Land Rover/Jaguar stop production of cars due to chip shortage

tomleechrisp

Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) is shutting its two main car factories temporarily due to a shortage of computer chips

Obviously, everyone knows that their is a chip shortage right now affecting lots of things, mainly computer parts, but now since its been going on for so long with no big change to increase production, other industeries are being hit harder, like car manafacuring. Jaguar Land Rover is closing its two UK factories and stopping production of all cars, Vauxhall is changing parts of its modern cars from digital to old fashion analoge, and other brands like GM and VW have also suspended production recently. While AMD and Nvidia can keep making their cards, other industries cant slow production, its either all or nothing and so have stopped everything. Imagine if during all this Nvidia or AMD or Intel just said 'yeah we're running low on chips, so we're not gonna make anything at all for the foreseeable future'

Quotes

"The difficulties at Britain's biggest carmaker echo similar problems at other manufacturers, including Ford, who have been hit by a global shortage of chips. JLR said there would be a "limited period" of closure at its Halewood and Castle Bromwich sites from Monday."

"Stellantis, which owns the UK Vauxhall brand, said it would replace digital speedometers with more old-fashioned analogue ones in one of its Peugeot models"

"Daimler, General Motors and Volkswagen have all suspended production lines at various times in recent weeks."

Sources

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56841946

Thought this was interesting from the same articel

Stellantis, which owns the UK Vauxhall brand, said it would replace digital speedometers with more old-fashioned analogue ones in one of its Peugeot models, as the fallout continues.

Wonder if more will follow suit, cutting down on the electronics as much as possible

3 minutes ago, PeachGr said:

Elon against the lockdown said:

"Is people stop go to work and produce things, we'll not have things" sounds so simple and stupid, but it's so true!

Oh Elon is a charlatan.

Pls dont kill me

12 minutes ago, PeachGr said:

Elon against the lockdown said:

"Is people stop go to work and produce things, we'll not have things" sounds so simple and stupid, but it's so true!

But its not. Chip production hasn't fallen much at all, in fact companies like TMSC have ramped up production during the pandemic. It's the increased demand of people staying at home that people didn't foresee (at least not with the lead times you need to ramp up factories) causing the shortage. 

All because of those damn miners

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

30 minutes ago, Brinith said:

But its not. Chip production hasn't fallen much at all, in fact companies like TMSC have ramped up production during the pandemic. It's the increased demand of people staying at home that people didn't foresee (at least not with the lead times you need to ramp up factories) causing the shortage. 

This along with other factors which havent came at the right time, including fires at semiconductor factories

There has also been a fire at a Japanese company, part of Renesas Electronics, one of the world's biggest makers of semiconductors for the car industry.

This is quite bad to hear, but they will get over it over the long term. I believe it can happen to many car manufacturers, it's really how their working practices and personnel is laid out. Some car models for example the new Mercedes S-Class heavily rely on tech, but they can charge a high premium over it. People are prepared to pay for the niche, however for the mass production it is harder not to completely raise the costs of the vehicle just because of tech. They have to save on costs in some areas.

working for the car industry its a crazy time right now, most people inventory is not even half of what it usually is but at the same time people are buying cars more then ever right now, that's why the average price of a car has risen 8 percent over all.

I want car seats to detect farts and alter the RGB lights around the interior to the vibration of your deliverance. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

They need to make their own chips. 

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

Volkswagen is supposedly going to cease production next week... temporarily. 

KIA in May. 

(in central Europe) 

6 hours ago, tomleechrisp said:

Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) is shutting its two main car factories temporarily due to a shortage of computer chips

Quotes

My thoughts

The chip shortage has slowed many things down in the world, like trying to buy a graphics card, but now two of the largest car plants in the UK are closing completly due to the shortage. Its now becoming evidant how hard this shortage is hitting many diffrent industries and how much we rely on them.

Sources

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56841946

O.O.
I had no idea it was that bad. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Carmakers feeling the squeeze now.

It seems like a totally different level of squeeze.  GPUs are still coming out, it’s merely that demand exceeds supply and this is having reprocussions.  This is more like say MSI saying “sorry.  No more GPUs AT ALL.”

