A $1000 is enough to get a better card, but you can likely only get something in the 10-series or maybe a low end 20-series with Nvidia and something roughly equivalent on the AMD side. In other words, it would be an upgrade, but you'd be vastly overpaying for it, and it wouldn't be anything current.
It would be far better to just wait. Eventually the market will correct itself, and you'll be able to get far more bang for your buck. It's likely going to be another year, but unless you just have to have a GPU (like your current one breaks or something) it's just not worth being impatient.