Apple April 20 event - New iMac and iPad Pro with M1 chips, 'AirTags' and a new iPhone color

AndreiArgeanu

Summary

Apple has released a newly designed really thin iMac powered by the M1 and a new revised design of the iPad Pro also powered by the M1. AirTag which is an item used to locate items when they are lost. And last, the iPhone 12 and the mini come in purple.

Quotes

As anticipated, the iPad Pro and iMac got the new M1 chips. The iPad Pro also goes up to 2TB storage, 16GB memory, 5G connectivity and switches to Thunderbolt 4 from USB-C. The camera's new 12 megapixel sensor has an ultrawide field of view that can pan to dynamically reframe the shot for video calls, a feature called Center Stage.

image.png.2fd8e4948f46b5c7361aefefa6071b90.png

The 12.9-inch iPad Pro gets an iPaddy version of the Pro Display XDR, the 600-nit Liquid Retina XDR equipped with micro-sized mini LEDs for full array local dimming: 2500 zones. The 12.9-inch  starts at $1,099.

Skinny and brightly colored (hearkening back to the really old models), the completely redesigned iMac with M1 chip in some ways retains the issues of the old models, including the ports only on the back. It's got slim bezels, though and its skinny profile is sure to please everybody.

It starts at a pricey $1,299, though.

image.png.a02273c06875a42c03dd9fd2adfd0e34.png

It uses a 24-inch display in the 21.5-inch form factor with the same characteristics as the previous models. And it has the 1080p webcam that debuted in the previous model, benefiting from the image-specific intelligent processing in the M1 chip. It also gains a three mic array with many of the characteristics for conferencing that we've been seeing in better gear.

The speakers are new -- a 6 speaker system that generate more powerful sound, spatial audio and more accurate sound. Apple also highlighted how good the iMac will be for gaming with Apple Arcade, significantly faster than the old 21.5-inch model across the board.

It's got a MagSafe-like connector with an Ethernet connection on the brick and color matched keyboards with TouchID. Also color matched trackpads and mice.

Zooming into iPhone, the omnipresent mobile phone has gotten a new color. The color purple. 

image.png.8db38521ce58630981d3af475e2c68b0.png

Apple today introduced AirTag, a small and elegantly designed accessory that helps keep track of and find the items that matter most with Apple’s Find My app. Whether attached to a handbag, keys, backpack, or other items, AirTag taps into the vast, global Find My network1 and can help locate a lost item, all while keeping location data private and anonymous with end-to-end encryption. AirTag can be purchased in one and four packs for just $29 and $99, respectively, and will be available beginning Friday, April 30.

Front and back view of AirTag personalized with a smiley-face emoji.

My thoughts

The new iMac is definitely the most interesting thing about this launch. The design does scream of the iPhone 5C to me more than it does of the iMac G3 though my biggest worry is the small amount of memory, all iMac models, at least the ones listed on Apple's website come with only 8gb of memory to be shared by the cpu and gpu meaning that the iMac may have similar high swapping issues like the M1 macbooks when utilized under high loads which signficantly increases wear on the SSD. While it' s great to see iPad get the new M1 I'm afraid the locked down nature of IOS and/or iPadOS is definitely going to be a significant drawback to many but it's definitely welcomed.

Sources

CNET Apple

Summary

At their 'Spring Loaded' event this morning, Apple announced a new iMac design. The computer comes in a 24" size (something that hasn't been seen in an iMac since the Early 2009 model), features the Apple Silicon M1 chip, and comes with some improved peripherals.

Apple has brought back a range of colors (Blue, Green, Pink, Silver, Yellow, Orange and Purple) similar to the original iMac G3. They have also moved the power supply to an external unit. This is something that no other iMac has ever had. The power supply integrates the ethernet connection, supposedly as a way to keep cable clutter off of desks. 

The peripherals have also been updated. The Magic Keyboard now has a Touch ID option that brings Touch ID to desktop Macs for the first time. The Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad also have options with color matched aluminum to pair nicely with the iMac. 

