Land Rover/Jaguar stop production of cars due to chip shortage

tomleechrisp
14 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Its their own fault for not having put in a larger order - that seems to be the main problem all car makers with chip shortages have in common. They were going off pre-covid trends+data, and didn't order enough. Meaning that they have to wait for their chips to get assigned more production capacity.

Yeah.  Executives screw up and line workers are the ones that get screwed.  This also happened in the 70’s in Detroit.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

18 hours ago, Brinith said:

But its not. Chip production hasn't fallen much at all, in fact companies like TMSC have ramped up production during the pandemic. It's the increased demand of people staying at home that people didn't foresee (at least not with the lead times you need to ramp up factories) causing the shortage. 

What are you talking about? There has been a clear supply issue. I mean if you look at the numbers of gpus shipped you would see that clearly this isn't a simple demand issue. Has excessive demand made it worse? Absolutely but to believe that there isn't a supply issue as well is simply wrong. 

3 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

What are you talking about? There has been a clear supply issue. I mean if you look at the numbers of gpus shipped you would see that clearly this isn't a simple demand issue. Has excessive demand made it worse? Absolutely but to believe that there isn't a supply issue as well is simply wrong. 

With the car companies I understand the problem is the executives called pandemic demand wrong.  They reduced orders, and other companies bought the fab time, so when they tried to change the orders back they couldn’t. So a factory shuts down.  There may be more

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 4/22/2021 at 8:59 AM, tomleechrisp said:

Obviously, everyone knows that their is a chip shortage right now affecting lots of things, mainly computer parts, but now since its been going on for so long with no big change to increase production, other industeries are being hit harder, like car manafacuring. Jaguar Land Rover is closing its two UK factories and stopping production of all cars,

Its really bad when car companies have to stop production, perhaps the factories didn't order enough parts but it still really sucks for the workers.

On 4/22/2021 at 8:59 AM, tomleechrisp said:

Vauxhall is changing parts of its modern cars from digital to old fashion analoge,

Thats a good thing IMO, I don't understand why car companies are obsessed with replacing gauges with a screen, or the buttons and switches for the radio and climate control with screens, it's probably due to cost, but I'd rather have buttons and switches because it doesn't require taking your eyes off the road to touch the infotainment screen.

Looking at a completely different but faster acting shortage which may or may not provide clues, apparently distributors are buying inventory back from retailers.  Kind of weird.

On 4/22/2021 at 9:16 PM, WolframaticAlpha said:

Oh Elon is a charlatan.

Pls dont kill me

Not to kill you, everyone has an opinion. Just note that he kinda created PayPal, Tesla, SpaceX and a few more companies