Western Digital Blue (Wd20ezaz) 2tb HD revving up sound

Leofilipe

INB4: Sorry, i just noticed i posted on the wrong Sub-forum

I bought a Western Digital Blue Wd20ezaz 2tb (SMR) HDD and since i bought, it makes this annoying revving up sound, it brings the usage to 100% and latencies up to 15000ms.

My concern is, i use it only for data and windows started to report errors in one of the partitions from that hard drive which is now 2 months old, WD Dashboard reports no errors and S.M.A.R.T reports health both on Dashboard and Speccy and i am unsure if this sound is from the heads of the hard drive, i had my concerns before when Linus did the Video about SMR and CMR, i just didn't though it would be so bad.

Here is a screenshot from one of the lags and windows stopped responding for a good 3 seconds while opening a folder.

Specs: Ryzen 5 2600

Asus Prime B350 Plus

8gb Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz

Galax 1030 EXOC 2gb GDDR5 64 bits

Power Supply: Knup 500W

HDs: 1TB Hitachi 3Gb/s 7200 RPM

2 TB WB Blue SMR 6Gb/s 5400 RPM

Power Settings at Maximum Performance and HDs sleep set to never.

Any Suggestions about how to improve this drive? Is this rev up sound a sign of defect? 

vfAZYny.png

Edited by Leofilipe

-Merged-

If you need a thread moved, feel free to report it and we can take care of it for you

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, Slottr said:

-Merged-

If you need a thread moved, feel free to report it and we can take care of it for you

Okay thanks!

Hard drives are loud, no other way to go about it.

SMR drives are also much less efficient as they have to work a lot harder to do the same thing a CMR drive can, resulting in more noise.

elephants

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Hard drives are loud, no other way to go about it.

SMR drives are also much less efficient as they have to work a lot harder to do the same thing a CMR drive can, resulting in more noise.

It's weird, i never experienced a hard drive being louder than my CPU fans, My 1 TB drive is quiet af, my 500gb HD i had before this 2tb one was quiet as well, probally because of them being CMR?

1 minute ago, Leofilipe said:

It's weird, i never experienced a hard drive being louder than my CPU fans, My 1 TB drive is quiet af, my 500gb HD i had before this 2tb one was quiet as well.

I guess I've just gotten used to tuning out HDD noise since I have a decent number of older ones (e.g. 2004 or older). My Bigfoot TX is quite loud.

Can you measure the loudness level in some way, perhaps by recording the HDD with your phone, converting the MP4 to an MP3, and then looking at the sound pattern?

elephants

3 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Uhh? I have CMR drives way louder than SMR drives. This sounds like the old "Hard drives are heavier when they're full because they have files on them" myth.

It really just depends on the drive.

17 minutes ago, Leofilipe said:

I bought a Western Digital Blue Wd20ezaz 2tb (SMR) HDD and since i bought, it makes this annoying revving up sound, it brings the usage to 100% and latencies up to 15000ms.

Check windows power plan settings and see if it is set to turn off hard disks after X minutes. From what you described it sounds as if your drive is going to sleep while idle, then when you try to access the drive it is spinning up which would explain the "revving up" noise and the 15000ms latency.

Ignore Speccy, that hasn't been updated in years and was always useless. CrystalDiskInfo would give you more information about your drive. WD has their own software for checking drive health as well called Data Lifeguard.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

14 hours ago, Spotty said:

Uhh? I have CMR drives way louder than SMR drives. This sounds like the old "Hard drives are heavier when they're full because they have files on them" myth.

It really just depends on the drive.

Check windows power plan settings and see if it is set to turn off hard disks after X minutes. From what you described it sounds as if your drive is going to sleep while idle, then when you try to access the drive it is spinning up which would explain the "revving up" noise and the 15000ms latency.

Ignore Speccy, that hasn't been updated in years and was always useless. CrystalDiskInfo would give you more information about your drive. WD has their own software for checking drive health as well called Data Lifeguard.

Power plan has been set to never turn off Hard Disks. 

On 4/22/2021 at 11:12 PM, FakeKGB said:

I guess I've just gotten used to tuning out HDD noise since I have a decent number of older ones (e.g. 2004 or older). My Bigfoot TX is quite loud.

Can you measure the loudness level in some way, perhaps by recording the HDD with your phone, converting the MP4 to an MP3, and then looking at the sound pattern?

Hey there, i managed to record the HD sound, i uploaded into vocaroo and a screenshot from crystaldiskinfo: https://voca.ro/19GIkHQiC6fg

Update: Windows is booting into disk error recovery every single time reporting errors on hard drive.

Update two: i am trying to backup everything on that HD, and i discovered when the HD does the sound, it actually puts some latency but also writes and read, so i guess the HD despite being 100% in use it's not properly reading/writing?

1802476367_20210423_1633331.jpg

HD.jpg

HD no write.jpg

Edited by Leofilipe
Adding evidence