Possible RAM Leak from Razer drivers

DPS100
Go to solution Solved by DPS100,
On 4/21/2021 at 9:47 PM, DPS100 said:

I've disabled windows update and will check in a week if it's still leaking

Found a (possible) fix! After about a week, my memory was back up to 70%. I saw on some forums that Razer drivers are known to cause memory leaks. Sorting processes by non paged pool, I found RzKLservice.exe had an enormous non-paged pool of nearly 4GB. Ending this process cleared freed up about half of in-use memory while I'm working on my computer. At this point I'm going to uninstall Razer drivers from my computer.

Forum also finding Razer drivers leaking memory

image.thumb.png.b73be2521e80957c2073f142fcbcd9e8.png

Over the past months, I've had issues with my computer running low on available RAM and slowly becoming more sluggish as time passes (a period of days to weeks). A temporary fix is to restart my computer, which lowers the used RAM to a level that I think is more normal. I replaced an old set of RAM a while ago because of issues with an entire stick being reserved for hardware (not sure what the issue was, but using a new set seemed to fix that issue). Additionally I updated my drivers about a month ago because of audio driver failures, but some of the front USB ports aren't recognized (has been known a problem ever since I got the computer, wasn't able to fix it then). I'm not sure what is causing high RAM usage, but I poked around online today and from what I can see I probably have a memory leak. Using a program that finds zombie processes revealed that a Razer driver was holding ~4000 handles, but ending that process did not fix the problem; however it did release all the zombie handles. The last time I did Windows Memory Diagnostic (few months back, high RAM issue had already been occurring) it revealed nothing of note. I saw somewhere that handle count should be 10-20 thousand, so this looks off to me. Any insight on how to troubleshoot this would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I originally made this post under the assumption that I had a handle leak, but it sounds like that is not an issue in this case

Memory after leaving computer on for a week

Memory usage after leaving computer on for a week

CPU after leaving computer on for a week

image.thumb.png.922e3efb899b453f5fcfc01bb049c5f7.png

User memory usage after leaving computer on for a week

image.png.462ae8e8a3cf0d4af5f01f00b66a3ed9.png

Process explorer after leaving computer on for a week

image.png.12229c4185b251634f50492f318e0a84.png

Memory after restart

image.thumb.png.ba4b3cb912424da6c7401c8cbf07c364.png

CPU after restart

image.thumb.png.18a74eab75b667448390fed4c408bb41.png

(User memory is roughly equal)

Process explorer after restart

image.png.dedd0b102dfeff324fc80a1b92387163.png

It's difficult to look at all the parts since I use a remote desktop (won't be able to access physically for another few days), but here are the parts I have written down :

System: HP ENVY 700-406

Motherboard: MS-7906 (stock, Orchid-S)

OS: 64 bit Windows 10 (Updated 30 mins before post, did a clean install half a year ago)

Bios: Not sure, last time I tried to update bios I could not for the life of me find a new one since the manufacturer no longer has this MoBo listed

Processor: AMD Athlon X4 880K

Graphics card: AMD Radeon RX 560-B

Boot drive: 112 GB SSD (Not sure of brand)

Hard drive: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

Memory: 2x8 GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance DDR3

This obviously isn't a top of the line computer, but it works for what I need it to do (light gaming, medium gaming on low settings, single threaded programming, light multithreaded programming). 

Edited by DPS100
Added last update time

100,000 handles is like, pretty normal. My PC has been on for about 14 hours and has 105K. Handle count is not your issue. Your actual problem might stem from the fact that usocoreworker.exe is leaking a pretty damn good amount of RAM.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

3 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

100,000 handles is like, pretty normal. My PC has been on for about 14 hours and has 105K. Handle count is not your issue. Your actual problem might stem from the fact that usocoreworker.exe is leaking a pretty damn good amount of RAM.

Thanks, I'll change the title

2 minutes ago, DPS100 said:

Thanks, I'll change the title

Last time you run windows update? Ive seen a forum member solving the usocoreworker memory leak by updating windows. I dont know if disabling windows update would fix it as well, but worth a shot.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Just now, SorryClaire said:

Last time you run windows update? Ive seen a forum member solving the usocoreworker memory leak by updating windows. I dont know if disabling windows update would fix it as well, but worth a shot.

Just ran a windows update 30 mins ago to temp fix the high RAM usage

6 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

4 minutes ago, DPS100 said:

Just ran a windows update 30 mins ago to temp fix the high RAM usage

On 4/21/2021 at 9:47 PM, DPS100 said:

Found a (possible) fix! After about a week, my memory was back up to 70%. I saw on some forums that Razer drivers are known to cause memory leaks. Sorting processes by non paged pool, I found RzKLservice.exe had an enormous non-paged pool of nearly 4GB. Ending this process cleared freed up about half of in-use memory while I'm working on my computer. At this point I'm going to uninstall Razer drivers from my computer.

Forum also finding Razer drivers leaking memory

image.thumb.png.b73be2521e80957c2073f142fcbcd9e8.png