Pricing for the new iMac starts at $1,299 for a 7-core GPU model. The 8-core GPU iMac starts at $1,499 and includes more color choices than the 7-core model, as well as two additional USB 3 ports.

Quotes

"The new iMac joins the incredible family of Mac models powered by M1, including MacBook Air, 13-inch MacBook Pro, and Mac mini, marking another step forward in Apple’s transition to Apple silicon." - Apple

My thoughts

I've been waiting for this for a while as a Mac user. I wasn't so sure that we would see new iMacs today, but we did and they look decent in my opinion.

Sources

Apple Press Release - Apple Newsroom

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

Hi everyone,

As per usual, here are my notes from todays event. I hope you find them somewhat informative.

Have an awesome day!

Apple "Spring Loaded" Event - April 20th 2021.

--- Notes by DeeKay86 - @TheRealDeeKay86 ---

--- Tim Cook on screen.

- First event of 2021.

- Apple HQ is now Carbon Neutral!

- By 2030, Apple will be 100% Carbon Neutral for end to end product journey etc.

--- Apple Card:

- Customers LOVE the Apple Card.

- There is a lack of fairness with Credit Cards in the industry.

- Announcing: Apple Card allows spouses to share credit lines and build credit equally.

- Card for anyone over the age of 13 - "Apple Card Family".

--- Apple Podcasts:

- Biggest change since its debut. Newly designed Apple Podcasts App.

- Apple Podcast "Subscriptions" for ad-free listening/early access etc to help creators.

--- iPhone 12 Update:

- iPhone 12 is the most popular smartphone in the world.

- Another colour announced for iPhone 12!

- Playing music from Willy Wonka! A PURPLE iPhone 12! Lol!

- Pre-Order from this Friday! Launch April 30th!

Epic Apple transition to another host! This is great lol – Apple always has the best transitions!

--- Caroline Wolfman-Estrada now on screen.

--- Find-My app updates:

- New Accessory... (We all saw this coming with the leaks the last few months!)

- Showing an ad for this new product. A dude looking for his keys...

- Wow OK, the app literally points him in the direction of his keys!!

--- APPLE AIRTAG FINALLY announced!!

- You can personalise the Tag, and get accessories for it!

- Keep track of the Tag with the app and it also uses the U1 chip/sensors to precisely find the Tag.

- Very very cool to be fair!

- AirTag is private - even Apple can't see it.

- Also has unwanted tag detection so nobody can Tag you without you knowing lol!

- $99 for a 4-pack or $29 each!

- Order this Friday - Launch April 30th!

- They also have a Leather Edition!

--- Back to Tim Cook!

--- Apple TV:

- AppleTV+ Originals - talking about how good it is etc lol.

- Showing an ad for what’s coming this year for the Apple Original comedy "Ted Lasso" - Season 2 - July 23rd.

--- Cindy Lin now on Screen to talk about AppleTV 4K.

--- AppleTV 4K Update:

- Next Gen AppleTV 4K now has the A12Bionic SoC.

- HDR, Dolby Vision, and now HFR HDR as well! – Nice!

- iPhone 12Pro allows Dolby Vision 60fps, so now AirPlay supports HFR HDR! – About time!

- New Colour Balance feature now improves TV Picture Quality - use the iPhone light sensor to check TV colour balance!! YOU CAN CALIBRATE the TV Colour etc all with the iPhone and AppleTV 4K!! That is INSANE. RIP to all professional TV calibrators because this is pretty freaking cool!

-- New Siri Remote - touch enabled!

- Siri Remote now also controls your TV.

- 100% Recycled Aluminium.

- $179 for 32GB or $199 for 64GB - Order April 30th and Available second half of May!

--- Back to Tim Cook:

--- Mac update!

- “New Apple Silicon is a revolution”. People love it!

--- John Ternus now on screen to talk about Mac and Apple Silicon!

- Breakthrough performance and power efficiency.

- Thousands of Universal Apps now available.

- INTRODUCING...

