New 14-Inch and 16-Inch MacBook Pro Models With XDR Displays + more

TheReal1980

According to MacRumors the new Macbook Pro 14" and 16" will be released during the second half of this year and will have a lot of features:

* A more powerful M1-chip.

* Mini-LED Display.

* MagSafe.

* No TouchBar (buttons instead).

* SD Card slot.

* HDMI port.

Apple yesterday unveiled a new 12.9-inch iPad Pro with a Liquid Retina XDR display that uses mini-LED backlighting to achieve up to 1,000 nits of full-screen brightness and up to 1,600 nits of peak brightness. With over 10,000 mini‑LEDs grouped into more than 2,500 local dimming zones, the display also has an impressive 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio.

Apple has so far branded its mini-LED displays as "XDR" displays, short for "Extreme Dynamic Range," and rumors suggests the iPad Pro won't be the only Apple device to feature the technology this year.

Taiwanese research firm TrendForce today reported that Apple plans to launch new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with mini-LED displays in the second half of 2021, in line with previous reports. The notebooks are expected to be powered by an Apple silicon chip and feature a new design with the return of an SD card slot and HDMI port.

There is a lot of anticipation for the new high-end MacBook Pro models, as Apple will likely equip the notebooks with an improved iteration of its M1 chip, perhaps with M1X branding or something along those lines. Reputable sources like Bloomberg's Mark Gurman and analyst Ming-Chi Kuo have also claimed that the Touch Bar will be replaced with physical function keys, and that a MagSafe magnetic power cable will return.

My thoughts

If this turns out to be correct then I will most likely buy the 16". Having that type of display, more powerful chip and most likely a bigger battery is something I would love to have. Throw a MagSafe connector on top of that and the deal is finalized for me.

Sources

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/14-inch-and-16-inch-macbook-pro-models-with-xdr-displays-expected-to-launch-later-this-year.2292589/

https://www.trendforce.com/presscenter/news/20210421-10771.html

If it ain´t broke don't try to break it.

18 minutes ago, TheReal1980 said:

According to MacRumors the new Macbook Pro 14" and 16" will be released during the second half of this year and will have a lot of features:

* A more powerful M1-chip.

* Mini-LED Display.

* MagSafe.

* SD Card slot.

* HDMI port.

My thoughts

If this turns out to be correct then I will most likely buy the 16". Having that type of display, more powerful chip and most likely a bigger battery is something I would love to have. Throw a MagSafe connector on top of that and the deal is finalized for me.

Sources

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/14-inch-and-16-inch-macbook-pro-models-with-xdr-displays-expected-to-launch-later-this-year.2292589/

https://www.trendforce.com/presscenter/news/20210421-10771.html

Damn it. I wanted a no touchbar mbp. But no regrets with my current purchase(ThinkPad with ryzen 5)

Make sure folks understand that this is market speculation and nothing but.  It's a "wish list" that's existed for years when it comes to the MBP.  Keep that in mind.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

52 minutes ago, TheReal1980 said:

A more powerful M1-chip.

* Mini-LED Display.

* MagSafe.

These rumors I can buy as legit.

52 minutes ago, TheReal1980 said:

SD Card slot.

* HDMI port.

These on the other hand... I don’t know. The recently announced iMac got rid of its SD card slot and including an HDMI port in one of their products which is something Apple hasn’t done since I was in high school (I’ve always wanted to use that line).

Arch is better than Ubuntu. Fight me peko.

I definitely hope the new flag ship MBP models have more than what Apple made for the M1 iMacs. 

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

2 hours ago, JLO64 said:

These on the other hand... I don’t know. The recently announced iMac got rid of its SD card slot and including an HDMI port in one of their products which is something Apple hasn’t done since I was in high school (I’ve always wanted to use that line).

Here is where I say the obligatory "remember the Trash Can".

For a while after Job's passing (even though the trash can was most likely OK'd by Jobs when he was still alive), Apple leaned on its design team much harder than people who worked and used the products. See this with the 2013 Mac Pro and the 2016 MacBook Pro. But I think I remember reading somewhere that in "response" to a lot of the criticism that Apple wasn't catering to Pros anymore, they made John Ternus the head of the Mac (he had only been the head of the iPhone and iPad hardware engineering up until then) to make their Pro products more "Pro". The first thing we have seen from that team is the 2019 Mac Pro with expandable PCI-e slots. A return to catering to professionals in striking contrast to the 2013 Mac Pro. They could do the same thing again with the MacBook Pro. In 2016, it was designed by design heads first and did not actually take into account the needs of a professional. This is why they're rumored to cut the Touch Bar, and add more ports. When Apple makes a mistake, they don't own it, they just quietly fix it and hope you don't ask too many questions.

And considering that multiple highly trusted analysts are saying this, I think the latter is going to be the situation in June.

I would by the 16" if all they did was update the mic/webcam, and screen to the Liquid Retina XDR display.

On 4/23/2021 at 9:18 AM, WereCat said:

Will it be still in a 16GB DRAM config only? 

No likely 16Gb will be on the base, the upper limit on how much apple will let you configure (and pay for) will depend on the memory tec they select but at least 64GB through i could see them going upto 96GB.  These machines will be a beast since the GPU has full unconstrained direct access tot hat memory as well so you effectively get a laptop with 58GB of VRAM if you buy the 64GB option! That will bring some of the CAD applications back to the mac like we have already see some of the rendering applications return.

But it is also possible that the base memory is 24GB or something if they more to HBM2e  as they might need to to keep the cpu/GPU fed. Apple CPU and GPU cores are able to chomp through memory bandwidth like no other cpus out there that means if apple do not want the cpu to be memory contain when under havers multi-core workloads they will need to increase the bandwidth a lot as they increase the core out. 

• 5 months later...

Do you guys think they will release the 14 inch macbook during an October or November even? (2nd fall event). 

33 minutes ago, xPhoenixHeat said:

Do you guys think they will release the 14 inch macbook during an October or November even? (2nd fall event). 

The rumors suggest an October event, although it's not clear if the systems will actually ship the same month.

On 4/22/2021 at 4:24 PM, Belgarathian said:

I would by the 16" if all they did was update the mic/webcam, and screen to the Liquid Retina XDR display.

16 inch already has a new updated mic array that sounds great. Also already has HDR capability (even if not technically in the official HDR spec). That said… it’s not mini-LED like the iPad. 

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20