Applied paste on gpu and hotter than before

PWforPower

Can gpu sag because applied thicker not soft thermal pads than before on ram. Its looking a little bent now with right ram pads and I think it not touching cpu correctly, it have a little bit space between I think, its notfully pressed. 

So, now its 4C° hotter than before. 

Also I reapplied paste to many times to check if I've applied it right. I always use same paste and paste isnt problem, also I putted right pads as before. 

So, my question is:

Can bad not soft thicker pads bent gpu pcb if it strong screwed. 

If its bent and not touching heatsink correctly and cpu is 4C° hotter how can I fix it ? 

If the heatsink is screwed on with too much force, it can cause the PCB to flex and create hotspots amongst many other issues. As far as pads, they usually need to be a specific thickness for the heatsink to mount correctly and make good contact with all the relevant components.

28 minutes ago, PWforPower said:

Can gpu sag because applied thicker not soft thermal pads than before on ram. Its looking a little bent now with right ram pads and I think it not touching cpu correctly, it have a little bit space between I think, its notfully pressed. 

So, now its 4C° hotter than before. 

Also I reapplied paste to many times to check if I've applied it right. I always use same paste and paste isnt problem, also I putted right pads as before. 

So, my question is:

Can bad not soft thicker pads bent gpu pcb if it strong screwed. 

If its bent and not touching heatsink correctly and cpu is 4C° hotter how can I fix it ? 

Sag is a different thing than putting it back together differently. Sag is about the weight of the card as a whole being too much for the support system.  It’s more about the motherboard and case than the internals of the card.  You say the pads are different then you say “I putted right pads as before” which I’m not sure I understand.

”can bad not soft thicker pads bent gpu pcb if strong screwed” there is a bit of tense confusion there, and I’m not sure I understand, but I think “yes”.

second part is less unclear to me I think. 
there is a difference between “bent” and “bowed”. “Bent” implies permanence.  If you remove the pressure it will not return to shape. I don’t know if the part is bent or merely bowed.  Bent in this case would include the breaking the strips of copper embedded in the fiberglass of the pcb.  If it’s actually bent this would be a don’t touch it and thank your lucky stars it still works at all.

If it’s bowed it would be take it apart again and use the right thermal pads this time. And apparently also a torque wrench.   I don’t know whether it’s bent or bowed though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 4/22/2021 at 11:01 PM, Bombastinator said:

second part is less unclear to me I think. 
there is a difference between “bent” and “bowed”. “Bent” implies permanence.  If you remove the pressure it will not return to shape. I don’t know if the part is bent or merely bowed.  Bent in this case would include the breaking the strips of copper embedded in the fiberglass of the pcb.  If it’s actually bent this would be a don’t touch it and thank your lucky stars it still works at all.

If it’s bowed it would be take it apart again and use the right thermal pads this time. And apparently also a torque wrench.   I don’t know whether it’s bent or bowed though.

Thank you !!!!!

It's bent, it not going to return to shape. I've changed to right thermal pads, but its again bent and temps are 4C higher than before.

So could that be fixed ?

1 hour ago, PWforPower said:

Thank you !!!!!

It's bent, it not going to return to shape. I've changed to right thermal pads, but its again bent and temps are 4C higher than before.

So could that be fixed ?

Damaged cards like that are not reliable because of the layers that include etched copper “wires”.  They are easy to break.  Copper has a bit of stretch but not a lot and it doesn’t retract much when pressure is reduced.  The stuff is not a rubber band.  If I had a component that I had bent that still worked at all I would avoid touching it or jostling the device because there’s no telling what could make it stop working entirely. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

What gpu? Didn't certain amd cards use thermal pads on the gpu not paste? 

8 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

What gpu? Didn't certain amd cards use thermal pads on the gpu not paste? 

Gtx 970 gigabyte g1 gaming 

9 hours ago, PWforPower said:

Gtx 970 gigabyte g1 gaming 

Interesting. That one didn't use thermal pads to the gpu so that shouldn't be the issue. 

Is the pcb bent or the cooler? Maybe pictures would help. 

If the pcb is bent but when you have the cooler off it isn't bent then it might be on too tight. Just a thought. 

If you put thicker than the spec, 1.0mm thermal pads, then it can surely cause you to have less mounting pressure on the GPU die, less contact, and worse thermals.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X - NH-D14

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING

RAM: G.SKILL F4-3600C14D-16GTZNB (4 x 3800 14-15-15-35-50-1T)

GPU: Nvidia Reference GTX Titan X

13 minutes ago, Motleyguts said:

If you put thicker than the spec, 1.0mm thermal pads, then it can surely cause you to have less mounting pressure on the GPU die, less contact, and worse thermals.

Yes than I've changed to spec and temps are 4 higher than before touching anything, but better than 1mm when it was 99C

15 minutes ago, Motleyguts said:

I can make photos or video, but its hard to see, as you can know that only 0.25mm space betwen gpu die can cause worser temps.

I can see, if you look in two points imaginary line on pcb in distance of 12cm, you can see that middle point of this imaginary line on pcb slipping away for a little bit about <0.25mm or maybe <0.5mm.

So its like 2 degrees from circle.

If its bent, I would double check where you're placing the thermal pads, and making sure you haven't accidentally put them on something that isn't meant to have a pad on them. Compare yours to high resolution PCB images on the web for proper placement. PCB shouldn't be bent so there's only so many reasons why it would be... thermal pad in the wrong spot, thermal pad too thick, a wire from the heatsink's fan or something in between surfaces...

As you know, hard to tell without the card to examine. Maybe take some high resolution images of your own card with cooler on from top-down, side-view, remove the cooler and get some good shots of both sides of the card.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X - NH-D14

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING

RAM: G.SKILL F4-3600C14D-16GTZNB (4 x 3800 14-15-15-35-50-1T)

GPU: Nvidia Reference GTX Titan X

I will do that again, but tommorow. Expect for more than 12 hours.

Im sure that nothing elese than pcb itself makes not touchin correctly gpu die. Many time screwed and reaplied paste which I use always, also all thermal pads applied to the same place where they were, but again after that all there can be some fauilure, so I will check it again and send photos.

Thank you for help, it could be helpful to many others.