- Wait what?! WOW! COLOURED iMACS! We have gone OLD SCHOOL!!

- All NEW iMac Announced!

- New form factor!

- Clean and simple design.

- There are so many colours lol! 7 of them!

- Back of the iMacs are very saturated with colour. They look great!

- The iMac is so slim - thanks to the M1 processor!! It's like a giant iPad!

- Logic board is smaller etc thanks to M1. Also stays under 10dB. 50% quieter than older iMac.

- Only 2 small fans though - Classic Apple throttling ahead? I hope not.

- 24" Screen! – 11mm thin!

- 4.5K Retina.

- P3 wide colour gamut. 500 nits.

- Also has TrueTone.

- Low reflectivity coating.

--- iMac Cameras, Mics and Speakers UPDATE: - Navpreeet Kaloty on screen.

- 1080P FaceTimeHD camera.

- Noise reduction algorithms, tone mapping etc etc.

- “Best camera ever" in a Mac.

- New Mic system - beam forming mics. “Best mic system ever in a Mac”.

- Room filling sound! Sound is accurate with good bass and power. 6 speakers in total!

- Supports Spatial Audio and Dolby Atmos!

-- Performance:

- Wake instantly.

- Apps are super responsive!

- Run hundreds of tabs at once on Safari.

- 85% Faster CPU than previous iMacs.

- 2x faster GPU than previous iMacs.

- Edit 5 Streams of 4K footage at once.

- 3x faster machine learning!

- Run iPhone and iPad apps natively thanks to M1.

- Calls and Texts also come to iMac from your iPhone (as usual).

- Handoff between iMac, iPad, iPhone etc etc etc.

- All content is always in sync across all devices (as usual).

-- Connectivity!

- 4 USB-C ports. 2 Thunderbolt. Support for 6K Display.

- New power connector that is magnetic!

- 2m coloured woven cable.

- Ethernet connects to power adapter instead of the iMac!

- New Keyboard, Mouse and Trackpad to match the iMac!

- New Emoji key etc.

- TOUCH ID now on the Keyboard!

- TouchID communicates via an encrypted channel to the secure enclave! Awesome!

- Fast user switching!

- Magic Mouse is now also colour matched, as is the Magic Trackpad!

- Showing a sizzle trailer for the new iMac!!

- 100% recycled Rare Earth Magnets.

- Starts at $1299 and $1499 in 7 colours.

- Order April 30th. Launch second half of May!!

--- John Ternus back on screen!

- Ok showing a dude running on the Apple HQ roof!!!

- Ok we have gone full on Mission Impossible!!

- WTF is going on.... lol

- He's gone through the air vents and now he is hanging like Tom Cruise! LOL

- HE IS STEALING THE M1 PROCESSOR!! Oh teh noes!

- He just dropped the M1 in to an iPad!!!!

- HE PULLED HIS FACE OFF AND NOW HE IS TIM COOK!!! LOLOLOL!

--- NEW iPad PRO ANNOUNCED!! FINALLY!! I AM GETTING THIS!!

-- iPad Pro now has the M1 Processor!

- Next Level performance!

- Worlds fastest CPU Core.

- 50% jump over the previous iPad Pro in CPU power!

- This iPad is now 75x faster than the first iPad lol (cool, but who cares…).

- 8-core GPU - 40% faster than previous iPad Pro.

- 1500% faster than first iPad lol - not sure why we need to know this...

- PRO MOTION DISPLAY.

- Support for Xbox/PS controllers.

- Fastest device of its kind.

- New 16-core Apple Neural Engine.

- High Bandwidth memory.

- All day battery.

- 2x FASTER Storage.

- 2TB STORAGE OPTION!

- USB-C WITH THUNDERBOLT and USB4 support!!!! “Fastest port EVER!”40Gbps!

- Supports 6K Super Retina XDR output!

- iPad Pro now has 5G!!!! - Up to 4Gbps and MMwave!

- iPad Pro now also has WiFi 6!!

- OK now he is on a boat and on his iPad!

