said:

Explain the superchats.

It's a pre-recorded show going out as a live stream. The chat is live like I said and those people don't seem to know any better.

And they are almost 100% accurate

But it is explicitly said: Auto Generated, Beta. And there's no way to add custom languages, i was in the short lived youtube subtitling program.

image.png.b3cf90ec544a66230d7390a7aa152cca.png

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Just now, dilpickle said:

It's a pre-recorded show going out as a live stream. The chat is live like I said and those people don't seem to know any better.

That's not an answer. Linus has interacted with chat before, and he reads out superchats at the end. How do you explain that?

elephants

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

That's not an answer. Linus has interacted with chat before, and he reads out superchats at the end. How do you explain that?

How do you explain 3 curse words being perfectly bleeped and entire sentences appearing in captions before they are spoken.

I'm guessing this is live for Floatplane people and those are the one they are chatting with. I don't know.

Explain the superchats.

It's not pre-recorded. It's live, but on YouTube, live isn't like to the second, there's always a delay, because the stream has to be uploaded, processed, and then pushed back out. That's why Linus and Luke simultaneously use Discord, so that they can see and react to each other in realtime. They are responsible for bleeping themselves, as well. That's not done after the fact.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

How do you explain 3 curse words being perfectly bleeped and entire sentences appearing in captions before they are spoken.

Linus has a thing that bleeps swears for him; he's discussed it before.

Also, subtitles aren't perfect for me. They're also a bit delayed.

I'm guessing this is live for Floatplane people and those are the one they are chatting with. I don't know.

YouTube superchats.

Twitch chat.
I've seen him respond.

elephants

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Also, subtitles aren't perfect for me. They're also a bit delayed.

In just 20 minutes I've seen about 50 instances of captions being ahead of audio. I don't know how else I can convince you.

In just 20 minutes I've seen about 50 instances of captions being ahead of audio. I don't know how else I can convince you.

In just about 20 minutes I've seen about 5 times where Linus interacted with live chats and subtitles were behind or inaccurate. I don't know how else I can convince you.

elephants

4 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

There's AI that does it 99% of the time, I've used similar systems in broadcast christ 20 years ago? 

As for the delay, youtubes auto generation has a buffer, the stream will be 2-5minutes delayed to begin with. Plenty of time for the backend to auto generate subtitles 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

Desync. Not remarkable.

Also live TV and radio have used a 5-second delay to bleep words for decades and nobody claims they aren't really live because of it. Every stream you watch is delayed. Some streamers intentionally add more delay to stop stream snipers. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Youtube livestream is behind compared to Twitch. This delay is plenty of time for auto generated captions.

You're trying too hard to convince yourself that your idea that it is pre-recorded is true based on auto generated captions, when there's plenty of evidences that it is not.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

In just about 20 minutes I've seen about 5 times where Linus interacted with live chats and subtitles were behind or inaccurate. I don't know how else I can convince you.

I was paying attention to chat and nothing that they were reading was coming from there. Maybe they are looking at another chat but it definitely ain't youtube.

I was paying attention to chat and nothing that they were reading was coming from there. Maybe they are looking at another chat but it definitely ain't youtube.

I watch on Twitch, usually. I only opened up YouTube to check your subtitles thing.

Anyway, it's a moot point. There's plenty of explanations on this thread about the delay and why it exists. If you'd like to believe that it's prerecorded, go ahead.

elephants

1 minute ago, LinusTech said:

It is live lol. We just went through superchats at the end of the show (as we always do - except when we forget)

Alright say no more. 😀

The caption thing really messed with my head though.

3 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

It is live lol. We just went through superchats at the end of the show (as we always do - except when we forget)

the man himself came here to prove you wrong lol

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

2 minutes ago, Downkey said:

the man himself came here to prove you wrong lol

Inb4 thats exactly what he wants 

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic”

Q. How can there be subtitles for a live stream?

A. There's a delay on the youtube stream. The subtitles are automatically generated by Youtube. It's a rather nifty feature that allows hearing impaired people to access & enjoy live stream content.

Q. How can they bleep swear words in a live stream?
A. Linus uses a GoXLR mic interface which has a built in censor button that adds the beep. Linus pushes the button whenever he swears. Youtube does not add bleeps to videos to censor swear words (they just demonetise the video if they're not advertiser friendly).

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450