Unlimited Data 4G hotspot?

Daisyahoy

Hi guys,

I live in the sticks but have really good 4g/4glte signal.
At&t won't sell me "fixed wireless" internet as I have access to dsl. My dsl is on an extremely old section of infrastructure and, according to many techs that have visited, struggles to keep up and was only built for 8meg speed many years ago. I get around 5meg but weekly I deal with latency of around 2500ms. I've had countless tickets for it going out constantly.

Anywho, I hear of people getting these 4g modems and sticking a sim card in it and wham-bam they have great speeds and unlimited data with very little headache.

Can someone explain some options to aquire this miracle internet?

I've been dealing with my dsl for 10 years now.

Thanks for any advice.

If you can help, I'll name my third born after you.

17 minutes ago, Daisyahoy said:

Well, its just that, find a 4G modem. I personally do not recommend anything thats touted as portable because most of it pretty much have a shitty wifi antennas. I found Netgear and TP-Link to be the more reliable brand in this category, but there's a lot of it on the market.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

28 minutes ago, Daisyahoy said:

Hi guys,

I live in the sticks but have really good 4g/4glte signal.
At&t won't sell me "fixed wireless" internet as I have access to dsl. My dsl is on an extremely old section of infrastructure and, according to many techs that have visited, struggles to keep up and was only built for 8meg speed many years ago. I get around 5meg but weekly I deal with latency of around 2500ms. I've had countless tickets for it going out constantly.

Anywho, I hear of people getting these 4g modems and sticking a sim card in it and wham-bam they have great speeds and unlimited data with very little headache.

I've been dealing with my dsl for 10 years now.

Thanks for any advice.

If you can help, I'll name my third born after you.

If you want to go for unlimited data, starlink is probably the best long term option

3 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

Well, its just that, find a 4G modem. I personally do not recommend anything thats touted as portable because most of it pretty much have a shitty wifi antennas. I found Netgear and TP-Link to be the more reliable brand in this category, but there's a lot of it on the market.

Getting the 4g modem I get, also considered a few external antenna I can mount to the house. What are people doing to get the data plans? When I ask At&t they won't sell me unlimited for hotspot.

3 hours ago, curiousmind34 said:

If you want to go for unlimited data, starlink is probably the best long term option

Seems a smidge out of my budget. I've heard of people getting data plans for 4g between $20-$40. I'll believe it when I see it sure but I'm hopeful lol.

AT&T might not have enough local mobile capacity, it's the only reason I can think of why they'd refuse to sell you a new plan. (My Internet varies from barely tolerable to Morse-like during the day, but works well at night.)

If you don't need open ports for stuff like hosting servers, you don't need any special plan - the same plan you'd use in a phone works the same in a dedicated modem. ISP can tell the difference, so if the contract is silly enough to forbid any specific use, it's better to find something else. Prepaids are the simplest way to go (assuming the US has those), they're also the smallest commitment. An old phone works just fine as a trial modem.

Around here operators don't publicly list all the plans they currently sell, and support might not have access to any extra deals either. What you really want, for once in this wretched world, is an actual sales person. Don't be afraid to say no/that you'll need to think about it/that it's too expensive. Repeat (over time) until you get a rep that wants to make a sale.

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2021 at 2:27 AM, SorryClaire said:

asus is good is well but its not budget friendly