USB-C docking station w/ 4K for chrome book

HerrKaLeu

I already had 2 of the cheaper Aukey hubs to connect my daughter's Chromebook to an external monitor, mouse, keyboard and CAT. Both of them had some issues (sometimes flickering, sometimes no network). I'm just done with cheap crap and she needs it for school. 

From work I have one of the fancy Dell hubs (that also has Displayport) I lent her when she had a meltdown due to no hub function. This works perfectly. Bulky, and expensive, but works. But that is obviously not mine. 

So do I need to buy such expensive Dell et al device, or is there a medium option that is smaller and less expensive, but reliable? it really only needs to have 4K HDMI, 2 USB, network plug, and power throughput for a 100W power supply (I think the Chromebook is rated to 90W). 

Exactly what functionality are you looking for?  A USB C Hub?  Or a full Docking station?  

You're not being terribly clear about what she's after. 

22 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Exactly what functionality are you looking for?  A USB C Hub?  Or a full Docking station?  

You're not being terribly clear about what she's after. 

Common today are USB-C hubs that have HDMI out, USB ports, Ethernet and sometimes even power for USB-C PD. Docking stations from decades are are a thing of the past and are basically all-in-one USB-C hubs these days. 

@HerrKaLeuwhich Dell model did you have? This seems to do the job.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-USB-C-Mobile-Adapter-DA300/dp/B079MDQDP4

I'm sorry, I should have called it "docking station" or some thing similar.

this is the last one i bought (and will return)

what is it supposed to do:

- connect to Chromebook via USB-C

- charge the CB

- at least two USB ports for keyboard and mouse

- one HDMI 4K port

- network cable port

- some sort of power supply (100W?). but i already have a 100W USB-C power supply if the docking station doesn't have one

there are hundreds of device... problem is, the cheap ones don't seem too reliable. nut sure if that is a problem of them being cheap, or size (cooling). 

47 minutes ago, rickeo said:

Common today are USB-C hubs that have HDMI out, USB ports, Ethernet and sometimes even power for USB-C PD. Docking stations from decades are are a thing of the past and are basically all-in-one USB-C hubs these days. 

@HerrKaLeuwhich Dell model did you have? This seems to do the job.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-USB-C-Mobile-Adapter-DA300/dp/B079MDQDP4

this only seems to have one USB port? and i didn't really see if it also powers the device?

the docking station I have from work is similar to this. So a really commercial type. I was hoping for something simpler and cheaper, but still usable and reliable. 

59 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Anker makes a very solid USB Hub / dock / products.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerExpand-Delivery-Ethernet-Chromebook/dp/B07PPGWQ15

Lenovo makes a very similar one to the Dell you're using:

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-USB-C-Dock-40AS0090US/dp/B081S2DV6Z

Thanks. the anker says it has 48W power delivery (requires 60W). Would that be a problem when the chromebook tries to draw 90W (or whatever maximum rating it has)? My powersupply can provide 100W and that may damage the docking station. Or am i over-thinking this? 

5 minutes ago, HerrKaLeu said:

Thanks. the anker says it has 48W power delivery (requires 60W). Would that be a problem when the chromebook tries to draw 90W (or whatever maximum rating it has)? My powersupply can provide 100W and that may damage the docking station. Or am i over-thinking this? 

What chromebook do you have?  I would be surprised if it actually draws 100W.  I have laptops that are way more powerful than chromebooks, and use sub-100W adapters.

5 minutes ago, tkitch said:

What chromebook do you have?  I would be surprised if it actually draws 100W.  I have laptops that are way more powerful than chromebooks, and use sub-100W adapters.

it is a XE950QCA galaxy chromebook. On the back it says 65W input. When one connects a lower power supply, it will tell so and charge slower or not when in use. 48W probably fine, just want to avoid the CB trying to pull 65W, and the docking station heating up since it is rated to deliver 48W. 

Maybe I'm better off with the Lenovo. I already envision my daughter coming to me all the time because of the " insufficient power supply warning", even if it isn't serious 🙂

47 minutes ago, HerrKaLeu said:

it is a XE950QCA galaxy chromebook. On the back it says 65W input. When one connects a lower power supply, it will tell so and charge slower or not when in use. 48W probably fine, just want to avoid the CB trying to pull 65W, and the docking station heating up since it is rated to deliver 48W. 

Maybe I'm better off with the Lenovo. I already envision my daughter coming to me all the time because of the " insufficient power supply warning", even if it isn't serious 🙂

The Specs mention a 65W / 45W Adapter.  I suspect 48 would be fine, but the lenovo would probably just prevent any/all arguments from the kid

1 hour ago, tkitch said:

The Specs mention a 65W / 45W Adapter.  I suspect 48 would be fine, but the lenovo would probably just prevent any/all arguments from the kid

Thanks. 

another thing i didn't mention is i use a USB extension cable from the docking station to the Chromebook. the hub just comes with a few inches and that is not practical to have the cable clutter right next to the docking station . I actually mounted the dock behind the monitor. 

Could an extension like that cause the problems?

the Lenovo just has a male-male cable, so it is designed for a longer cable. but it is possible tit tiny docks are not designed for longer cables. My extension is only 3-4 ft. 

-> Moved to Peripherals

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Thanks, mod. should have posted there to begin with.

I ordered the Lenovo. I researched on the USB-C extension and it looked like the added length and connection reduces power. Probably why the small cheap devices only have the short cable, which I think is totally impractical. And since i already had 2 of the "cheaper" docks with he short cord requiring extension, there is a chance this is at least part of the problem. 

Thanks to all who chimed in.

I got the Lenovo. For about 4 seconds the external monitor works and the chrome book display settings show the 2 displays. After that, no external monitor signal and the display settings don't show the external monitor. I tried 2 different USB-C cables with the same result. 

I put the Dell docking station back and it has a stable external monitor signal along with the 2 displays (internal and external) shown in the display settings.

So there must be some compatibility issue with the docking station, or it is faulty. I have the feeling something else is wrong.

The Dell docking station is maybe 2 years old and works fine, so it couldn't be a need for a new firmware (if they even can be upgraded).  I find it hard to believe the problem is with the Chromebook or monitor since both work fine with the Dell docking station and i assume the CB updates automatically. 

What else can I try? 

Edit: The Dell docking station I have (from work - not mine) is the D6000. I'm almost desperate enough to buy that since that seems to work. But there must be a better way to hook up a chrome book to a monitor reliably and I think I'm doing something wrong.