Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is it possible to overclock my 10850k?

Alright so I have a 10850k, asrock z490m itx motherboard and 32gb of  trident z 3600mhz ram. I am trying to overclock using the Bios but for some reason everything just ignores the overclcoks I used hw monitor in conjunction with aida 64 and kept seeing my clocks go from 5.2ghz quickly to 4.8ghz and then down to 4.3ghz when running it for 10 minutes temps were below 80c. I also tried using Intel XTU but no matter what I do it just says overclock is disabled for my system. I also tried using throttlestop because I used to use it solely for for undervolting my laptop cpu and I felt I understood it very well but most of the setting were grayed out or not improving my system performance. I am now at a loss and thinking my motherboard has some kind of restriction on it or something but it seems like a lot of people aren't able to overclock this cpu from some of the threads I read. Please help and if you need more info don't hesitate to ask.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Marcus Kemp Intel CPUs use power limit throttling. You need to increase the turbo power limits or else your CPU will not be able to sustain its full rated speed. It is not temperature related. Strictly power limit related. The default long term turbo power limit is 125W. That is not enough for anything.

 

I use ThrottleStop to adjust the power limits while in Windows but you can also do this in the BIOS. I set both turbo power limits to their maximum values so they do not interfere with maximum performance.

 

image.png.9e982a3cd2f998bda3f0a5caf5fe098a.png

 

What version of ThrottleStop were you using? Version 9.3 gives you full access to these processors. You can overclock by pressing one button.

Press the 50 button for a 50X all core overclock.

 

image.png.5542fef4907fa60b6786fccbc2d3a643.png

 

Open Limit Reasons while you are testing. It will tell you the reasons for throttling. If the turbo power limits are left to their default values, you are going to see PL1 power limit throttling when the CPU is fully loaded. Power consumption will be stuck at 125W and the CPU will slow down as much as necessary so it does not exceed 125W. That is likely your problem at the moment. 

 

If you are not using ThrottleStop then use HWiNFO64 to monitor the throttling flags. HWiNFO is preferred over HWMonitor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, unclewebb said:

@Marcus Kemp Intel CPUs use power limit throttling. You need to increase the turbo power limits or else your CPU will not be able to sustain its full rated speed. It is not temperature related. Strictly power limit related. The default long term turbo power limit is 125W. That is not enough for anything.

 

I use ThrottleStop to adjust the power limits while in Windows but you can also do this in the BIOS. I set both turbo power limits to their maximum values so they do not interfere with maximum performance.

 

image.png.9e982a3cd2f998bda3f0a5caf5fe098a.png

 

What version of ThrottleStop were you using? Version 9.3 gives you full access to these processors. You can overclock by pressing one button.

Press the 50 button for a 50X all core overclock.

 

image.png.5542fef4907fa60b6786fccbc2d3a643.png

 

Open Limit Reasons while you are testing. It will tell you the reasons for throttling. If the turbo power limits are left to their default values, you are going to see PL1 power limit throttling when the CPU is fully loaded. Power consumption will be stuck at 125W and the CPU will slow down as much as necessary so it does not exceed 125W. That is likely your problem at the moment. 

yeah so all of that is grayed out in throttlestop like I said earlier... also my mobo doesn't seem to have any power limit setting or at least none that I can seem to find.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Post some screenshots of what is greyed out. The Turbo Ratio Groups should not be grayed out. Your mobile processor did not use Turbo Ratio Groups. Push that button. Open the TPL window and show me your power limits.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats running at Intel spec of 125watts.

Once you UNLOCK PWR limits on the board you can then tune accordingly..

TAU is Turbo Expiration Time, thats where after a minute at 4.8Ghz (200w ish) it will back off to 125w mode and 4.3Ghz (set by Intel spec)

 

 

 

 

Thse are all good videos to get you started once PWR is unlocked.

Esp the last two. 5Ghz Allcore should be relatively easy at lower volts, iE 1.22-1.28v somewhere is likely.. maybe 1.3 with some loadline (1.24v-1.27v at load)

 

I have a 10850k,j ust finished it 2 weeks ago and have 5.2allcore, 49Ringbus at 1.365v after loadline yet 5.1/49 only needs 1.33v and 5.0 is 1.27v for me.