--- Fiona O'Leary on stage - iPad PRO CAMERAS:

- Built-in Studio Quality mics.

- LiDAR Scanner.

- Motion Tracking.

- Pre-Viz with Green Screen right on the iPad.

- Architecture work can be done in real time on screen!

- Smart HDR 3.

- Incredible low light performance.

- FaceID.

- iPad now has a proper camera system like iPhone12 Pro.

- New UltraWide camera JUST FOR iPad. 12MP 120FOV.

- New mode called Centre Stage!

- Follows you as you move around!!

- The wide view just zooms in and out to follow you on video calls lol – seems to work well.

--- Raja back on screen!

-- Liquid Retina Display.

- New iPad screen now has LIQUID RETINA XDR! 1600 NITS PEAK / 1000 NITS / 1,000,000:1 contrast!

--- Heidi Delgado on screen:

-- XDR Experience on iPad Pro - New array of LEDs!

- New Mini-LED which is 120x smaller!

- There are 10,000 LEDs in the screen - lol! Wow.

- Previous iPad had 72 LEDs!

- 25 LOCAL DIMMING ZONES!!

- OK I am loving this display! Holy hell.

--- Raja back on screen.

- You can now take this new XDR iPad Display everywhere to work on video, images etc. Perfect for filmmakers!

- Supports HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.

- 120Hz Touch Sensing.

- WHERE IS MY 120Hz SCREEN GOD DAMMIT!!

- Now showing developers reacting to the new iPad Pro.

- OK developers are basically creaming their pants for the new iPad Pro - they all clearly love it and its new Liquid Retina XDR Display. I really like this a lot. I need one. Seriously, my 2018 iPad Pro now needs an upgrade... it does.... shhh it does…

-- Accessories:

- Apple Pencil.

- Keyboard Folio / Magic Keyboard - now available in White!

-- Environment: 100% recycled Aluminium and Rare Earth Metals.

- 11inch $799.

- 12.9inch has Liquid Retina XDR for $1099!!!! - I guess the 11inch has no XDR! (Yep, no Liquid Retina XDR for 11inch, that one only has Liquid Retina with 600 nits peak brightness).

- Order April 30th - Launch Second Half of May!

--- Tim Cook back on screen!

-- Conclusion to todays event…

--- It's over! Thank you for reading my crazy notes! ---

***--- Notes by DeeKay86 - @TheRealDeeKay86 ---***

Hello Ladies and Gents! I'm DeeKay86 and I'm seriously passionate about all things tech (not to mention a tonne of other things!)

Part Picker Link: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/8nhXD3

Product page: iMac 24-inch - Apple

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

Wish there was a larger model with a higher RAM ceiling (and an SD card slot, please and thanks), but this looks good for what it is. I like that Apple is bringing back colours — frankly it's needed in an era when computers are usually endless shades of grey.

That the 27-inch iMac model wasn't updated suggests I'll get what I want, just later. That Apple isn't updating the higher-end iMac today because it has to implement features like a new CPU and a more flexible memory architecture. I will be disappointed if I can't buy a high-end all-in-one in yellow, though.

4 minutes ago, DeeKay86 said:

Card for anyone over the age of 13 - "Apple Card Family".

I can hear the vbuck purchases from here. Did Apple say what restrictions will be available? 

7 minutes ago, DeeKay86 said:

John Ternus back on screen!

- Ok showing a dude running on the Apple HQ roof!!!

- Ok we have gone full on Mission Impossible!!

- WTF is going on.... lol

- He's gone through the air vents and now he is hanging like Tom Cruise! LOL

- HE IS STEALING THE M1 PROCESSOR!! Oh teh noes!

- He just dropped the M1 in to an iPad!!!!

- HE PULLED HIS FACE OFF AND NOW HE IS TIM COOK!!! LOLOLOL!

I had to do a double take reading this. Did this actually happen? 

8 minutes ago, DeeKay86 said:

Built-in Studio Quality mics

I'm curious what they mean by "studio quality." Are they aiming for XLR quality or something? 

