Tile bashes Apple’s new AirTag as unfair competition. It will be asking Congress on Wednesday to take a closer look into Apple

edekb
Go to solution Solved by avg123,

Summary

Now that Apple’s lost item finder AirTag has officially been introduced, competitor Tile is going on record ahead of its testimony in front of Congress tomorrow about how it perceives Apple’s latest product. The company says it will be asking Congress on Wednesday to take a closer look into Apple’s business practices, and specifically its entry in this lost item tracking category.

Quotes

With AirTag, Apple is reproducing these capabilities, while also adding support for more precise ultra-wideband technology, integrating AirTag into its first-party “Find My” app, and leveraging its larger iPhone install base to help find missing items. This presents significant competition to Tile, which is not only expected to face off with Apple’s AirTag across Apple’s own devices, but also share a portion of its subscription revenues from in-app purchases with Apple thanks to App Store policies.

My thoughts

I think Tile has a point. I am always against Apple acting as a gate keeper between apps and their customer. Tile now not only has to compete with Apple but also has to give a part of their profit to Apple, their competitor as app store fees

Sources

Tile bashes Apple’s new AirTag as unfair competition | TechCrunch

Hi LTT.

What do you think about Apple's AirTag? During yesterday's conference, Apple presented AirTag. The device in the form of a small circle will be able to be attached almost anywhere. Additional accessories (key rings) will allow you to track the location of keys, bicycles or backpacks.

• CPU: Intel Core i5-10600KF Comet Lake 4,1 GHz s.1200
  • MOBO: MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK DDR4
  • GPU: GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER

I like it, but I wish it was $30 for 1 and $80 for 4 instead of $40 for 1 and $100 for 4.

I'd pay $30. I won't pay $40.

EDIT:
I guess they dropped the price.

Woo.

elephants

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

I like it, but I wish it was $30 for 1 and $80 for 4 instead of $40 for 1 and $100 for 4.

I'd pay $30. I won't pay $40.

image.png.cbf2ac2438eaef3a1f2c5fe81d684e4c.png

So it's basically Tile but more expensive and several years late to the market?

I don't get the hype around them.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

im more excited about the purple iphone. (yay)

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

It's neat I guess. I'd still probably find a way to lose shit that had them though.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Pleased with the announcement.

Tile was neat when it was one of the only games in town, but they shoved a lot of the functionality behind a subscription.

So to get feature parity with AirTags, you're paying more money.

45 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

So it's basically Tile but more expensive and several years late to the market?

I don't get the hype around them.

Tile has 4 different products each with their own set of features. Only some have replaceable batteries and only some are waterproof. Airtag combines them all into one at the same or lower price.

Tile only works with phones that have the Tile app installed. Airtag will work with every iphone in the world.

There is a reason why the Tile CEO was already talking about whining to congress 5 minutes after the announcement.

Summary

Now that Apple’s lost item finder AirTag has officially been introduced, competitor Tile is going on record ahead of its testimony in front of Congress tomorrow about how it perceives Apple’s latest product. The company says it will be asking Congress on Wednesday to take a closer look into Apple’s business practices, and specifically its entry in this lost item tracking category.

Quotes

With AirTag, Apple is reproducing these capabilities, while also adding support for more precise ultra-wideband technology, integrating AirTag into its first-party “Find My” app, and leveraging its larger iPhone install base to help find missing items. This presents significant competition to Tile, which is not only expected to face off with Apple’s AirTag across Apple’s own devices, but also share a portion of its subscription revenues from in-app purchases with Apple thanks to App Store policies.

My thoughts

I think Tile has a point. I am always against Apple acting as a gate keeper between apps and their customer. Tile now not only has to compete with Apple but also has to give a part of their profit to Apple, their competitor as app store fees

Sources

Tile bashes Apple’s new AirTag as unfair competition | TechCrunch

When the person you pay to be available on the store releases a copy of your product it's definitely grounds for a legal challenge.

