NVME on older motherboard

PinkMusen
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

The Asus card takes  - UP TO - 16 pci-e lanes and makes 4 groups of 4 pci-e lanes, and connects each group to a m.2 connector. 

This can work only if the motherboard and the bios support a feature called bifurcation.  If this feature is not supported, then the 3 other m.2 connectors simply won't work. 

Also, keep in mind that some pci-e slots only have 8 pci-e lanes, or even 4 pci-e lanes.  If this is the case, only 2 m.2 connectors will work (8 pci-e lanes are split in 2 groups of 4 lanes) or a single m.2 connector.

Hello, 

I should probably have made an introduction post first, however i usually do not hit the forums for issues as google handles my issues most of the time.

I have a pretty old motherboard a Asus Gryphon Z87 and i've put in a ASUS HYPER M.2 X16 CARD V2 to help handle storage, in this i put a 1TB samsung 970 EVO inside.

My question is as such, am i able to put another NVME drive in one of the 3 spare slots? or would i need to just buy a SATA SSD instead ? (i do not have any spare PCIE slots due to graphics card also takes up a few slots (2070 Super).

hugs Kristine

The Asus card takes  - UP TO - 16 pci-e lanes and makes 4 groups of 4 pci-e lanes, and connects each group to a m.2 connector. 

This can work only if the motherboard and the bios support a feature called bifurcation.  If this feature is not supported, then the 3 other m.2 connectors simply won't work. 

Also, keep in mind that some pci-e slots only have 8 pci-e lanes, or even 4 pci-e lanes.  If this is the case, only 2 m.2 connectors will work (8 pci-e lanes are split in 2 groups of 4 lanes) or a single m.2 connector.

I highly doubt my motherboard supports bifurcation, I was afraid of that, however i needed to be sure as i'd ofcource prefer an NVME drive 🙂

I'll get a SATA drive instead 🙂 thank you for your time 🙂

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

i'll try and google for a bios 🙂 

2 hours ago, asquirrel said:

Nope. What I said originally was wrong. Your answer is here:

https://old.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/81za40/pcie_bifurcation_multiple_ssd_in_pcie_x16_slot/

Basically, you need to mod your BIOS or get a new motherboard. Only the first NVMe slot on that card will work with your motherboard.