Main PC: the literature club machine

Intel I5 9600k @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI z390-a pro | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB 3000Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB | Seagate barracuda 3.5" 2.5tb  | Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 | Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB DUAL OC | Thermaltake Core P3 TG Snow Edition

Daily drivers

OPPO A52 | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Razer Deathadder V2 Pro | Beryodynamic DT 990 PRO | Focusrite Scarlett solo gen 2

1 minute ago, Commodus said:

Wish there was a larger model with a higher RAM ceiling (and an SD card slot, please and thanks), but this looks good for what it is. I like that Apple is bringing back colours — frankly it's needed in an era when computers are usually endless shades of grey.

That the 27-inch iMac model wasn't updated suggests I'll get what I want, just later. That Apple isn't updating the higher-end iMac today because it has to implement features like a new CPU and a more flexible memory architecture. I will be disappointed if I can't buy a high-end all-in-one in yellow, though.

Yeah, they're still selling the current 2020 Intel 27" iMac. Interestingly most of the 21.5" iMac options have been removed apart from the ripoff 2017 model. 

3 minutes ago, Commodus said:

That the 27-inch iMac model wasn't updated suggests I'll get what I want, just later. That Apple isn't updating the higher-end iMac today because it has to implement features like a new CPU

Pretty much my thoughts. M1 is a low-range CPU (I think lowest from the new Apple's own according to leaks) so they release only low end iMacs with it.

Apple targeted my one marketing weakness... pastel colored machinery....

I really do appreciate the return to colored designs... but what of the 21.5" iMac?  M1 refresh with that display size next?

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

4 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

Interestingly most of the 21.5" iMac options have been removed apart from the ripoff 2017 model. 

Of all versions to keep up? 

Intel I5 9600k @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI z390-a pro | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB 3000Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB | Seagate barracuda 3.5" 2.5tb  | Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 | Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB DUAL OC | Thermaltake Core P3 TG Snow Edition

Daily drivers

OPPO A52 | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Razer Deathadder V2 Pro | Beryodynamic DT 990 PRO | Focusrite Scarlett solo gen 2

1 minute ago, CT854 said:

Apple targeted my one marketing weakness... pastel colored machinery....

I really do appreciate the return to colored designs... but what of the 21.5" iMac?  M1 refresh with that display size next?

That might happen eventually. There's only one 21.5" option left now, and it's the worst one in recent years. It's also nearly 4 years old. 

Just now, mon1ka said:

Of all versions to keep up? 

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Apple doesn't actually want people to buy that iMac, and for good reason, so it's surprising to me that they've kept it up.

5 minutes ago, mon1ka said:

I can hear the vbuck purchases from here. Did Apple say what restrictions will be available? 

^ Nope. - also LOL! 

I had to do a double take reading this. Did this actually happen? 

^ Yes!! it was hilarious!

I'm curious what they mean by "studio quality." Are they aiming for XLR quality or something? 

^ I have no idea, but judging by their "Studio Quality" Macbook mic, it should be good!

Hello Ladies and Gents! I'm DeeKay86 and I'm seriously passionate about all things tech (not to mention a tonne of other things!)

Part Picker Link: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/8nhXD3

2 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

Apple doesn't actually want people to buy that iMac, and for good reason, so it's surprising to me that they've kept it up.

I think they'll take it down in a few weeks. Probably wanna rope in the last few suckers

Daily drivers

Just now, mon1ka said:

I think they'll take it down in a few weeks. Probably wanna rope in the last few suckers

They did that with another Mac, I think it was the MacBook Air. They kept the old model in stock for a few months then took it down out of nowhere.

I'm a bit sad that they didn't introduce M1X. I guess we will be waiting until WWDC for it unless they announce a surprise pro event for May. But it makes sense. Make the consumer iMac as thin as possible. Who's going to buy an iMac 24" and need the power of a 18-core Xeon. The M1 will be more than enough for 99% people buying this machine.