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Its their own fault for not having put in a larger order - that seems to be the main problem all car makers with chip shortages have in common. They were going off pre-covid trends+data, and didn't order enough. Meaning that they have to wait for their chips to get assigned more production capacity.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

We don't need micro chips to make cars run, we just need to go back having points ignition and carburetors.

11 hours ago, tomleechrisp said:

Vauxhall is changing parts of its modern cars from digital to old fashion analoge

The way it should be, don't fix what works and works well. Also, while they're at it, forget installing a BCM (Body Control Module), just have the power windows, wipers, door locks, all exterior lighting, power mirrors, power seats and heated seats function the they use to in the past, you know, without a BCM.    

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

7 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Its their own fault for not having put in a larger order - that seems to be the main problem all car makers with chip shortages have in common. They were going off pre-covid trends+data, and didn't order enough. Meaning that they have to wait for their chips to get assigned more production capacity.

while that's a "logical" conclusion,  who tells you this would even have been possible?  Chip contingent has been limited before the whole covid thing already, it just wasn't as severe,  but i doubt you could have just ordered "twice" nilly willy,  the factory probably would have gone "sorry, nope, reserved for apple™!"

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

30 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

while that's a "logical" conclusion,  who tells you this would even have been possible?  Chip contingent has been limited before the whole covid thing already, it just wasn't as severe,  but i doubt you could have just ordered "twice" nilly willy,  the factory probably would have gone "sorry, nope, reserved for apple™!"

That's why they need to wait now. They didn't order enough>production that they could have reserved went to other companies>they are SOL until more production is available.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

8 hours ago, Tieox said:

I want car seats to detect farts and alter the RGB lights around the interior to the vibration of your deliverance. 

... ... noted... ... you got a reason why though?

✨FNIGE✨

So... Can I get a car without infotainment, that feels good and fun to drive without it costing an arm and a leg?

Thinking about something similar to a Lancia Delta Integrale

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

yes, just not a *new* car ... the new ones will all still be heavy and sluggish af .

"15k"  gets you this  marvel for example

Spoiler

721119113_Screenshot_20210423-080455_SamsungInternetBeta.thumb.jpg.7a5884f3d71e2a04bc3e5f492d38f400.jpg

👍

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

15 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Oh Elon is a charlatan.

Pls dont kill me

I surprisingly didn't get that much opposition from Muskrats when I criticized Elon so you'll probably be fine too. Although my wording was much nicer than calling Musk a fraud even tho he very much is one.

19 hours ago, Albi368 said:

Thought this was interesting from the same articel

Wonder if more will follow suit, cutting down on the electronics as much as possible

My car decided (on its own)  to cut down on electronics after it was made. 

Honestly,

I think the car manufacturers should take a step back and consider making certain parts end-user/field replaceable. If this electronics shortage continues, or more problems in the supply chain happen, there will be ripples in the logistics again, maybe next time it will be the fuel injection system.

Now, historically, cars are a lot easier to fix, but sourcing the parts has always been "get from a wreck", because the OEM won't sell you the parts. Not unlike laptop PC and Dell/HP's in that regard. 

So if car manufacturers could standardize on the parts they are having a shortage of, the manufacturers of those parts could, y'know make more of them in bulk that they all can use rather than this one widget that only works in *BRAND* 's cars.

Like the Speedometer/tach/gear-shifter should always be analog or low-tech digital on a car. It can be supplemented with digital numbers and symbols in the dashboard console, but the last thing you need is being pulled over by a cop for "Speeding" and you just didn't realize you were because the console wasn't showing it in a way to get your attention. Like cars in the 80's had digital speedometers that were just a large two-digit 7-segment display in some models and analog in others. What happens when the light burns out? Well those LED segment displays can be replaced if you are adept at soldering. 

Like I distinctly remember the lights failing to work in the radio in the 80's car, but in order to fix it, I had to go through the front of the radio display, so that fixed the light, but moisture then started to cause the back of the LCD to peel off, eventually making the display lose segments. 

On the flip side, if you are someone who wants to buy a Luxury car, and you buy a car during a shortage, you're being short-changed of luxury features. Like the difference between the "luxury" model and the mass-market model of the same vehicle has always been about premium features. There is an entire counterfeit market out there that rebadges mass-market models into luxury models by using after-market modifications.