@Piecku @xg32

Nvm, just saw the video review from optimum tech:

TLDW:

Pros

- HDR really is impressive and unlike any other current monitor

- finally a 4K 144Hz 32" monitor

Cons

- Response times look like from mid-range VA monitors

- No HDMI 2.1 (not a dealbreaker for me but i'd say for many people who also want their console to fully utilize this monitor)

- Clear purple/magenta lines in between the backlight zones when 2 zones show something white, like for example your browser (seriously, why would anyone think this is ok in a product like this)

- obiously price ($3000)

Maybe i was ready to really splurge on a a high-end monitor if it offers a truly non-compromise experience. But somehow every brand releases products that seem very close to perfect but then have some very bad oversights that completely ruin it for many people. (Kinda like the Samsung G7, which would be a great monitor but so many people are steered away because of the ridiculous curve) Gonna skip this one aswell and await the response from Asus's competitors. Maybe they can offer a more complete package. I simply don't want to make any compromise at all when spending so much on a monitor alone...

In the next month or two this monitor will get released for a whopping $3500. It's (to my knowledge) the first G-Sync Ultimate HDR1400 monitor that also has a 144Hz refresh rate with DSC, thus probably taking the crown for "the ultimate gaming monitor".

This monitor probably includes the most complete feature-set of any monitor currently on the market or announced.

4k / 144Hz / HDR1400 / 1152 Zone miniLED backlight / DSC (no chroma subsampling) / 32" / IPS / etc.

I'm curious:

- Anyone here that already decided to get one?

- What is the price you'd be willing to pay for a high-end HDR1400 experience?

I didn't yet decide for myself. But i'm thinking of selling my LG 27GN950 and LG C9 OLED, adding a couple hundred (or more, lol) and getting one myself. (of course only after seeing proper third-party reviews confirming it's performance)

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

13 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

In the next month or two this monitor will get released for a whopping $3500. It's (to my knowledge) the first G-Sync Ultimate HDR1400 monitor that also has a 144Hz refresh rate, thus probably taking the crown for "the ultimate gaming monitor".

This monitor probably includes the most complete feature-set of any monitor currently on the market or announced.

4k / 144Hz / HDR1400 / 1152 Zone miniLED backlight / DSC (no chroma subsampling) / 32" / IPS / etc.

I'm curious:

- Anyone here that already decided to get one?

- What is the price you'd be willing to pay for a high-end HDR1400 experience?

I didn't yet decide for myself. But i'm thinking of selling my LG 27GN950 and LG C9 OLED, adding a couple hundred (or more, lol) and getting one myself. (of course only after seeing proper third-party reviews confirming it's performance)

There's ghosting in the german review at 144hz so it's really 120. 

There's also the pa27ucg  but that one is hdmi 2.1 freesync only (gonna need a current gen gpu) and i assume it'll be more expensive, the original rumored price was 7k.

I have the PA272w (barely does 60hz, with ghosting) and the colors do look considerably better than the x27, the proart will be the first 4k 120hz professional monitor ever, hyped.

So if you can, look at both, and make sure the colors on the 32ucg doesn't completely dumpster the uqx first. If i really can't find a gpu and all i see is the uqx in stock, i might get it.

The ucg made things really interesting, nothing's set in stone yet

https://www.asus.com/us/Displays-Desktops/Monitors/ProArt/ProArt-Display-PA32UCG/

Would have prefer 27inch but that's a personal preference + we got that last gen.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

3 hours ago, xg32 said:

There's ghosting in the german review at 144hz so it's really 120. 

There's also the pa27ucg  but that one is hdmi 2.1 freesync only (gonna need a current gen gpu) and i assume it'll be more expensive, the original rumored price was 7k.

I have the PA272w (barely does 60hz, with ghosting) and the colors do look considerably better than the x27, the proart will be the first 4k 120hz professional monitor ever, hyped.

So if you can, look at both, and make sure the colors on the 32ucg doesn't completely dumpster the uqx first. If i really can't find a gpu and all i see is the uqx in stock, i might get it.

The ucg made things really interesting, nothing's set in stone yet

https://www.asus.com/us/Displays-Desktops/Monitors/ProArt/ProArt-Display-PA32UCG/

Would have prefer 27inch but that's a personal preference + we got that last gen.