Those wallpapers though. INSTANT flashback to the Mac OS 9 wallpapers with the G4 Cube. In fact, this whole iMac design really reminds me of the G5 iMac. It's something with the white bezels.

-Triple Apple Threads merged-

These were all made within minutes of each other so I cant exactly say "PlEaSe ChEcK nExT tImE" but also please double check before hitting enter please and thank you ❤️ 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

11 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

That might happen eventually. There's only one 21.5" option left now, and it's the worst one in recent years. It's also nearly 4 years old. 

Even though its not a good option, it's the only "cheap" option, the M1 based mac that replaces it is $200 more, while losing upgradable RAM with less selection of ports.

but why does it still have a chin? WHYYY? could have easily gotten rid of it since the speakers are down firing, not front firing

I understand the customer-base that this serves, but I am still confused by the imac.

The base model doesn't seem to have ethernet or usb-a, which seems like a really odd omission from the perspective of corporate customers.

Also, apparently the ethernet will be run through the proprietary power supply (magnets, how do they work), and that seems like it's going to cause significant confusion for a lot of people.

But hey, what do I know? I'm just a bitter IT guy. It's cute, it's fast, and it'll definitely sell like crazy, I just don't really get some of the compromises.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

12 minutes ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

Who's going to buy an iMac 24" and need the power of a 18-core Xeon

A fortnite clan of small children who are planning to qualify for worlds on Macs (assuming your talking about consumers here.) 

Daily drivers

Just now, avg123 said:

but why does it still have a chin? WHYYY? could have easily gotten rid of it since the speakers are down firing, not front firing

The chin is an iconic part of the look of the iMac love it or hate it also you can grab it with out worrying about  getting grubby finger prints on you screen...

damn thing is fire IDC if I'm betraying the PCMR big zaddy iMac come to me 

I expected to buy an iPad as my first Apple-Device ever for "supercharged Illustrator-Photoshop-Fresco-experience" (and reading my newspaper). Now I'm really thinking about, if the "drawing tablet" really needs more processing power than my "Work from Home"-PC. Luckily, my privately owned gaming PC is still more powerful *phew*
My inner nerd even wants the full 16 Gigs of RAM. But that's so expensive for a tablet.. 

I mean... the trusty iPad Air would be sufficient... right? 😕

The colours are pretty.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

3 minutes ago, SeanChronicR said:

The chin is an iconic part of the look of the iMac love it or hate it also you can grab it with out worrying about  getting grubby finger prints on you screen...

damn thing is fire IDC if I'm betraying the PCMR big zaddy iMac come to me 

you can wipe away grubby fingerprints but you cant wipe away that ugly chin. the iphone also used to have a chin and a forehead but they got rid of it. no need for a chin on the imac. all screen all day

2 minutes ago, avg123 said:

The chin is where the motherboard is. I mean they COULD'VE gotten rid of the chin and moved the motherboard literally anywhere else, but that would've made it .2mm thicker!

I'm just mad that they didn't put their logo on it like the older iMac. That would've made it look more like an intended design than a waste of space.

4 minutes ago, FakeNSA said:

I understand the customer-base that this serves, but I am still confused by the imac.

The base model doesn't seem to have ethernet or usb-a, which seems like a really odd omission from the perspective of corporate customers.

Also, apparently the ethernet will be run through the proprietary power supply (magnets, how do they work), and that seems like it's going to cause significant confusion for a lot of people.

But hey, what do I know? I'm just a bitter IT guy. It's cute, it's fast, and it'll definitely sell like crazy, I just don't really get some of the compromises.

I think your issues will be solved with the iMac Pro that's rumored to come out later this year.

Something that makes me a bit confused is that the new Magic Keyboard is I think the ONLY wireless keyboard on the market that has biometric authentication. Yet it has no backlighting... Apple's design decisions are crazy.

Something that *actually* looks like an innovation though is the new color calibration feature on the Apple TV. I know calibrators exist, but to have it just be with your phone and an Apple TV (two things you might already have when you're going to buy a new TV), pretty "magical".