Upgraded my PC now I have really bad audio....

RPGBraden1
Go to solution Solved by rice guru,

Sounds like you have an electrically noisy system. I would sell or return the soundcard and buy and external one that runs through either optical or usb This way your audio is isolated and not inside the noisy PC.

I'm new to the LTT forums so bear with me while I try to explain. My buddy was upgrading to a Ryzen based PC so he was selling his old parts to make some money back. I ended up buying his CPU, motherboard, and RAM combo for 300 bucks. Everything is fine with it except for the audio its sounds like some sort of TV static coming from the mobo, its not too loud but its really annoying with noise cancelling headphones. I ended up getting a soundcard thinking that that would be the end of it, but a few days later the static noise started to leak through again. I've tried messing with the drivers and re seating the soundcard, at this point I don't know what else to do to get clean audio out. If anyone knows what causes this or has any tips for what to try I am all ears. Thank you for reading my terrible writing and I'll post my hardware below this paragraph.

What I bought from my buddy:

I7 9700kf 

gigabyte z390 gaming x 

32GB of corsair 3200mhz ram 

the soundcard is a Sound Blaster Audigy FX.

Also I have a pair of BOSE qc25

Sounds like you have an electrically noisy system. I would sell or return the soundcard and buy and external one that runs through either optical or usb This way your audio is isolated and not inside the noisy PC.

8 hours ago, rice guru said:

any recommendations for one? 

1 minute ago, geo3 said:

Noise cancelling headphones should have their own dac/amp internally so it's unusual that it should be coming from the system. What headphones are they?>

they are Bose QC25 with a SoundBlaster Audigy fx. I have no clue how its getting through the soundcard but there is enough noise that its annoying when not actively playing music or gaming.

6 minutes ago, RPGBraden1 said:

they are Bose QC25 with a SoundBlaster Audigy fx. I have no clue how its getting through the soundcard but there is enough noise that its annoying when not actively playing music or gaming.

First isolate the problem. Try the headphones on a different audio source like a phone for example and also try different headphones on the same z390 port.

If it IS indeed the MB then as rice guru said, get an external dac/amp. 

Just now, geo3 said:

First isolate the problem. Try the headphones on a different audio source like a phone for example and also try different headphones on the same z390 port.

tried my Bose on my iPhone and they sound fine. I used my old Logitech headphones on my phone and motherboard and its def the board. So I will have to go with an external solution. Thankfully I can get a either a SoundBlaster g6 or a Fiio k3 overnighted to my house for free. 

8 minutes ago, geo3 said:

23 minutes ago, rice guru said:

A relatively cheap one that does what most people will need is a soundblaster g6

Thank you for the help y'all I really appreciate it. I've heard some good things about Fiio so I'll try getting a their K3 external dac. It should be more that good for my use case.