Yeah i've read the german review already. But all in all still seems like a great product with an even bigger price. I'm gonna wait until i can maybe get some reviews from Hardware Unboxed and RTings in too.

Problem with the ProArt monitors is the price. They still seem to be about twice as expensive.

A nice bonus however is that these ProArt displays also support Dolby Vision and HLG in addition to HDR10.

Current gen GPU is not a problem. I have had a 3080 since september. HDMI dependability is something i would really dislike. I'm still trying to get my LG C9 OLED to properly work with HDMI 2.1 and my 3080. It's just a shitshow with one issue arising after the other.

10 hours ago, Piecku said:

I kind of want it just because everything else is trash in comparison. But I really don't like the dimming zones because that just creates ugly halo effects around things (especially text). And to be honest I wish they made a 27 inch version instead of a 31.5 inch. What I'm afraid of is buying it only to have an OLED gaming monitor pop up in ~1 year or so. I would much rather spend $3000 on that than on this "perfect" monitor.

How much of these Halos will be visible in reality depends on how aggressive the backlight will function. Some TV manufacturers managed to make the halos almost invisible even with 100 zone backlights, etc. Yeah the thing about the OLED is also true, but what stops you from selling this monitor and buying the OLED when it comes out? Monitors like these normally don't lose value quickly and they have a big market. You'll probably have many small studios getting into HDR grading that want something like this from the 2nd hand market.

Altough i quite enjoy my 27" 4K monitor that i currently have, i'd rather have 32" with 4K. The extra size would allow to use less scaling and thus give more screen real estate. Right now i have to use 150% scaling to be able to properly use my monitor. 125% or even 100% is just so small that it makes stuff barely readable.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

@Piecku @xg32

Nvm, just saw the video review from optimum tech:

TLDW:

Pros

- HDR really is impressive and unlike any other current monitor

- finally a 4K 144Hz 32" monitor

Cons

- Response times look like from mid-range VA monitors

- No HDMI 2.1 (not a dealbreaker for me but i'd say for many people who also want their console to fully utilize this monitor)

- Clear purple/magenta lines in between the backlight zones when 2 zones show something white, like for example your browser (seriously, why would anyone think this is ok in a product like this)

- obiously price ($3000)

Maybe i was ready to really splurge on a a high-end monitor if it offers a truly non-compromise experience. But somehow every brand releases products that seem very close to perfect but then have some very bad oversights that completely ruin it for many people. (Kinda like the Samsung G7, which would be a great monitor but so many people are steered away because of the ridiculous curve) Gonna skip this one aswell and await the response from Asus's competitors. Maybe they can offer a more complete package. I simply don't want to make any compromise at all when spending so much on a monitor alone...

21 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Gonna skip this one a swell and await the response from Asus's competitors. Maybe they can offer a more complete package. I simply don't want to make any compromise at all when spending so much on a monitor alone...

You'll be waiting a while.  There's only one company making a panel like that at the moment, and that's AUO.  Any monitor that's built from that same panel (see: Acer X32, or the new ViewSonic planned for this summer) will have identical performance.  It's all down to the actual panel.

Set expectations accordingly.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

10 hours ago, jasonvp said:

You'll be waiting a while.  There's only one company making a panel like that at the moment, and that's AUO.  Any monitor that's built from that same panel (see: Acer X32, or the new ViewSonic planned for this summer) will have identical performance.  It's all down to the actual panel.

Set expectations accordingly.

Yeah i know most of the stuff is about the panel itself. But asus still has full conrol over features like including HDMI 2.1 for example. Maybe the competitors will offer a more complete package.

But somehow i'm happy that my urge to buy this died down. All in all i still have my 27GN950 which is awesome by itself and will still last me a long while if i want to keep it. (Which is the plan atm.)

Still hoping LG or Samsung will come up with a 27" or 32" 4K 144/120Hz OLED monitor. That would be my absolute dream monitor. But OLED is only just coming to LG's first monitor, which is a 60Hz panel for professionals. 😞

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

Yeah i know most of the stuff is about the panel itself. But asus still has full conrol over features like including HDMI 2.1 for example.

