well trying to think between sdd or m.2 ones

ShiroEerie
Go to solution Solved by SorryBella,
6 minutes ago, ShiroEerie said:

well just thinking of buying the 240-500gb ones either ssd or m.2. but some say m.2 overheats too much and it is much better to get a ssd well can i have others opinions about this

Youre confusing the m.2 INTERFACE, and m.2 NvME PROTOCOL.

If both runs at the same protocol (NVME or SATA), both will run as hot as the other. The advantage of the 2.5 inch SSD is that they have more surface to dissipate heat but thats moot point because the heat generating chip is confined inside of a closed enclosure. and as long as you dont put on a bad m.2 "heatsink" shields, the temperature should be under control.

well just thinking of buying the 240-500gb ones either ssd or m.2. but some say m.2 overheats too much and it is much better to get a ssd well can i have others opinions about this

I have never had any overheatingf issue with my Nvme M.2, but you can get a SATA M.2 they dont heat more than regular SSD's.

If your motherboard have heat shielding over the m.2 it will not be a problem anyways.

And they are also much more convenient since they dont need any cables or dedicated space in the case

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

6 minutes ago, ShiroEerie said:

If both runs at the same protocol (NVME or SATA), both will run as hot as the other. The advantage of the 2.5 inch SSD is that they have more surface to dissipate heat but thats moot point because the heat generating chip is confined inside of a closed enclosure. and as long as you dont put on a bad m.2 "heatsink" shields, the temperature should be under control.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

7 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

More or less heatsink shields is also a variable on temperature. okey, so for those who ain't get any should still buy m.2?

3 minutes ago, ShiroEerie said:

More or less heatsink shields is also a variable on temperature. okey, so for those who ain't get any should still buy m.2?

Personally I wouldn't hesitate, just for the convenience alone

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

Just now, ShiroEerie said:

who ain't get any should still buy m.2?

Well it depends. In my opinion, unless if you dont have a 2.5 inch drive bay or you need a small boot drive to fit in a backpack when you need it, never get an m.2 SATA SSD. However, for m.2 nvme, the case is way stronger as the u.2 standards of 2.5 inch nvme SSD pretty much fades to obscurity. But it all depends on your use case, if you just need a fast boot drive and faster loading times for apps, m.2 nvme SSDs are luxuries not commodities. But if you need the random IOPS performance in the case of 3D Rendering, Video Editing scratch disks, or drive caching, go for it if you can afford it.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

M.2 is just the connection. SSDs can use either a SATA or NVMe interface, both with M.2.

An SSD is primarily composed of NAND flash memory and a controller. The NAND actually need to be hot to function correctly, but don't generate any heat on their own. The heat comes from the controller, which can get too hot under certain circumstances. However M.2 drives have a heat spreader label on them that serves to transfer the heat being generated by the controller to the NAND, so they're pretty much self regulating.

The only exception is super fast PCIe 4.0 drives and/or extended heavy I/O workloads. In that case, it's sometimes beneficial to add an additional heatsink. A lot of drives come with one, and most motherboards now included heatsinks for the M.2 slots as well. Even in those extreme scenarios where the drive gets too hot, using a heat sink will be enough to keep it cool.

Long and short, there's nothing to worry about. Even though you may not always see a tangible benefit from NVMe speeds in some applications like gaming, NVMe and SATA cost virtually the same now, so you should probably just always get an NVMe drive, unless you're out of M.2 slots.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse