How will crypto currency be worth anything in war time?

Say war broke out and the major players (US, China, Russia, UK, Japan... etc) gets involved.  The first thing any side would do before using destructive weapons would be a cyber attack to digitally cripple the other side.  After that they will take down the power grid.  No network and no power so how can you barter then?  Printed money would likely plunge via hyper inflation.  You can still buy a bottle of water for $50 but your bitcoin is useless if you can't get to it.

most likely monetary value wont have any influence in society.

Instead people will use goods for services and services for goods or goods for goods WTT/WTS/WTB 😄

In any case, in a scenario like that Id go for creating my own coin as warcoin

I can tell you that the economy would freeze in such a scenario and nobody would care about the number of digits in your Bitcoin account, because in this scenario people would be struggling to survive and there would be riots if government doesn’t step in and even then there will be turmoil. People would want to buy Bitcoin for a safe investment, but more significantly people would also want to convert into local currencies so they can stock up on goods, devaluing crypto. But such a scenario is not likely enough to be with contemplating.

28 minutes ago, Doug_Dangger said:

You can still buy a bottle of water for $50

Most likely not, banknotes dont work when economy falls apart either.

only advantage with traditional currency is with using vending machines, banknotes as fuel and coins as scrap metal.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Most likely not, banknotes dont work when economy falls apart either.

only advantage with traditional currency is with using vending machines, banknotes as fuel and coins as scrap metal.

People in Germany were able to buy a loaf of bread for a wheelbarrow of money  😄

all these answers are assuming war time will be the same as it was in the past. in the context of now if war hit the west we have things like nuclear warheads now. We have drones , different planes, different type of marine craft, we have AI being developed, and many possibilities now with advanced computing. there's really no telling what becomes valuable or not. We may have an Idea Based on the places that recently went to war but you can see their money becomes virtually worthless as well.   crypto is valuable because we as humans put value into old world currency like how paper and our money with the bank that if I break it down is just a number tied to my name and I know that I have by going to an app on my phone that tells me how much liquid money I have 

20 minutes ago, anodos said:

Well, paper money won't be much use either, nor would credit cards, bank transfers, etc.

The currencies of a SHTF scenario are the same as they always have been throughout the ages: food, water, skills, and weapons.

Oh snap, I guess arts and ethnic studies majors are screwed.  LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally someone brought this up. Crypto would have a zero value, it is not a asset nor is it used for anything of substance. Crypto is a suckers bet that is why the creator of bitcoin is not known. In the end its a financial trap for the west for when war breaks out. Silver is where the smart long play would be.   

8 hours ago, DScience said:

Finally someone brought this up. Crypto would have a zero value, it is not a asset nor is it used for anything of substance. Crypto is a suckers bet that is why the creator of bitcoin is not known. In the end its a financial trap for the west for when war breaks out. Silver is where the smart long play would be.   

Well as has been brought up in the above responses a lot of things other than crypto will be worthless if war breaks out. Your silver only helps if 1) you own a physical bar, not an IOU and 2) you have means of trading with it that is not 1 bar == 1 loaf. If it gets bad enough you'll trade in whatever is useful to trade in and a can of soup might be infinitely more valuable than a chunk of silver.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB