is it better to do a dual boot or use a software like wine for playing some video games

Go to solution Solved by mahyar,
Just now, sphixy said:

idk some indie games (game that dont need a lot of peformance)

well if thats the case you can get away with wine

granted compatibility is not guaranteed but most incompatibilities are from anti cheat software so most games that do not use        anti cheat software most definitely will work

i myself played a handful of (older) AAA game on my ancient laptop with wine

aslo a tech tip when playing a game in linux if possible set the rendering api to directx11 it will get you better performance  

hello i want to use linux for my new pc but i dont know if its better to do a dualboot with window or use a compatiblity layer . what is the best option ?

your answer is a very solid and strong:

it depends

what games exactly?

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

Dual boot. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

Tout à l'heure, Mahyar a dit:

votre réponse est un très solide et fort:

ça dépend

quels jeux exactement?

Just now, sphixy said:

granted compatibility is not guaranteed but most incompatibilities are from anti cheat software so most games that do not use        anti cheat software most definitely will work

aslo a tech tip when playing a game in linux if possible set the rendering api to directx11 it will get you better performance  

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

8 minutes ago, mahyar said:

thanks for the very quick reply

I personally dual boot. Wine/Proton are both still at a state of infancy, and a lot of games don't bother making dedicated Linux versions. A lot of games that happen to use weird dependencies, or anti-cheat would probably have issues and/or not run at all. Additionally you'll probably experience various bugs and issues which, if you're not very Linux-savvy, would be almost impossible to debug and fix. I also experienced quite a lot of lag and issues with VR when running under Linux.

I simply use Windows for all my gaming needs. Simply waiting for a minute to reboot is so much easier than trying to get stuff to run via Wine/Proton when it doesn't "just work".

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

10 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

I personally dual boot. Wine/Proton are both still at a state of infancy, and a lot of games don't bother making dedicated Linux versions. A lot of games that happen to use weird dependencies, or anti-cheat would probably have issues and/or not run at all. Additionally you'll probably experience various bugs and issues which, if you're not very Linux-savvy, would be almost impossible to debug and fix. I also experienced quite a lot of lag and issues with VR when running under Linux.

I simply use Windows for all my gaming needs. Simply waiting for a minute to reboot is so much easier than trying to get stuff to run via Wine/Proton when it doesn't "just work".

i dont really want to try to setup dual boot beacause i dont want to make somthing wrong and it make my pc unusable i think i will try wine and if it dont work i will try the dual boot

Well, I agree with mahyar and others in this thread - it really depends on what you are doing on the computer, your priorities, and also heavily on what games you play. Depending on the titles and your luck, experiences may vary =).

As someone gaming on Linux since the early 2000s (!), things have improved a lot since then. I'm also someone who can easily do and doesn't mind doing a few tweaks here and there. However, some games work just fine out-of-the-box without any tweaks (with Proton and/or Wine,), some games have native ports and those numbers have been steadily albeit slowly increasing over the year - though, I must admit, some ports are poorly done / optimized, some are excellent.

What I would suggest, since I've gathered you've determined you want to install some Linux distribution in any case, just try it! If you're lucky (with the titles you want to play), you don't need to dual boot, but if some game doesn't work because of incompatibility issues, boot into Windows. You can do both - they're not mutually exclusive 😉

7 hours ago, Wild Penquin said:

Well, I agree with mahyar and others in this thread - it really depends on what you are doing on the computer, your priorities, and also heavily on what games you play. Depending on the titles and your luck, experiences may vary =).

As someone gaming on Linux since the early 2000s (!), things have improved a lot since then. I'm also someone who can easily do and doesn't mind doing a few tweaks here and there. However, some games work just fine out-of-the-box without any tweaks (with Proton and/or Wine,), some games have native ports and those numbers have been steadily albeit slowly increasing over the year - though, I must admit, some ports are poorly done / optimized, some are excellent.

What I would suggest, since I've gathered you've determined you want to install some Linux distribution in any case, just try it! If you're lucky (with the titles you want to play), you don't need to dual boot, but if some game doesn't work because of incompatibility issues, boot into Windows. You can do both - they're not mutually exclusive 😉

i decided to make a usb bootable for linux and having windows ten directly in my hard drive (i think its the best idea)

6 hours ago, sphixy said:

i decided to make a usb bootable for linux and having windows ten directly in my hard drive (i think its the best idea)

Keep in mind your usb based distro won't save anything you do in it after a reboot. There are ways to make a usb drive based install persistent though.

On 4/22/2021 at 3:42 PM, sphixy said:

i dont really want to try to setup dual boot beacause i dont want to make somthing wrong and it make my pc unusable i think i will try wine and if it dont work i will try the dual boot

Dual booting is super easy with distros like Mint, Ubuntu, or Pop OS. The installers literally take care of everything for you. Just install windows first, boot to a linux usb, resize shrink the windows partition, and hit install.

On 4/23/2021 at 12:20 PM, sphixy said:

That is a great way to try out a linux distro, some distros like Tails primarily run from a usb, but you will be limited to the speed of your usb drive. Additionally, unless you get a distro that is made to run from a usb, most of them do not have persistence. That means saved files and preferences are only available until you turn your computer off