Level 2 Tech Support for a Corporation servicing over 12,000 users and devices, AMA

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 5800x3D | GPU: Sapphire 6900 XT Nitro+ SE | Mobo: Asus x570 TUF | RAM: 32GB CL15 3600 | PSU: EVGA 850 GA | Case: Corsair 450D | Storage: Several | Cooling: Brown | Thermal Paste: Yes

Laptop - Dell G15 | i7-11800H | RTX 3060 | 16GB CL22 3200

Plex - Lenovo M93p Tiny | Ubuntu | Intel 4570T | 8GB RAM | 2x 8TB WD RED Plus 

Ooohhh nooo... someone will actually have competition now... are they going to respond by improving their product? Lowering their price? Nope, let’s get Congress involved so the competition goes away and they can continue being the only big player in the game.

3 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

First Rule of Free Capitalism: When someone makes a better product than you get Congress to pass a law. 😄

Read the article please...

They're not complaining about Apple having a competing App, they're complaining about Apple expecting them to be able to compete against Apple when Apple include their service for free with every device while they have to pay Apple a 30% cut of any revenue they make.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Samsung has smart tag.  I don't see Tile going after them.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Just now, Velcade said:

Samsung has smart tag.  I don't see Tile going after them.

Samsung don't charge them money to exist while offering a competing product for free.....

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

20 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

Tile has 4 different products each with their own set of features. Only some have replaceable batteries and only some are waterproof. Airtag combines them all into one at the same or lower price.

Tile only works with phones that have the Tile app installed. Airtag will work with every iphone in the world.

There is a reason why the Tile CEO was already talking about whining to congress 5 minutes after the announcement.

My comment was made without realizing that Tile has locked a lot of features behind a subscription since I last used them back in 2016-17. So I do somewhat see the appeal of Airtags instead of other, similar products.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Read the article please...

They're not complaining about Apple having a competing App, they're complaining about Apple expecting them to be able to compete against Apple when Apple include their service for free with every device while they have to pay Apple a 30% cut of any revenue they make.

They're not the only company that has to deal with that. Apple bundles all kinds of apps that still have 3rd party alternatives. And I don't see any of those people whining to congress.

1 minute ago, dilpickle said:

They're not the only company that has to deal with that. Apple bundles all kinds of apps that still have 3rd party alternatives. And I don't see any of those people whining to congress.

Just because you don't grass on the bully to the teacher doesn't mean what the bully is doing is OK.

There's a good argument for anti competitive behaviour here.

I’ll wait for reviews to come out, unless reviews show there is something really wrong or inconvenient with them, I’m considering picking up a pack of them. 

Why? Why is Tile whining about it? Apple also includes iCloud Mail yet most people will use GMail or ProtonMail anyway. Apple also includes Apple Maps, yet most will use Google Maps or HERE WeGo anyway. Apple includes iCloud storage, yet most will use Google stuff, pCloud or MEGA anyway. Why should Tile have some special treatment just because Apple decided to make something of their own within the ecosystem? When company is this whiny, my evil inner self kinda wishes them to die out and be gone. Isn't that how industry and competition works? Instead of whining to the congress, they should find ways to differentiate themselves from Apple and make features that Apple doesn't offer. Apple often makes things built in and simple, but don't go into super advanced fiddly features. That's where Tile could still have a market. But instead they opted to be whiny...

32 minutes ago, The_russian said:

Ooohhh nooo... someone will actually have competition now... are they going to respond by improving their product? Lowering their price? Nope, let’s get Congress involved so the competition goes away and they can continue being the only big player in the game.

That's because Apple is charging them and taking their sales at the same time. Apple is being a bully basically.

Maybe if Tile didn't bury most of their functionality behind a subscription fee, they wouldn't have to be so worried lol.

Gotta do what you gotta do I guess, but I got rid of mine as soon as they did that.

53 minutes ago, avg123 said:

competition is good, what are you talking about suggesting its bad?

43 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

That IS complaining about having competition. What do you think competition is? When two companies produce and sell that exact same product in the exact same way? No, its when companies compete to make better products for cheaper. They are literally just mad that apple made a better product than them.