 

Problem with MY 5.0Allcore is 49Ring needs 1.34v while the Cores themselves are fine at 1.27v,so at 5Ghz my ring is 47x 1.27v as its 48x/49x Ring thats a real pig for voltage on my chip.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

Post some screenshots of what is greyed out. The Turbo Ratio Groups should not be grayed out. Your mobile processor did not use Turbo Ratio Groups. Push that button. Open the TPL window and show me your power limits.

the turbo ratio group just won't let me hit ok so yeah and the tpl setting just don't do anything not taking screen shots because I am too lazy and don't want to download a program to do that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Marcus Kemp said:

don't want to download a program to do that.

To take a screenshot you press the Print Screen button on your keyboard. If you want to take a screenshot of a program, hold down the ALT key while you press Print Screen. This copies an image into the clipboard. Then you can go to a forum and press CTRL+V to paste the image into your conversation. Not that hard. No special software required. Windows also comes with the Snipping tool for screenshots. Type Snipping into the Windows search to find it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Thats running at Intel spec of 125watts.

Once you UNLOCK PWR limits on the board you can then tune accordingly..

TAU is Turbo Expiration Time, thats where after a minute at 4.8Ghz (200w ish) it will back off to 125w mode and 4.3Ghz (set by Intel spec)

 

 

 

 

Thse are all good videos to get you started once PWR is unlocked.

Esp the last two. 5Ghz Allcore should be relatively easy at lower volts, iE 1.22-1.28v somewhere is likely.. maybe 1.3 with some loadline (1.24v-1.27v at load)

 

I have a 10850k,j ust finished it 2 weeks ago and have 5.2allcore, 49Ringbus at 1.365v after loadline yet 5.1/49 only needs 1.33v and 5.0 is 1.27v for me.

 

Problem with MY 5.0Allcore is 49Ring needs 1.34v while the Cores themselves are fine at 1.27v,so at 5Ghz my ring is 47x 1.27v as its 48x/49x Ring thats a real pig for voltage on my chip.

There isn't even any power limit settings in my bios. Like nothing at all about it. It's split into three sub categories Voltage, Dram, and cpu configuration.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

To take a screenshot you press the Print Screen button on your keyboard. If you want to take a screenshot of a program, hold down the ALT key while you press Print Screen. This copies an image into the clipboard. Then you can go to a forum and press CTRL+V to paste the image into your conversation. Not that hard. No special software required. Windows also comes with the Snipping tool for screenshots. Type Snipping into the Windows search to find it.

There's not really a point to taking a screenshot though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Came across this guy.

He has a pt 1 and pt2, here is pt2.

He can't find the PWR selections either.

Maybe with a bios update it'll be available, beyond that... I don't know.

No TDP Options available whatsoever it seems...

After showing Windows/XTU Throttling, he goes through the Board Menu by Menu to show them not available.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

There's not really a point to taking a screenshot

If I see a screenshot, I might be able to help with the problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

Yeah tried that they did nothing 

Did you check the Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits box in the FIVR window? 

 

It is possible that the BIOS has locked the main turbo power limits. That might be why Intel XTU has no access to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

Did you check the Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits box in the FIVR window? 

 

It is possible that the BIOS has locked the main turbo power limits. That might be why Intel XTU has no access to them.

Xtu won't let me access anything at all. None of the option are changeable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

Xtu won't let me access anything at all.

That is why I was interested in seeing a screenshot of the ThrottleStop TPL window. It makes it easy to see when the BIOS has locked out power limit adjustments. Most ATX boards do not do this. For ITX they probably decided to do this because these CPUs can consume a lot of power when left unlocked.

 

image.png.5f8dc7cb6f86a907bba41fdca0a6a3f0.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, unclewebb said:

That is why I was interested in seeing a screenshot of the ThrottleStop TPL window. It makes it easy to see when the BIOS has locked out power limit adjustments. 

 

image.png.5f8dc7cb6f86a907bba41fdca0a6a3f0.png

Well if that 🔒 is what that means then yeah it's a bios lockout I guess

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no way to unlock the power limit register unless you have a modified BIOS. Setting a single bit in this register prevents any changes to the turbo power limits. You are limited to 125W long term which will kill the performance of a 10850K or 10900K.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×