And that's incorrect thinking.  The panel is set to support GSync ultimate (ie with the controller chip).  That tech does not support HDMI.  Only DisplayPort.  So no addition of HDMI 2.1 will happen.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

2 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

this is definitely not there in the older monitors, i'm trying to think if it's even usable (it's probably something most are willing to put up with), but it's definitely worse than just the white glow alone, could be a deal killer. No HDMI and response time is whatever (all about 4k/120 with colors)

Also. noisy fans are back, can't get around the gsync module.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

6 hours ago, jasonvp said:

And that's incorrect thinking.  The panel is set to support GSync ultimate (ie with the controller chip).  That tech does not support HDMI.  Only DisplayPort.  So no addition of HDMI 2.1 will happen.

That has nothing to do with the panel they chose, but the older G-Sync module they chose. AUO doesn't supply the G-Sync module and it's not needed for the panel to work. Asus made the choice to go with this particular G-Sync module that doesn't allow for HDMI 2.1. That doesn't mean their competitors will do the same. There have been plenty of monitors in the past where they use the same panel and then some decide to build in a G-Sync module while others decide to just build in FreeSync support.

Asus could have made the decision to ditch the hardware G-Sync module and make this a FreeSync monitor to go around the limitations that module introduced.

Also i don't expect to get G-Sync over HDMI 2.1. G-Sync is only relevant on PC, so i don't care if i have to use DP. But for VRR to work on consoles you can't use DP and need HDMI. As this is only HDMI 2.0b it will be limited to 4K 60Hz 4:2:2 when it's being used on consoles, which is a bad decision imo from Asus.

Also one thing i forgot to mention in my last post, which is also a huge no-no for me: The panel needs active cooling and actually can be louder than a SFF PC.

I was interested in it, since while I'm enjoying my 27GN950 so far I think that 32" will be a better option for 4k and I'd have considered upgrading, but between the fan noise and price I definitely wont be picking it up. Particularly with a potential 42" LG OLED panel coming out in the near future (although that would likely require HDMI 2.1 and I have no idea when I'll be able to source a GPU that supports that).

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

13 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Gonna skip this one aswell and await the response from Asus's competitors. Maybe they can offer a more complete package.

That wouldn't be the first time that happened, the PG27UQ had to use 4:2:2 chroma subsampling instead of 4:4:4 and it also had a noisy fan.
Both features that were fixed by other companies. It seems like Asus' strategy, at least with monitors, has been to be able to yell 'FIRST' but ultimately make flawed products.

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

11 minutes ago, Amaranth said:

Particularly with a potential 42" LG OLED panel coming out in the near future (although that would likely require HDMI 2.1 and I have no idea when I'll be able to source a GPU that supports that).

HDMI 2.1 won't be an issue for me as i have a 3080 and it's been firing up my 55" C9 OLED @4K 120Hz now and then. But 42" is imo still way too big for a monitor.

If they introduce a new size every generation we'll have 42" this gen and then maybe 32" in the next gen C2 TV's 🤔 (hopeful thinking)

That would be what i'd be glad to invest in.

Idk what's taking them so long to get there though. They have the tech and i bet there are plenty of people out there who'd gladly take a 32" 4K 120Hz OLED TV as a monitor.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2021 at 10:53 AM, Stahlmann said:

HDMI 2.1 won't be an issue for me as i have a 3080 and it's been firing up my 55" C9 OLED @4K 120Hz now and then. But 42" is imo still way too big for a monitor.

If they introduce a new size every generation we'll have 42" this gen and then maybe 32" in the next gen C2 TV's 🤔 (hopeful thinking)

That would be what i'd be glad to invest in.

Idk what's taking them so long to get there though. They have the tech and i bet there are plenty of people out there who'd gladly take a 32" 4K 120Hz OLED TV as a monitor.

As much as we all we wish for that we are a small group. LG will never make a TV smaller than 42 inches because no one will buy a TV below that. Let's just hope LG gaming can make some oleds.

6 hours ago, Smackaroy said:

As much as we all we wish for that we are a small group. LG will never make a TV smaller than 42 inches because no one will buy a TV below that. Let's just hope LG gaming can make some oleds.

I don't remember where i read it, but it seems like LG is planning on more OLED displays between 42" and 27". It remains to be seen how many (if any) of these will be gaming models.