Retailers Price Gouging :(

Nick980

Was momentarily excited today when i spotted some 6700XT for sale at my local PC retailer, that quickly turned to sadness when I spotted they were charging similar prices to the eBay scalpers. Clearly going to be well toward Christmas before I can get my hands on a card. Retail price on AMD website is £411.60, Can't believe retailers are charging insane prices, AMD/Nvidia should refused to supply cards to them if this is the case

1622498926_Screenshot2021-04-21185231.thumb.png.65d8683700af8c3f3d49abbf680e01ad.png

3 minutes ago, Nick980 said:

believe retailers are charging insane prices,

Meh, common practice in many country retailers since ages ago

AMD/Nvidia should refused to supply cards to them if this is the case

Why, though?

Just don't buy it if you don't like the pricing

If it's MSRP, you wouldn't see it in stock

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

they have no reason to. sucks but thats how it is

Demand increases, stock decreases, price increases. Not that I think this is fair, but I can see why and how it's happened.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

If it's MSRP, you wouldn't see it in stock

First time they've had them in stock since launch, I check a lot

7 minutes ago, Nick980 said:

Those aren't OEM/founder's edition cards, so I don't think that the stores are getting them directly from AMD or Nvidia.

1 minute ago, Nick980 said:

First time they've had them in stock since launch, I check a lot

Honestly, the price will drop if no one buys it, if it's that price for a long time and they're moving products, clearly someone thinks it's worth it and are buying it

So

1) figure out why people are buying it and see if you can do the same

2) wait for the price to drop to your desirable level

3) just buy it at that price

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

That's not that bad, only around $200 above MSRP.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

That's Scan by the look of it, yeah? The sad thing is, they've been a really dependable source of competitively priced hardware for a long time, so I have to think that part of that price hike is also an indicator of the increased cost they're currently seeing just to get them in stock in the first place. I had what I thought was the good fortune to be able to get on their waiting list for a PNY 2060 back in early Feb, and that cost me nearly £370 for the pleasure. Still no sign of it of course, just a regular update of estimated dispatch date being pushed back to the end of month, and then the end of next month, etc. So it goes.

18 minutes ago, Abyssal Radon said:

Here in the states Newegg is doing the same thing. Honestly, while it’s kinda shitty of retailers to up charge their customer’s. I really can’t entirely fault them because this kind of behavior isn’t new by any means.

Newegg has quickly turned into a pile of hot garbage.  Too many 3rd party scammers. 

15 minutes ago, LeadMagnet said:

That's Scan by the look of it, yeah? The sad thing is, they've been a really dependable source of competitively priced hardware for a long time, so I have to think that part of that price hike is also an indicator of the increased cost they're currently seeing just to get them in stock in the first place. I had what I thought was the good fortune to be able to get on their waiting list for a PNY 2060 back in early Feb, and that cost me nearly £370 for the pleasure. Still no sign of it of course, just a regular update of estimated dispatch date being pushed back to the end of month, and then the end of next month, etc. So it goes.

Been shopping with Scan since I was a child (my dad used to take me, we had several of the mugs they used to have) Its not the first time they've done this

AMD dropped some of all of their cards today. On their site. At MSRP. The places here that I've seen Nvidia FE have all been right at MSRP. Don't like the AIB mark up? Move on.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

53 minutes ago, Nick980 said:

Can't believe retailers are charging insane prices,

So what retailers are not allowed to make money? I thought that was the whole point of opening a business, to make money. 

Here is what you gotta understand. Costs have gone up in all industries due to a pandemic. It costs more to ship and if you are in the US, the cost of labor is going up because there are not enough people to cover the jobs. The fact is retailers have to raise prices to cover these costs. Its exactly what the cable company does when broadcasters demand more money. 

Also this exact same thing happened in the last crypto currency boom. Retailers started raising prices, because Supply and Demand and all. Thats the other thing, you're not going to see too many MSRP cards until Crypto busts again. Bitcoin is like $60K a COIN, holy shit. That drives up the value of Crypto currencies like Ethernum which is currently GPU mineable.  Hell my boss bought in to Doge coin at like 5 cents and its gained in value quite a bit. What can I say, we live in a greedy society, every one wants to make their million or more, every one wants to live like those fat cats on Wall Street. Crypto seems to be the way they figure they can do it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Nick980 said:

Can't believe retailers are charging insane prices, AMD/Nvidia should refused to supply cards to them if this is the case

AMD or Nvidia have no reason not to, not when GPU's are money printers, and I think it sucks that retailers are price gouging, but at least you can buy a card in stock.

