Windows 8.1 on 9th gen Intel CPU's

pplx5568

I built my new computer and I am trying to avoid Linux and Windows 10 does anyone know if i can install Windows 8.1 or Windows 7

Not officially supported.

Why do you want to use an old version? You'll have very little support or updates.

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, pplx5568 said:

I built my new computer and I am trying to avoid Linux and Windows 10 does anyone know if i can install Windows 8.1 or Windows 7

The first step is to reduce your text size and use the forum default font instead of Comic Sans.

The answer is yes, but only if you already have a copy (i.e. they're no longer available to download from Microsoft).

What problem do you have with either Win10 or Linux, anyway?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Those oses aren't supported on 9th gen hardware. Id really suggest running windows 10 as software  and hardware support is dropping fast for these old oses, and there are problems like no gpu drivers for windows 8.1 on modern gpus now.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Those oses aren't supported on 9th gen hardware. Id really suggest running windows 10 as software  and hardware support is dropping fast for these old oses, and there are problems like no gpu drivers for windows 8.1 on modern gpus now.

Also 8.1 goes end of support in less than 2 years so basically no software support, hardware support and a security risk by then (and the first 2 starts well before the end of support).

You really have no reason to avoid windows 10, the hardware support are very good, especially for newer one.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

You really have no reason to avoid windows 10, the hardware support are very good, especially for newer one.

I mean it is a pretty crap and bloated os but windows 8.1 isn't too much better off anyways. It's basically windows 10 or nothing from now on in terms of windows editions (not counting server or pos systems).

8 minutes ago, jaslion said:

pos systems

Point-of-sale or piece of s**t? Well, I guess it applies to both...

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

8 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I mean it is a pretty crap and bloated os but windows 8.1 isn't too much better off anyways. It's basically windows 10 or nothing from now on in terms of windows editions (not counting server or pos systems).

I  ight get windows 10 enterprise or something without the bloat

You can de-bloat Windows 10 yourself. Just look it up on YouTube, there's a tonne of different guides on how to do it. I personally recommend using Winaero, as it doesn't make Windows useless, yet you can disable the automatic app installs and get rid of some of the bloat. The more bloat you remove, the less Windows functions as expected.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

-> Moved to Windows

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv