Ubuntu 21.04 released! Active Directory Integration by default!

Guest willies leg
4 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Also, years ago already.

Not even years, they removed it six months after the release that included the amazon lens. 

Tbh one of the things I miss from unity are the lenses

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

21 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

I mean with CentOS dead as of December, I'm glad to see other Distros stepping up their enterprise game.

What. RedHat is still a thing i manage and admin every day and it is basically the enterprise paid for version of CentOS. 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, HomeBoi said:

and it is basically the enterprise paid for version of CentOS.

So it's not CentOS and the point stands.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

So it's not CentOS and the point stands.

Well in my world enterprise, which was the functionality mentioned that made centOS interesting for peeps I guess, means paid functionality. And if RH = COS i don't see the issue. I know COS was good but c'mon.

@WolframaticAlpha, several of your posts have been merged. Please use Multiquote to avoid triple and quadruple posting. (Same goes to you @leadeater)

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

34 minutes ago, HomeBoi said:

Well in my world enterprise, which was the functionality mentioned that made centOS interesting for peeps I guess, means paid functionality. And if RH = COS i don't see the issue. I know COS was good but c'mon.

Well I mean one of the points to going with RHEL is the actual support you get with it, and the support tools installed with the OS to generate support bundles to upload when making a support case. Then there is all the documentation they provide. Then the supporting management products like Red Hat Satellite, or ready to roll solutions like Red Hat Storage Server.

Other than the support you can do basically everything yourself but what attracts businesses to such products and support models is is the known and verified best practice configurations and a company willing to actually stand behind it, it's a trust thing.

These things and others like it might seem rather minor to many but to people like us that have to support more than just a few VMs/OS's and a wide array of applications anything that makes our life easier, lessens deployment and support time and decreases fault resolution time is simply worth the money.

Nothing in life is free, your time is worth something so never discount and devalue that.

5 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Well I did put compare that to arch in there, so....

You do know that Arch is following some steps that ubuntu took? As an example, they'll be enabling LTO which is the default on ubuntu now.

5 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Overall, pop and mint are much better. But Ubuntu is ok.

Those 3 are pretty much the same thing with some minor default settings differences and their own repos.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

15 hours ago, anodos said:

At work we use Puppet for managing updates across >10,000 servers. We maintain our own package repos so we can make sure we're only installing tested versions of various packages. It works pretty well, and I can't recall too many times when it broke anything.

puppet kind of like ansible? Seems like a whole automation platform type of thing

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

11 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Well, Ubuntu embeds ads in some terminal tools and serves up user data to amazon

The first one i guess refers to the link in motd, sorry to burst your bubbles but those are ubuntu wiki/blog links ran through a shortener. Not much of an ad if you ask me. The second allegation is ancient and not the case anymore AFAIK.

On 4/24/2021 at 5:56 AM, bcredeur97 said:

puppet kind of like ansible? Seems like a whole automation platform type of thing

Puppet has an agent you install and does regular check-ins to make sure it is compliant with the configuration baseline. Ansible has no agent and is a push configuration model, can the scheduled/automated, but is targeting a different purpose.

Puppet is great for application management i.e. JVM maximum memory, application log configuration settings, application configuration in general, what applications and which version should be installed.

Ansible is great for deployment and configuration i.e. Standardized OS or configuring a network switch port.

Canonical didn't build the AD integration, SAMBA has had the ability to both join a domain and act as a domain controller for a fairly long time now, it just ships disabled by default and IIRC had a few limitations over a Windows Server ADDC.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Canonical didn't build the AD integration, SAMBA has had the ability to both join a domain and act as a domain controller for a fairly long time now, it just ships disabled by default and IIRC had a few limitations over a Windows Server ADDC.

Yep, it's just really nice that it's an install time option now with the configuration guided. Are we sure it's SAMBA/Winbind though? We use SSSD for AD authentication on our RHEL and Ubuntu servers not SAMBA.

Edit:

It's seems like it most likely realmd which configures all of the above mentioned.

8 hours ago, leadeater said:

Yep, it's just really nice that it's an install time option now with the configuration guided. Are we sure it's SAMBA/Winbind though? We use SSSD for AD authentication on our RHEL and Ubuntu servers not SAMBA.

Edit:

It's seems like it most likely realmd which configures all of the above mentioned.

TBF, SSSD would make more sense than SAMBA. I'll be honest though and admit, I wasn't aware that SSSD had that ability at all (I'm aware of SSSD but have never played with it) and I assumed SAMBA since SAMBA is included in a standard install OOTB.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Cannonical has built something specific to Ubuntu/Ubiquiti, they've been getting a fair bit of flack recently for this type of behaviour but even then, it will still be a fork of some existing project.

My Ubuntu server stays on LTS releases anyway but I might have a play with this in a VM. I wonder if the next LTS server release will include an option to act as an ADDC during installation? That would be cool. (Heres where you tell me you can install SSSD and do that already and I just didn't know about it 😄 )

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

14 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

(Heres where you tell me you can install SSSD and do that already and I just didn't know about it 😄

Nope, that's only SAMBA server.

Reason why I says it's most likely realmd

For example, realmd can easily configure:

PAM Stack
NSS Layer
Kerberos
SSSD
Winbind

And is simple as running

realm join win.striker.local

And it's configured the above just like that, of course you can then customize the configuration of each of them after that etc. Unless I'm forgetting we don't use realmd but I'm thinking we should switch to using that instead of how we do it now.

On 4/23/2021 at 11:42 PM, jagdtigger said:

The first one i guess refers to the link in motd, sorry to burst your bubbles but those are ubuntu wiki/blog links ran through a shortener. Not much of an ad if you ask me. The second allegation is ancient and not the case anymore AFAIK.

Do you even read anything? I admitted to being an asshole. Can you shut up now? Let me have some peace?

Please read my further messages before commenting anything.

4 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

I admitted to being an asshole.

Nah, you weren't an asshole. Stubborn, yes, but that I can understand.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.