Newegg is doing a shuffle that you have to wait for, sign up and maybe if you're lucky you're picked to buy a card. Bestbuy sometimes gets cards in online only but you'll have to spam F5 and know when they'll drop, AMD's store also sells GPU's but you'll have to beat bots to get one.

Wholesalers have jacked their pricing too,  so the retail stores are just adding their margin and putting on a shelf.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

Atleast you can buy the cards by themselves. Most places here now forces you to buy a full build to get any card.

In Sweden they have set a cap on 2 card per household on it and the retailers are not allowed to force out higher prices then MSRP. Now I am in the US and I was buying parts in December to build my new computer, I bought motherboard, M.2, and ram. Problem was I did not expect to have to wait 3,5 months to get my hands on MSRP R5 5600X, tried to build it together last night, turns out that the mobo is not functioning and needs to get replaced. This will be a very interesting outcome, since it has never been used but I owned it for 4 months, let´s see what Gigabyte does.

@Nick980, please fix your title. The current one is misleading and factually wrong. This is not me asking as moderator, but as fellow member.

Price gouging is when someone is raising prices of essential goods such as food, medicine or hygiene products. Latest example being toilet paper, but more common being price of prescription medicine in US. GPUs are for most people luxury item. Only those who use them for work actually need them, and they have also more money to put into something they are making money with.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

14 hours ago, Nick980 said:

Was momentarily excited today when i spotted some 6700XT for sale at my local PC retailer, that quickly turned to sadness when I spotted they were charging similar prices to the eBay scalpers. Clearly going to be well toward Christmas before I can get my hands on a card. Retail price on AMD website is £411.60, Can't believe retailers are charging insane prices, AMD/Nvidia should refused to supply cards to them if this is the case

1622498926_Screenshot2021-04-21185231.thumb.png.65d8683700af8c3f3d49abbf680e01ad.png

If those prices hurt you try shopping in canada.

Newegg

image.thumb.png.f57c3c3e3d71a9b5aa8b1920ac1cfe4c.png

Canada Computers

image.thumb.png.4261d109f5e507f1a7b81738f01b218b.png

Memory Express

image.thumb.png.bae6f3b7c21021600a5900c7df1719ac.png

Best Buy

image.png.d9ca2fba579b04b172b85c303380044d.png

image.png.d12bba1bc571fd8d34f4c76222706497.png

So the retailers should sell for less than market value and allow the scalpers everybody hates to resell for a profit instead? 

MSRP is a suggested price. The manufacturer can't dictate what price retailers sell their goods at, this is actually illegal in many places. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

On 4/22/2021 at 7:21 PM, WillOfTheLand said:

If those prices hurt you try shopping in canada.

Newegg

image.thumb.png.f57c3c3e3d71a9b5aa8b1920ac1cfe4c.png

Canada Computers

image.thumb.png.4261d109f5e507f1a7b81738f01b218b.png

Memory Express

image.thumb.png.bae6f3b7c21021600a5900c7df1719ac.png

Best Buy

image.png.d9ca2fba579b04b172b85c303380044d.png

image.png.d12bba1bc571fd8d34f4c76222706497.png

i feel you, Australia has it just as bad right now

mmm yes prices.png

Best place to buy cards in the states is best buy which sells Nvidia founder cards at exact MSRP, that is if you can get one....

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Newegg in particular definitely is, and I'm not talking 3rd party sellers on the site.  The prices for their CPUs and GPUs are around $100 over retail in many cases.  

I was going to buy an i9-11900k they had in stock but they wanted $630 for it when it's $550 at other reputable retailers (when they're in stock).

It's sad when a huge retailer resorts to scalping during shortages.  

Scan are normally pretty good, got my 5900x from them last week for £540 (is £630 at Currys) though those do look like partner boards which are generally more expensive